JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Today is Election Day in US

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1989 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Does anyone have any quick remarks or quips they use to respond to people / coworkers / about not voting? My boss hates Donald trump and is really big on voting etc and it’s hard to keep his attention for long? Anyone have quick responses or easy ways they stand up for Jehovah and not vote? 

Edited by Whitley M

Ask them about the issue that is most important to them, usually there is a biblical solution to the issue.

You can also ask them why they are voting and if they ever wished there was a better way to fix things.

If you want just a quick quip, tell them you don't vote because you found a better way for your dreams to come true....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Tortuga said:

Ask them about the issue that is most important to them, usually there is a biblical solution to the issue.

You can also ask them why they are voting and if they ever wished there was a better way to fix things.

If you want just a quick quip, tell them you don't vote because you found a better way for your dreams to come true....

Lol you are right! Can’t wait until Jehovah makes this all right... I was shaking my head this morning looking at the churches who’s facilities are being used for voting... :confused:

My husband just came back from voting.  It's the first time he's voted in thirty years.

Still attempting to rearrange the deck furniture on the Titanic, when he should be abandoning ship.:(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

4 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Still attempting to rearrange the deck furniture on the Titanic, when he should be abandoning ship.:(

Planting flowers on the broad road to destruction...:(

Painting a burning building..:(

Polishing a rusty car...:(

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Whitley M said:

Does anyone have any quick remarks or quips they use to respond to people / coworkers / about not voting? My boss hates Donald trump and is really big on voting etc and it’s hard to keep his attention for long? Anyone have quick responses or easy ways they stand up for Jehovah and not vote? 

I mentioned Jesus Kingdom is no part of the world. John 18:36. 

20 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

My husband just came back from voting.  It's the first time he's voted in thirty years.

Sorry to hear this! Sending you some love 

You friends in this country with unbelieving mates know what I’m going through. There I stood with the dust cloth in my hand, saying to myself, (as the tv blared on) “I could so do without this”. And, politics is a new thing in his life. Relatively.

A sister texted me. She’s out in service, “on ejection day”. Then she corrected herself. I went with her first comment!

Soon, yes, ejection day! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

1914 ... Titanic cruising 

2018 ... Titanic already has a large crack ... sinking fast 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Hi Sister Whitley,

I like your topic because I also need to be prepared to have a good response/give a witness when others ask about voting.

If I need to say something quick, I was thinking about saying something like this based on the statements in the WT below.

"As a Christian, based on Bible teachings, I try my best to respect and cooperate with whomever is elected as a government official. Jesus himself did this, while he did not endorse or support any particular official, he showed respect and cooperated with government officials. Have you ever read in the Bible that Christians are to view themselves like an "Ambassador"?

*** w99 11/1 p. 28 Questions From Readers ***
(We) respect and cooperate with the authorities who are duly elected in such elections. (Romans 13:1-7)

*** w99 11/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***
Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Christ Jesus is now the enthroned King of God’s heavenly Kingdom, and they, like ambassadors, must announce this to the nations. (Matthew 24:14; Revelation 11:15) Ambassadors are expected to be neutral and not to interfere in the internal affairs of the countries to which they are sent. As representatives of God’s heavenly Kingdom, Jehovah’s Witnesses feel a similar obligation not to interfere in the politics of the countries where they reside.

And I don't think I would tell just anyone the following, maybe a progressive Bible Study, but I just view these as some of my favorite reasons for not voting

*** lv p. 214 par. 5 Flag Salute, Voting, and Civilian Service ***
Jehovah viewed Israel’s desire for a visible ruler as a sign that they had rejected Him.—1 Samuel 8:7.

*** w99 11/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***
A third factor to consider is that those who have a part in voting a person into office may become responsible for what he does. (Compare 1 Timothy 5:22, The New English Bible.) Christians have to consider carefully whether they want to shoulder that responsibility.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Oh thanks for telling me.

Do you mean the entire post is hard to read? Or just the font where I am giving my response?

is this better?

"Have you ever read in the Bible that Christians are to view themselves like an "Ambassador"?

This is the same font, but I just put it in bold. But if this is still hard to read on a phone then I won't use it anymore.Thanks for letting me know

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

If a very, very brief comment is called for, you can always tell them you already voted - when they give you that odd look because they know we don't vote, tell them you voted for Jesus and the Kingdom

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Many in my generation were jailed for the draft. It always brought a startled look when one of them would say "I can't vote, I am a convicted felon." 

Speaking for myself I can say "I had the privilege of voting once for all time, that was on Febraury 22, 1952."

(Now you know why I am 'Old'.)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I'm just glad that after today it will be over ...

I am getting so tired of those political ads

Hopefully, after today I won't have to keep cleaning all that mud off the TV!

I sure do get tired of all those "mudslinging" ads

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 minute ago, Qapla said:

I'm just glad that after today it will be over ...

I am getting so tired of those political ads

Hopefully, after today I won't have to keep cleaning all that mud off the TV!

I sure do get tired of all those "mudslinging" ads

I agree...

"I approve this comment"

10 hours ago, Qapla said:

If a very, very brief comment is called for, you can always tell them you already voted - when they give you that odd look because they know we don't vote, tell them you voted for Jesus and the Kingdom

I do similar.  If asked, pre-election,  if I am registered or planning to vote, I say I already voted. If I think that is not enough I will add 'back in '73'...If the person voices a query or some other remark I add that I believe in a Theocracy and I voted for my King. I symbolized that vote by water baptism...

10 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Oh thanks for telling me.

Do you mean the entire post is hard to read? Or just the font where I am giving my response?

is this better?

"Have you ever read in the Bible that Christians are to view themselves like an "Ambassador"?

This is the same font, but I just put it in bold. But if this is still hard to read on a phone then I won't use it anymore.Thanks for letting me know

I won't speak for Richard but I also struggle with it some. Larger would be better for me but I can handle whatever you wish to do. It is beautiful script,  I just have to squint some to read it. 

I don't wish to stifle your artistic expression,  I don't mind if you continue to use it...I have a magnifying glass....

Here's a quip:

I cast my "vote" already on.... (date of baptism). I did it then because I know Jesus is going to make the earth great again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

or...

I cast my "vote" already on... (date of baptism) because that is when I realized Jesus is going to make the earth great again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

At my office, my co workers know I don't vote and why. I'll just say this:  People in this world will be kind to you and treat you nice, as long as you are exercising your freedoms in a way they approve of. 

Once you think for yourself and stand for what you believe in, you're their enemy despite the fact you have every right to refuse to vote. They'll blame you for their political opponent getting into office instead of the people who ran to the polls and voted for him/her.

The counsel to not get too comfortable or too cozy and friendly with non-Witnesses is wise.

My wife worked with a sister yesterday that was prepared to answer the question head on. She had scriptures lined up and was ready to make a defense..

Ok...

I remember a talk where the brother described how cowboys manage a heard of cattle. They don't stand in front of the cattle, they come in from the side and direct the herd in the right direction. I think that's a good description of tact. We don't have to defend our faith by attacking every issue head on, we can tactfully look for a common ground and direct the issue in the right direction. The results can be more pleasant, just ask any cowboy...