JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I know this will be terribly boring to many but I feel I have to share it with you anyway.

I love history in general and also my own and have been doing my family tree for about 20 years, off and on.

I decided it was time to take a DNA test.  Because I am female I can only get my maternal line, I am trying to organise one of my 2 remaining brothers to do our paternal line.

Anyhoo! the maternal results are in:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe - 58%

Ireland & Scotland - 38%

European Jewish - 4%

Guess which one fascinates me the most!!! :D

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

3 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Yes, the boring 'convict' line must give way to the 4% spice...

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

What convict line? I came out here of my own free will.  Even paid full fare.  No 10 pound pom 'ere, mate.  :lol:

I know. Crazy, right?? :D

5 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

I know this will be terribly boring to many but I feel I have to share it with you anyway.

I love history in general and also my own and have been doing my family tree for about 20 years, off and on.

I decided it was time to take a DNA test.  Because I am female I can only get my maternal line, I am trying to organise one of my 2 remaining brothers to do our paternal line.

Anyhoo! the maternal results are in:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe - 58%

Ireland & Scotland - 38%

European Jewish - 4%

Guess which one fascinates me the most!!! :D

I hope you have some middle east backgrounf. Because all should have that backgrounf since our ancestors came from there.

... I came out here of my own free will.  Even paid full fare...  

I know. Crazy, right?? 

Wow! I had heard of the rumour that people voluntarily came here, but I never thought I would meet one!
Welcome!
To think, you paid to come here where others were sent here as punishment.
Amazing. And paid full fare!

Better than a reality TV show. Lol
(I'm sure it's very nice where you are. Agape)

PS I got the Jewish spice as well. We could be related!

Older {waiting for wiser}

10 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

I hope you have some middle east backgrounf. Because all should have that backgrounf since our ancestors came from there.

I think the European Jew would account for the Middle Eastern background being as that is where they originally came from. :)   Jews had arrived in Europe by 90ce, while the Romans were still in power and the first Jewish settlement in England arrived after William the Conqueror in 1066.  However, I believe my Jewish line in England is more recent than that.  I just wish I could read German. :lol:

7 hours ago, futurepromise said:

I'm waiting for my test kit to arrive. I am using Family Tree. Which one did you use?

I used Ancestry because that's where I have my tree and it was easiest for me. Also, because I am looking for connections as well, they have the largest database 

Let us know what your results are when you get them. :)

I do see a problem with the DNA tests. They will give many a report saying that you are 100 percent European. This may be your latest relatives in that area. But if you  go further back, then it all changes and many don't like this because they want to be 100 percent white. Oh well!!

I don't remember if I posted my DNA but this is the results:

England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe   83%

Ireland and Scotland                                         13%

Norway                                                                  2%

Benin/Togo                                                           1%

Sweden                                                                  1%

I

15 hours ago, Naturale said:

How much is a DNA test kit?

Have a look at these.  They all have promotions on at the moment. :)  These are probably mostly in USD.

I think Ancestry has a special at the moment for GBP69. My Heritage should also give you the cost in GBP if you go to their site and put in your region.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-dna-test/

5 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Have a look at these.  They all have promotions on at the moment. :)  These are probably mostly in USD.

I think Ancestry has a special at the moment for GBP69. My Heritage should also give you the cost in GBP if you go to their site and put in your region.

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-dna-test/

Ok thanks,  I'll have a look.  Are these things accurate do you think?

14 hours ago, Naturale said:

Ok thanks,  I'll have a look.  Are these things accurate do you think?

As accurate as they can be at this time.  The more the technology improves the more they can narrow it down. 

I have been researching my genealogy for about 20 years now and although it was nice to have have the Jewish connections confirmed, I wasn't surprised it was there, as I had already come to the conclusion that there must have been some Jewish blood in my ancestry.  

Personally, my first choice would be Ancestry as they have a bigger database; my second choice would be MyHeritage.  Just bear in mind that although you can download your raw data from both sites, Ancestry will not allow you to upload your data from another site, but MyHeritage will (which is probably double dutch to you at this time but easy to understand once you start doing the testing).

Have a further look at this site which is the same as the one in the link above but narrows down between Ancestry and MyHeritage. 

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/myheritage-dna-vs-ancestrydna/

Edited by GeordieGirl

15 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Sale now on... b0a91c467a8fc5d453d55e724d5c1c96.jpg

That's USD, I think.  The English site is GBP69, which I did mention to Susanna in my first reply to her and Australia is AUD79.

Edited by GeordieGirl

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

As accurate as they can be at this time.  The more the technology improves the more they can narrow it down. 

I have been researching my genealogy for about 20 years now and although it was nice to have have the Jewish connections confirmed, I wasn't surprised it was there, as I had already come to the conclusion that there must have been some Jewish blood in my ancestry.  

Personally, my first choice would be Ancestry as they have a bigger database; my second choice would be MyHeritage.  Just bear in mind that although you can download your raw data from both sites, Ancestry will not allow you to upload your data from another site, but MyHeritage will (which is probably double dutch to you at this time but easy to understand once you start doing the testing).

Have a further look at this site which is the same as the one in the link above but narrows down between Ancestry and MyHeritage. 

https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/myheritage-dna-vs-ancestrydna/

I tested with both Ancestry and Myheritage.  For me, Myheritage was more accurate, even after Ancestry's recent update. 

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

1 hour ago, Fluff said:

I tested with both Ancestry and Myheritage.  For me, Myheritage was more accurate, even after Ancestry's recent update. 

Isn't it interesting how we all have such different experiences. :)

I uploaded my raw data to MyHeritage and I got rather different results.  I found Ancestry narrowed it down to a more compact area which gave me a much better idea of where the people came from within the 300 year time frame, starting from 1725, and it coincides with my nearly ancestor tree up to that point.   MyHeritage results were much broader and doesn't connect nearly so accurately with my tree.  I would love to much more accurate results going further back than 1725 but we may have to wait for the resurrection in new system to find our older ancestors. :) 

2 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

My shot is AUD $89

(Under the pic. Inc 10 % local tax)

fd0b7de42bbadafef8dc442c44084e5c.jpg785626948f3dfa89576b212b9f3d7483.jpg

My apologies .. I think I was looking at MyHeritage which contains the word 'ancestry' and confused me. :whistling: (which isn't hard to do) :lol:

Susanna is in England though so she will probably have to pay GBP63 (not 69) which is what they are now currently offering. There's no fathoming how they work out the exchange rates. 

11 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

That's USD, I think.  The English site is GBP69, which I did mention to Susanna in my first reply to her and Australia is AUD79.

That's what I'll buy myself for Christmas :)  Then I can find out what the dodgy side of the family was all about :)