JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tours through Headquarters in NY

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1951 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hi everyone

My family and I are travelling to NY from Australia in April next year with some friends from our congregation, they invited us along to a tour of Patterson/Wallkill with their family, the nice thing is my husband who is not in the truth is happy to attend and enjoy the experience with us, he has studied before and then stopped but still shows interest in the truth so I am so thankful of his willingness to join us in the tour

My question is, for someone like him who needs a faith boost, is there any one of the 3 out of Warwick, Patterson or Wallkill that would benefit him more? I don't want to overwhelm him either and do all 3 tours as I don't want to put him off! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

It is the atmosphere (which will be present in all the sites) will leave a powerful impression. The friendliness to strangers is unsurpassed, especially considering this is powered by love, not money.
My thought would be to do the Bible Tour. It has an interesting history, which subtly unlines Jehovah manoeuvring matters for us. It should build his confidence in benefits we can enjoy now, and what is promised for our future. Heb 4:12 comes to mind.
You will see how the whole organisation is built on these Holy writings, and 'feel' the love it fosters - first-hand!
(I'm a little jealous, but I'm more excited for you. Agape!)

Older {waiting for wiser}

Hi Sister Melanie,

That is great that your husband is also going to visit Bethel. :)

Since you feel that going to 3 facilities might be too much for him, which is considerate of you like the WT discussed, 1 suggestion is that you could put a list together of the features/departments at each facility and see which ones would most interest your husband. Then you can make your plans based upon which features/departments your husband would appreciate the most. No one knows him better than you. :)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Hi Brothers Tony & Neil! thanks for your reply :) Which out of the 3 facilities is the bible tour a part of? Is that the one with the wall of Jehovah's name in many languages? I was also wanting to take my youngest son through the video productions and the "Caleb & Sofia" set 

there is so much cool stuff it's going to be hard to decide which one I need to leave out :(  but you are right, no matter what simply being there with the love of the brothers would be enough to move him regardless of the information he takes in. 

I have downloaded each facilitie's tour brochure after doing some research so this will help a lot!

If your husband likes mechanical things - you will want to make sure you go to Wallkill ... that is were the press is and the binding and shipping.

It might make a difference on where you are planning to stay. Warwick and Wallkill are on the same side of the Hudson River. 

Warwick is pretty much an all day tour if you want to really see the exhibits - Wallkill can be seen in a morning or an afternoon. Patterson can also be seen in a half-day visit. Tuxedo does NOT have tours.

All of them have a full helping of Jehovah's spirit and you can feel the love and trust at any of the facilities.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

If you tour Walkill and Patterson the same day, it will be a long day.  You would have to check times available for the tours, to see if you can organize and synchronize the number of people, the travel between cities and the available tour times.  I know you will enjoy whatever tours you go on, they are very nice.

I just went on the tours last month and, as mentioned above, a lot will depend on what interests your husband, but also how much time you have available.  I'm sure your friends will have suggestions.  JW Broadcast and JW.org have several videos that should help your husband decide where his interest lies.  Perhaps you could preview them first.  I remember one or two videos on the shipping system using the little computers on the brothers' arm, then I got to see them in action!  Having watched the video on the Green Globe awards made me much more aware of my surroundings once I got to the facilities and made me proud knowing our brothers were so conscientious.  There is even a video with Bro Couch about how the property was acquired. There are several on the Bible exhibits and how some of the Bibles were acquired for the exhibit.

Personally, although I enjoyed seeing the printing facility and I appreciate how the system has changed over the years, it didn't wow me as much as the tours at Warwick.  I LOVED the display of the History of the Bible.  It gave me goosebumps to see Jehovah's name written in an original Bible that is hundreds of years old, and to see clearly how Jehovah sped things up in the 16th century when devout individuals from several different countries began to translate the old manuscripts into their languages..even risking death to do it.  The display gave me a real heart appreciation for provisions we sometimes take for granted.  Also in Warwick is a display on our recent history.  Everything is self guided with a headset so you can go at your own pace.  The little town of Warwick had some adorable shops and nice places to eat.

OH! but the gorgeous original artwork at Patterson is breathtaking in person.  If your husband loves art, he will be very impressed.

If at all possible, try to go on the tour at the Metropolitan Museum.  Specifically the "Woman and her Offspring" (www.Oasisgrouptours.com). The tour guide is a brother or sister. The theme is how Satan has clearly offered an alternative to the Offspring promised in Gen 3:15 from the beginning, however, the venue is a secular museum. Perhaps your husband will appreciate how much archeology supports the Bible.  After the tour you can see the rest of the museum as well.

Bottom line, if you can't do it all, I'd recommend Warwick and the tour at the Met.  Have a wonderful trip. 🙂 

I haven't visited Warwick yet. I loved Wallkill. I think it's an interesting visit even for non-Witnesses. You get to see a huge printery, with the immense paper rolls, the ink drums, the press throwing out magazines at top speed and the conveyor belt taking the publications everywhere. Not something you see every day.

Patterson is a nice visit but IMO there is not that much to see. Basically offices and classrooms. If I had to drop one visit, it would be Patterson.

6 hours ago, carlos said:

Not something you see every day

I guess that all depends - some of my girls work for a newspaper and seeing presses in action is a daily thing :shrugs:

I would like to add - the landscape at Wallkill is very nice - the view of and from Warwick is incredible!

I realize that no one can see everything, but I will add my praise to the comments about the tour of the Metropolitan Museum "Woman and her Offspring".  the brothers and sisters at Oasis do a wonderful job of giving us a detailed perspective of the history of the "Woman", "Messiah" and God's chosen people down through the ages.  As seen through the relics and objects of archaeology and tying them into the pictures, drawing and references in our publications, you get a beautiful understanding of Jehovah's protection of the ancestral line of Jesus.

I would take this tour if I could add it to the schedule.  Another thread here on the forum asks about "life changing", however. I would say this tour is "Faith Affirming" for sure.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:04 AM, MelFromOz said:

Hi everyone

My family and I are travelling to NY from Australia in April next year with some friends from our congregation, they invited us along to a tour of Patterson/Wallkill with their family, the nice thing is my husband who is not in the truth is happy to attend and enjoy the experience with us, he has studied before and then stopped but still shows interest in the truth so I am so thankful of his willingness to join us in the tour

My question is, for someone like him who needs a faith boost, is there any one of the 3 out of Warwick, Patterson or Wallkill that would benefit him more? I don't want to overwhelm him either and do all 3 tours as I don't want to put him off! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

If Australia has a printing branch office, you could skip Wallkill, and just go there. At Patterson you’re not allowed to look inside the classrooms etc, while Warwick has one of a kind exhibits...

I have downloaded each facilitie's tour brochure after doing some research so this will help a lot!

Melanie - can I ask, where did you find the tour brochures?

Myself and another sister who lives in Canada, are planning the trip in July.

SOOOOOOO looking forward to it!

Hope this isn't snatching away from this thread -  but, is the Stanley Theatre still on the visitation list?

48 minutes ago, 50gumbys said:

, where did you find the tour brochures

Hi! I recently downloaded all 3 brochures..Warwick, Patterson and Wallkill. Go to JW org and tap the search icon (magnifying glass). Type in Tour Brochures..you will see a list of countries..Go to page 2 and scroll down to United States and tap..Scroll down until you see the download option for that facility, then find the next 2 locations and repeat..hope that helps. I am learning ro use the search option more these days!:coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

It might be simpler to

• Go to JW.org (homepage)
  • Click on About Us (a menu with several options should drop down)
  • Click on Offices & Tours (it should be the third one down on the right-hand list)
  • This will take you to the Office and Tour Information page

This page has descriptions, downloadable brochures and links to book you tour dates

Enjoy

Of course, you could also just click on the Offices & Tours link above and go directly there :thumbsup:

Edited by Qapla