JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

David Attenborough predicts doom for human civilisation

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1968 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Trying really hard to refrain from adding my own sarcastic comments.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/famed-naturalist-david-attenborough-warns-world-leaders-human-civilisation-could-collapse-ng-4d55eb49551f9612e575e0817e5ece73?utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PerthNow+PM+Update+4%2F12%2F2018

British broadcaster and environmentalist David Attenborough has urged world leaders, meeting in Poland to agree ways to limit global warming, to get on and tackle “our greatest threat in thousands of years”.

“Leaders of the world, you must lead,” said the naturalist, given a “People’s seat” at the two-week UN climate conference in the Polish coal city of Katowice alongside two dozen heads of state and government.  “The continuation of our civilisations and the natural world upon which we depend, is in your hands,” he said.

The world is currently on course to overshoot by far the limits for global warming agreed in the landmark 2015 Paris accord on climate change, which were intended to prevent more extreme weather, rising sea levels and the loss of plant and animal species.

The Katowice talks are billed as the most important UN conference since Paris, coming ahead of an end-of-year deadline to agree a “rule book” on enforcing action.

Representatives of some of the most powerful countries and biggest polluters were conspicuous by their absence, and the United States is quitting the UN climate process.

Michal Kurtyka, Poland’s deputy environment minister and president of the talks, said that without success in Katowice, Paris would not be a success, as it had only decided what was needed, not how it could be done.

Moreover, the wider political environment had changed.

“The wave of optimism and global co-operation that carried us to and through Paris has now crested, broken and is now tumbling,” he told delegates

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

So! Georgie Girl.  You have given quote to Sir Davids presentation.  What now?  Lets be honest.  David has for more than many of us become so close to reality.  Yes, even I have at times signed and said, no, no Dave.  David has devoted his life to natural science.  At times his documentaries have been dictated by program directives.  David has for so long been torn by gainhing some understanding.  Yes.  All of this.  The universe, planet earth, you and me.  David has had this problem, dilemma.  How could such a loving grand creator now over centuries of time, stand by and allow the world of civilization to become as it now is.

2 hours ago, endurance said:

So! Georgie Girl.  You have given quote to Sir Davids presentation.  What now?  Lets be honest.  David has for more than many of us become so close to reality.  Yes, even I have at times signed and said, no, no Dave.  David has devoted his life to natural science.  At times his documentaries have been dictated by program directives.  David has for so long been torn by gainhing some understanding.  Yes.  All of this.  The universe, planet earth, you and me.  David has had this problem, dilemma.  How could such a loving grand creator now over centuries of time, stand by and allow the world of civilization to become as it now is.

I'm sorry Michael, I'm totally confused by what you have said here. Please can you explain what you mean because having re-read your comment a number of times, it feels that you have totally misunderstood the reason I shared this information.  However, I may have misinterpreted your comment.  :)

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

David's right - the planet is doomed.  But, hey, the powers that be and the ruler of this world don't care.  They are the fools mentioned in Ps 14:1

The foolish one says in his heart:

“There is no Jehovah.”

Their actions are corrupt, and their dealings are detestable;

No one is doing good.

What kind of person is this fool, the man who denies the existence of God? He is not intellectually ignorant. Rather, the Hebrew word na·valʹ points to a moral deficiency. Professor S. R. Driver, in his notes to The Parallel Psalter, says that the fault is “not weakness of reason, but moral and religious insensibility, an invincible lack of sense, or perception.”

The psalmist goes on to describe the moral breakdown that is a result of such an attitude: “They have acted ruinously, they have acted detestably in their dealing. There is no one doing good.” (Psalm 14:1) Dr. Hastings sums up: “Counting on this absence of God from the world and on impunity, men become corrupt and do abominable deeds.” They openly embrace ungodly principles and discount a personal God to whom they have no wish to be accountable. https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1997721#h=23:0-26:567

As we know, truly no hope without Jehovah....