JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help making a time tracking app

Our congregation website is working out great. There is a tool to report time using a google form which feeds into a google sheet. I'd like to make something like that form that could submit to that sheet but also be used by publishers to track their time, so it would fill our master sheet, and they'd each have a sheet on their drive that would keep track of their entries. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might do that?

One of the great things about the website is that it acts like an app because people save it to their home screens and have a button to hit.

Edited by bigvince

It is terribly easy. The content pdf files are all based on several google sheets, this is great because I can make a change anywhere and the website is immediately updated.. When at the hall, we have an AirPrint printer and print schedules right off the site. 

There is an app called Ministry Assistant that has a start / stop button on the front to time your service. I generally forget to either start it or stop it, do I just key in my time for the report.

Did you want to try and have this app feed into your portal?

Just a thought. No doubt there is a simpler solution for those that are no so 'tech savvy.'

Older {waiting for wiser}

PS Great looking portal!

1 minute ago, TonyWenz said:

There is an app called Ministry Assistant that has a start / stop button on the front to time your service. I generally forget to either start it or stop it, do I just key in my time for the report.
Did you want to try and have this app feed into your portal?
Just a thought. No doubt there is a simpler solution for those that are no so 'tech savvy.'

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png
Adding it is an option, but would they need to have the app installed? And would I be able to link the fields to google sheeets so our secretary receives it all as he does now?

I think what I need to do is create a google sheet that can be downloaded by a publisher and added to their account, it would have dropdowns for dates and they could enter placements, etc. then there would be a submit button that would submit the entries totaled to the google sheet. Not quite sure if that will work yet.

No, just html and css. I'm trying to learn js though.

I'm in exactly the same boat! I'm very comfortable in those two markup languages but I only know bits and pieces of JS.

I'm on Telegram messenger too btw if you want to connect (not on fb).

One recommendation I'd suggest for your site is doing a double check about how much personal information it makes sense to put on a public site. (Names, phone number, etc)

I noticed there are many names and one phone number.

Cheers!

The names are listing who is in each service group with no contact info, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I hope it won't be an issue for the publishers there, but you may want to ask them permission before putting even just their names on the web, especially since they are all published together there in the same spot; all together, that amounts to essentially a database of first and last names.

Perhaps you could mitigate this by using first name and just the initial of the last names instead. Otherwise, you should probably ask each person's permission to include their last name in such a database (especially one that can be viewable but anyone with access to the web!)

In fact, in some countries, the law may even *require* that permission be sought before doing this with their names.