JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apply Yourself to Reading & Teaching

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1868 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hi everyone.

Our congregation just received this booklet in hardcopy and I know the softcopy too has been on JW Library for awhile now.

But looking through it, i see similarities to our Theocratic School Book. Is it meant to replace it?

What was the FDS' purpose for this booklet?

Screenshot_20181211-171544.png

The instructions are also in JW Library.

*** S-38 chap. 1 pp. 3-4 pars. 7-8 Instructions for Our Christian Life and Ministry Meeting ***
7. Apply Yourself to Reading and Teaching: Beginning the week of January 7, 2019, the Life and Ministry Meeting chairman should use the Teaching brochure as the basis for commendation and counsel. Each student should work on the study point that appears in parentheses next to the assignment in the Life and Ministry Meeting Workbook. During the first week of each month, the Life and Ministry Meeting chairman will consider with the audience one study point from the Teaching brochure. The “Record Your Progress” section of the brochure is designed for student use and should not be marked by the chairman.
8. Counsel: Following each of the student assignments, the Life and Ministry Meeting chairman has approximately one minute to provide commendation and counsel based on the Teaching brochure. When the chairman introduces a student’s assignment, he will not announce the study point. However, when the student’s assignment is finished and after some appropriate words of commendation, the chairman may announce the study point and state why the student did well on that point or kindly explain why the student should give that particular point further attention. The chairman may also comment on other aspects of the demonstration if he feels that this would benefit the student or the audience. Additional constructive counsel based on the Teaching brochure or the Ministry School book may be given privately after the meeting or at another time, either on the assigned study point or on another study point.—For more information regarding the role of the Life and Ministry Meeting overseer and the role of the auxiliary counselor, see paragraphs 13 and 16.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

31 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

*** S-38 chap. 1 pp. 3-4 pars. 7-8 Instructions for Our Christian Life and Ministry Meeting ***
Additional constructive counsel based on the Teaching brochure or the Ministry School book may be given privately after the meeting or at another time, either on the assigned study point or on another study point.—For more information regarding the role of the Life and Ministry Meeting overseer and the role of the auxiliary counselor, see paragraphs 13 and 16.

So it appears that the BE book is not obsolete. While the simplified Teaching Brochure will be used for the meetings, the counselor and we ourselves can use the BE book privately for help in improving in more detailed areas of teaching & speaking. I love the BE book and I think it is 1 of the biggest reasons for improvement among so many brothers in teaching from the platform. >:D<

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

5 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

So it appears that the BE book is not obsolete. While the simplified Teaching Brochure will be used for the meetings, the counselor and we ourselves can use the BE book privately for help in improving in more detailed areas of teaching & speaking. I love the BE book and I think it is 1 of the biggest reasons for improvement among so many brothers in teaching from the platform. >:D<

Br. Neil, I hope any counselor using the BE book does so as a side reference or auxiliary advice and not as a point of counsel.  The poor student would have no way of preparing for a critical point if he has no idea where the counselor  will go or what point he would pick.  It could be disheartening (especially to new students who have never used that book before).

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Br. Neil, I hope any counselor using the BE book does so as a side reference or auxiliary advice and not as a point of counsel.  The poor student would have no way of preparing for a critical point if he has no idea where the counselor  will go or what point he would pick.  It could be disheartening (especially to new students who have never used that book before).

Hi John, 

Yes, I don't think any counselor will give later counsel on a point from the BE book as if the student should have done this or that in his/her part. Instead, the BE book can be used to show the student, especially more experienced students, specifics that will help them improve. For example, the 1st study point in the new brochure is, "Effective Introduction". So let's say in January a brother gives a talk, working on this study point. The counselor approaches the student after the meeting to see if he has a few minutes to discuss his talk. The counselor feels that for this experienced student to improve with his introductions, he needs to include what is mentioned in the Teaching brochure which the brother had not done in his talk:

*** th study 1 p. 4 Effective Introduction ***
• Show why the subject is important. Adapt what you say to the practical needs of your listeners. They should clearly understand how the subject can help them personally.

The student had instead given a lengthy illustration for his introduction. So when the counselor shows the brother this point about "Show why the subject is important", the brother asks, "But why? Doesn't a good illustration in the introduction make people more interested in the talk?". Since a more detailed answer/explanation is needed, the counselor then takes out his BE book and shares with the brother this more detailed explanation:

*** be study 38 p. 218 pars. 2-3 Interest-Arousing Introduction ***
Show Why the Subject Is Important to Your Audience.

If you will be speaking in the congregation, you can be reasonably sure that those in your audience will in a general way be interested in what you discuss. But will they listen as a person does when he is learning something that definitely involves him? Will they pay attention because they realize that what they are hearing fits their situation in life and because you are stirring in them a desire to do something about it? That will be true only if you considered your audience carefully—their circumstances, their concerns, their attitudes—when preparing your talk. If you did, then include in your introduction something that indicates that.
Whether you are speaking from the platform or witnessing to an individual, one of the best ways to arouse interest in a subject is to get your audience involved. Show how their problems, their needs, or the questions that are on their minds are related to the subject that you are discussing. If you make clear that you are going to go beyond generalities and come to grips with specific aspects of the matter, they will listen even more intently. To do that, you must prepare well.

So counselors can use the BE book to provide more complete answers and to help brothers/sisters improve in more specific areas of teaching/speaking. But the BE book would not be used to criticize a student on a study point that he/she had not even prepared for. The instructions say that, 

" Additional constructive counsel based on the Teaching brochure or the Ministry School book may be given privately after the meeting or at another time, either on the assigned study point or on another study point."

So the counselor may share with the student "another study point" from the BE book, such as help with poise or the conclusion, but the counselor would not use "another study point" in the BE book to tell the brother/sister, "You should have done this in your talk". No, the BE book will be the extra backup tool that is needed to help more experienced students improve. I was always grateful when the counselor or another elder would share with me some other study point that they felt could help me progress. The extra detailed help caused me to improve much more rapidly, even though I was still a slow turtle  :D

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

11 minutes ago, jwhess said:

You were a "turtle" too...Does Tortuga know....😎

Yes John, I had a chance to be the JWtalk mascot, being the #1 Turtle. But then Richard came along and flipped me over on my shell and beat me to it. (td)

On 12/11/2018 at 6:10 PM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I'm glad too.. good instruction points are good instruction points.. There is more detail in the BE book which may benefit the student. 

The brochure seems to follow the simplification route we have been seeing.. Less wordy

Also .. you could not get a speaker to assembly level on the Brochure alone but you could with the BE book.

Edited by Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I did my part last night, the third return. The brother and I discussed my counsel point, then we both said 'good bye' to the BE book. Not good bye forever, of course, because we will still use it extensively. It offers so much for those who are beyond the milk of God's word. It is a treasure that will never be out of step with the Chariot. The new book will stay with the simplified instructions that we need as this system drags to its death. The BE will always be there to sharpen our skills.

Hi everyone.
Our congregation just received this booklet in hardcopy and I know the softcopy too has been on JW Library for awhile now.
But looking through it, i see similarities to our Theocratic School Book. Is it meant to replace it?
What was the FDS' purpose for this booklet?

Screenshot_20181211-171544.thumb.png.66c2e93c8f04d03276d2e1c09b368f45.png
Hi! In fact, from January we will start using it in our meeting instead of the 'Benefit From Theocratic Ministry School Education'. But for the latter, we will continue using it in our individual studies.

Sent from my Archos 70 Xenon Color/JOSEPH KOKOU using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

23 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I love this video!

Its interesting that it appeared to be released on JW.ORG first. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got a call Wednesday night to be a substitute on Thurs. - Last demo, point nine; Using Visual Aid. I employed the help of the person originally assigned as assistant. Knowing she was a bit nervous, I made it easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Since all assignments were initial calls, as soon as I got to the Hall, I checked in with the brother who was assigned to "stage" to request having chairs set up, as well b/c, my setting was outdoors @ a bus stop.  I also called ahead to the brother who is in charge of sound and asked if I could have my visual aid on the screens; It was page one of "Listen to God and Live forever." 

The assistant did mess up a little, but we plan for that and are able to recover just like at the door. It went okay, I think.  All three parts had a different approach to the initial call. 

I noticed that the  new TEACHING book does not have 'timing' as a counsel point. Of course, we still want to be mindful of our time. I wanted to share some ways the brothers are there to help us with our talk set up.  What things have you noticed and enjoyed about our new  "Teaching" book for midweek meeting?

Edited by Dismal_Bliss

Restored lost post content - Bob