JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting for January 2019

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1883 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 minutes ago, The German said:

No, he said :

Parts 2 and 3 will be released over the next couple of weeks.
They’ll include talks given by five members of the Governing Body.

Exactly. That’s what I just said. ??? The next couple of weeks not the last couple of weeks.

For last months broadcast it was announced as later in the month.

Edited by Mykyl

4 minutes ago, The German said:

No, he said :

Parts 2 and 3 will be released over the next couple of weeks.
They’ll include talks given by five members of the Governing Body.

I'm not sure he was being that specific, rather just letting us know the other two parts would be coming. Still, if my memory serves me correctly, it seems like there is a two week gap between the releases of parts 1 and 2 for these types of programs. Part 3 is usually a week after part 2. However, with the first Monday this January being the 7th, that pattern may not hold up. If that happens, then there is a two week gap between part 3 and February's broadcast. That gap could be filled by "Be Courageous" RC videos now that everyone has had theirs.

Having said all that, trying to parse the brother's words like this is a posthumous Tupac album might be a huge waste of time and we should all just be patient. 😁

I was rushing out to pick up my kids from school. Sorry for the rushed reply.

I think what we have here is a translation issue. Two and couple mean the same thing.  So next two or next couple mean the same.  The word I was focused on was next. Sorry for the confusion. 

Edited by Mykyl

5 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

I was rushing out to pick up my kids from school. Sorry for the rushed reply.

I think what we have here is a translation issue. Two and couple mean the same thing. Sorry for the confusion. 

My impression was that he was saying they would be released within the month, he didn't specify whether that was the next two consecutive week, the last two consecutive weeks or alternate weeks. 

Since it doesn't appear that we will have anything released today, then Bosko conclusion about the next two weeks appears to be right.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My impression was that he was saying they would be released within the month, he didn't specify whether that was the next two consecutive week, the last two consecutive weeks or alternate weeks. 

He did actually say the next couple of weeks. Last months broadcast he said later in the month. Just saying what was said. 

The German quoted the exact words.

Maybe wishful thinking but I tend to take what somebody says as what they mean. Even if that’s not quite how it’s meant. 🤔 Ignore the nutter. )🤫(

Edited by Mykyl

It is almost an idiom in American English.  When you are speaking on the 7th of January and referring to a coming series of events and you are trying to say they will arrive shortly (but at an undefined interval)....we might say they will arrive in a couple of weeks.  It is generic for "hopefully, before February" since there are only 3 Mondays to follow....:sunshine:

As Br. Lett said, "In less than six months..."...😄

By the way, I’m going to be around on this forum (possibly to the annoyance of some 😉over the next couple of days. That does mean tomorrow and Wednesday not starting Thursday Friday. 😁 Language is such a weird thing.

Im mucking around. 😄

Edited by Mykyl

1 hour ago, Mykyl said:

By the way, I’m going to be around on this forum (possibly to the annoyance of some 😉over the next couple of days. That does mean tomorrow and Wednesday not starting Thursday Friday. 😁 Language is such a weird thing.

Im mucking around. 😄

My wife and I have spent almost 50 years trying to figure out what "next" means.

Is the day after tomorrow "this coming Wednesday and the 23nd is the next Wednesday (after that)"?  Or is the day after tomorrow the "next Wednesday"?  If it is, what is "this" Wednesday?

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

My wife and I have spent almost 50 years trying to figure out what "next" means.

Is the day after tomorrow "this coming Wednesday and the 23nd is the next Wednesday (after that)"?  Or is the day after tomorrow the "next Wednesday"?  If it is, what is "this" Wednesday?

I;m sure someone will explain it next time...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 1/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Tortuga said:

I hope that same link works, it's possible we'll need to add 'am' to 'jwb', however I'll let the smart guys figure that out for us...

Well, I'm not one of the "smart guys." But I think it would be safe to say that parts 2 & 3 would be at the same January link, even if there are two weeks between parts 1 and 2. For example, in December we had the Gilead Graduation. But parts 1, 2 & 3 were all at December's link, even though there was a similar two-week gap between parts 1 and 2.

Either way, it should come up within the next six months.

6 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Ok, now they are just teasing us with the annual meeting :lol:

Didn't they do the same in December with the Gilead Graduation, skip a week after the Monthly Program/Part 1 to get the other 2 parts to the program?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Just now, rocket said:

Didn't they do the same in December with the Gilead Graduation, skip a week after the Monthly Program/Part 1 to get the other 2 parts to the program?

I think they did.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, jwhess said:

What next?

Would you believe the day after yesterday is the day before tomorrow!!!

But then tomorrow the day after yesterday would no longer be the day before tomorrow -  am I right?

I hope you all don't mind a sense of humor!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, Mykyl said:

Exactly. That’s what I just said. ??? The next couple of weeks not the last couple of weeks.

For last months broadcast it was announced as later in the month.

So true - the next couple of weeks are not the last couple of weeks.

But in a couple of weeks the last couple of weeks will not be either the next couple or .....Hmmmm!

1 hour ago, Newtonian said:

So true - the next couple of weeks are not the last couple of weeks.

But in a couple of weeks the last couple of weeks will not be either the next couple or .....Hmmmm!

Wouldn't it be the next couple of weeks from the date of his post? 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Every country, language or culture has unique expressions.  In America, this expression is used with our loved ones (especially our children) to put off bad news.  A child wants a piece of candy and you want them to wait until after their evening meal, so you say "...you can have one in a couple of hours".  You know full well it is going to be at least 3 hours until the meal and about an hour to eat the meal and then  (sometime later) you will allow them the treat.  We do not usually say, "You can eat that candy 4 hours and 33 minutes from now>.  

It is just a relaxed expression here to refer to something in the not-to-distant future.  A couple of hours, a couple of days, a couple of weeks and so on.    By contrast, to say a "few weeks" seems to indicate a somewhat longer time frame.  So if the next installment of the video was actually known to be January 21 2019, then that could have been said.  If it was planned but not yet scheduled, then it could have been said as 2 or 3 weeks.  There were only 3 Mondays left in the month when it was stated.  So to be kind and friendly, the term "couple of weeks" was used. It was not meant to be a literal time as calculated on the Atomic Time Clock.

This is one of those vagaries of an intercontinental use of English.  Let's all look forward to Monday the 21st...is that next Monday or this Monday?