JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite Tabletop Games?

7 hours ago, ste said:

Europe is widely regarded as the best Ticket to Ride map, so that would be a good choice. 

I appreciate your comment- thank you. 

I have Airlines with USA map,  so Ticket to Ride Europe sounds better to me. 

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I love this topic.  I enjoy card games and board games but find that a lot in this area are not so much into it.  It is fun to hear what others play.  Some of those games are $40.00 plus dollars on Amazon.  Is that the going rate for these games or should I try another vendor?  

1 hour ago, Jeanie said:

I love this topic.  I enjoy card games and board games but find that a lot in this area are not so much into it.  It is fun to hear what others play.  Some of those games are $40.00 plus dollars on Amazon.  Is that the going rate for these games or should I try another vendor?  

I pay for games around $60-$80 AU ... so $40 plus looks normal.

Please consider that those boardgames are not cheap to produce ..therefore the pricing.

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

33 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Please consider that those boardgames are not cheap to produce ..therefore the pricing.

Might have to restrict beverages at the game table because of the cost of replacing games. My sis discovered this the hard way.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

5 hours ago, Jeanie said:

Except for Family Feud, I got all my games at thrift stores for under five bucks a piece. 

Most of the time, they are just a couple of dollars each.

The store workers check the games when they are donated and only put the ones with

all their pieces on the shelves.

I have an incredible collection of board games.  Alas, I have no one to play them with. :(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

27 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Alas, I have no one to play them with. :(

I don’t have a lot of board games ♟ but I’ll make the 3rd one with you 2...no one to play games with either.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Except for Family Feud, I got all my games at thrift stores for under five bucks a piece. 

The store workers check the games when they are donated and only put the ones with

I have an incredible collection of board games.  Alas, I have no one to play them with. :(

I don't have anyone to play board games with either.  One day we should get together and have a weekend board game athon.  :)  I get most of my games at thrift stores too and enjoy the hunt for specific items.  :)  I wish you were closer Linda!

On 12/25/2018 at 1:39 PM, Qapla said:

We used to play "Resurrection" and it didn't cost anything

If you get winked at, you toss your penny back n the bowl and announce, "I'v been resurrected".

We've played an identical game - dunno what it was called, we called it "the winking game". But instead of being resurrected you were assassinated xD 

Your version is a bit more Witness friendly :)

On 12/25/2018 at 2:38 PM, tekmantwo said:

Denise and I played 'Bananagram' a bit when we lived in Iowa, we have the game here but haven't played in a while...

Is that the game that looks like Scrabble? What makes it different?

On 12/25/2018 at 11:25 PM, Gregexplore said:

There is nothing better the family worship night and boradgame afterwards... simple life in action.

Wow, so genius. I'm always thinking of ways to incorporate games into FW, but simply having games afterward makes so much sense xD

On 12/26/2018 at 2:05 PM, ste said:

Some Bible themed board games I can recommend:

Settlers of Canaan. A rebadged version of Settlers of Catan. Flavour text on cards is Biblically accurate.

Kingdom of Solomon. A worker placement game that also involves resource management. Highly recommended.

Kings of Israel. A cooperative game where each player is a prophet attempting to cleanse sin from the ten tribe kingdom of Israel. Each turn covers the reign of a king. Similar game mechanics to Pandemic.

My favourite non Biblical board game is Keyflower.

These sound great. I was working on an idea for a Bible/Risk type game to learn the Bible lands better and Kings of Israel sounds like a better version of that idea xD 

Also, I've never played Pandemic, but I've been meaning to. 

Kingdom of Solomon sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever played a proper worker placement game. I've been looking into getting one. You know any good starters? Or possibly any games of that genre you can simply play with a Poker card deck?

On 12/26/2018 at 10:04 PM, Gregexplore said:

I am thinking of buying Ticket to Ride - Europe

Anyone here played it?

I have watched you tube "play" of the game, and it looks bit mechanical and boring ...please convince me otherwise.. hope I am wrong.

Like Ste, I've heard it's the best version. 

12 hours ago, coonie77 said:

We have many games like that, and some of my favourite were already mentioned (e. g. Bohnanza, Canasta or Mastermind).

I also love to play "Outburst" and "Abalone".

Never heard of these last two. are these games you buy or play with a standard deck?

9 hours ago, Jeanie said:

Settlers of Catan - for instance - is usually $40-$50. My last in store purchase of a game was $70. (Risk)

4 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I've gone to Thrift stores before to harvest parts. Recently picked up some game that had a few hundred, colored 10mm cubes that are useful in tons of games. 

What would you say is the best few games you've gotten from thrift stores? I have never seen anything terribly interesting to me there. 

8 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

I have never seen anything terribly interesting to me there. 

Me too, just usual Kmart or Target games ...nothing special,  never seen Rio Grande, Abacus games there etc.

Bottom line if you want a good game, then paying full price is still the best option.

Boardgames last "forever", so the initial investment pays dividends of enjoyment for years to come.

Game that cost $60 servers well for at least 10 years...that's $6 a year. ..not bad. (I have games in very good condition for more then 15 years.)

13 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

I've gone to Thrift stores before to harvest parts. Recently picked up some game that had a few hundred, colored 10mm cubes that are useful in tons of games. 

What would you say is the best few games you've gotten from thrift stores? I have never seen anything terribly interesting to me there. 

Let's see...

Mastermind...Scrutineyes...Oodles...Life...Option... Yahtzee...Scrabble...Trivia Adventure...Monopoly 

^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I'm not sure it's considered a "tabletop" game, but we always loved Scattergories.

it is great for all ages and all levels of education.

We often play a version of it went traveling on a long trip with a group of people. The driver always calls out his answers first. Since he cannot write them down! 

17 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

Kingdom of Solomon sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever played a proper worker placement game. I've been looking into getting one. You know any good starters? Or possibly any games of that genre you can simply play with a Poker card deck?

I can't think of a single worker placement game played with a deck of cards. A super simple worker placement game that is probably the cheapest worker placement I know is probably Carcassone. A little bit more expensive but far more sophisticated is Stone Age. Keyflower takes it to a whole new level but is likely too complex for someone new to boardgames. 

For all here I would say if you can find someone in your congregation or circuit who is into boardgames then maybe invite them round and ask them to bring a few games. 

Just as an aside, I have a game called Tortuga (not the one previously mentioned in this thread) which is a really nice social deduction game, well worth playing. 

12 minutes ago, ste said:

I can't think of a single worker placement game played with a deck of cards. A super simple worker placement game that is probably the cheapest worker placement I know is probably Carcassone. A little bit more expensive but far more sophisticated is Stone Age. Keyflower takes it to a whole new level but is likely too complex for someone new to boardgames. 

For all here I would say if you can find someone in your congregation or circuit who is into boardgames then maybe invite them round and ask them to bring a few games. 

Just as an aside, I have a game called Tortuga (not the one previously mentioned in this thread) which is a really nice social deduction game, well worth playing. 

single worker placement?  What does that mean?  Like you can play it yourself?  If so, you could play Solitare as a single person.  

On 12/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, Gregexplore said:

Greg, they might not be cheap to make, but I still have to look for bargains.  :)  I did find some on Facebook Marketplace for considerably cheaper.  For me, I can't maintain interest in a game for 15 years.  I think I need to work on that.  I am more of a play it a few times and move on person with board games.  But, I can play card games for years. 

And, Greg, I didn't mean to make you feel that was anything wrong with you purchasing games that cost that price, I just hadn't realized that those games were going to be that expensive.  I hope you weren't offended.    :encourage:

3 minutes ago, Jeanie said:

Greg, they might not be cheap to make, but I still have to look for bargains.  :)  I did find some on Facebook Marketplace for considerably cheaper.  For me, I can't maintain interest in a game for 15 years.  I think I need to work on that.  I am more of a play it a few times and move on person with board games.  But, I can play card games for years. 

And, Greg, I didn't mean to make you feel that was anything wrong with you purchasing games that cost that price, I just hadn't realized that those games were going to be that expensive.  I hope you weren't offended.    :encourage:

Yes, I too try to look for "sales" etc ..but unfortunately good games hold the price for years.

Catan game was mentioned here, and the cost of the game hasn't moved for years ..I remember seeing the game 8 years ago in the game shop for $55, today's price is around $58 AU

So perhaps now you know where I am coming from..., unless you "score" those games somewhere in the second hand shop (almost impossible) then as a customer you have little choice if you want the game. Good games never make me bored... but hey, I have great variety of different games so I can pick and choose which game I feel to play.

In a New World I want to study mathematics more deeply, to develop skills to make good, unforgettable and FUN games .... :uhhuh:

Designing game from scratch appeals to me a lot.

Jeanette, why should I feel offended? Far from it ..I enjoy this subject as I play board-gems (purposeful twist on wording LOL)  for years.

On 12/25/2018 at 12:55 PM, Qapla said:

As for "board games" - I like image.jpeg.e23d68e0e37887e195c1f64eef1f6d2f.jpeg

Have you tried the card version? It is faster passed, though can only have up to 4 players.

817VQhMRkhL._SX355_.jpg

For those interested, there's even a Monopoly card game, which is also faster passed, and can have up to 5 players.

On 12/25/2018 at 3:29 PM, rocket said:

Catan

https://www.catan.com/game/catan

dye_catan_150407_0564.jpg.88cd04bb6f7b8209cebbe5f964783bf5.jpg

With Seafarers Expansion

https://www.catan.com/game/catan-seafarers-expansion

A lot of the Friends in our area like this game. There are a lot of different Expansion options.

Basic game of Settlers TUT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw4tIC_cJiE

I can vouch for this one being a good game.

Another one is Codenames...

71ZHkM7fHwL._SY679_.jpg

Also Ticket to Ride...

7fb033b9-2028-453c-8c70-110846de7757_2.8

~ Trouble is that these sorts of games can be expensive.

Edited by Bjern

2 hours ago, Tyrrha said:

I'm not sure it's considered a "tabletop" game, but we always loved Scattergories.

it is great for all ages and all levels of education.

We often play a version of it went traveling on a long trip with a group of people. The driver always calls out his answers first. Since he cannot write them down! 

Screenshot_2018-12-29-20-25-49_kindlephoto-46606513.png