JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Favorite Tabletop Games?

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

I saw Ticket to Ride Europe on eBay for $39.95 AU with free delivery ..... tempting ....:whistling:

There is a free PnP version available that someone made that you play by printing out the sheets, and using colored pens and a couple decks of standard cards. It's a bit hard to read, but It seems like fun thing to do on travel. 

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 6:37 AM, 1MKnight said:

Never heard of these last two. are these games you buy or play with a standard deck?

Here's a description of "Outburst", a really funny game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4862/outburst

And "Abalone" is a strategic game you surely know...maybe it has a different title in English?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/526/abalone

Chrissy :wave:

On 12/29/2018 at 11:01 PM, Jeanie said:

single worker placement?  What does that mean?  Like you can play it yourself?  If so, you could play Solitare as a single person.  

Single, meaning one.

“worker placement” is a game mechanic. Popular game mechanics used in various ways are bidding, auction, roll and move, area control etc.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:36 AM, 1MKnight said:

Who else loves playing "Scotland Yard" like me?

I have Scotland Yard in my collection... enjoying it!

My Ticket To Ride Europe arrived today! ....Scotland Yard ..move over ..LOL :taz:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yay, I have found large image files for the board of the Life game (japanese version with 2 boards Birth to work life /worklife to riches usual goal). I will now be able to create a JW Life game :D

No money in this game, maybe Happiness Points? :D

Edited by Dages

• 4 years later...

Anyone played boardgame  called Gizmos? thinking of buying one

Someone suggested this game for me, any thoughts? 

https://www.gameology.com.au/products/gizmos-second-edition?variant=39351557423219

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

As a teenager, I played Ping Pong and was pretty good at it. I won a lot, but no tournaments.

I have played checkers, but I read the rules of the game from a box of checkers and then found out everyone had different rules like forced jumps.  The box said that you jump when it is beneficial to you.

My family played Rook when I was a teenager.  We would all play a lot.

I got out an encyclopedia (World Book) and learned the rules for Chess back in the 1960s.  I taught my family to play Chess.  I made Chess pieces from Lego blocks to learn the moves.  My mother bought a Chess set that was pretty nice.

I have played Monopoly, but it gets too long.   My wife and I have played Scrabble, but not very often.  

I learned to play Spades and played Poker a time or two many years ago.  I don't gamble, of course.

I tried inventing a game about door-to-door Field Service.  I had cards with various objections on them that players were supposed to answer.  I never actually finished the game.

I loved playing Scotland Yard with a friend who had owned that game. He lived playing as Mister X, whereas I loved playing with all the detectives. When I played with all six detectives, I generally captured him about 90% of the time, with 5 detectives about 75%, and with 4 detectives about 50%. 3 or less detectives was not possible unless you had double the amount of bus, taxi and UG tickets. When he played with others, he would get away nearly all the time, but he found me the hardest to evade capture, as I had a methodology where I was able to get all my detectives to surround him by the second revealling of his location, and captured shortly thereafter.

I liked Monopoly, dominoes and various card games such as 500, euchre.