JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Has Anyone Seen This New Pokemon Craze Sweeping Across Different Countries?

I'm involved in the Metropolitan cart witnessing work at least 20 hrs. a week in a large downtown Financial Metropolitan area that's home to BOA and Wells Fargo banks. Since the early part of last spring 2018 I was beginning to notice these small groups of people coming together at different times during the day gathering together on corners downtown, sometimes groups as large as 20 or more people. These were adults not kids and I'm talking about adults from all walks of life. These were Financial businessmen and women that  worked on the 15th floor of the skyscrapers downtown, your vendors, people working in restaurants, hotel industry standing on street corners in their business suits men and women with their phones in their hands and their eyes fixated to the screens of their Cell phones not talking to each other but just looking at their phones playing this New Pokemon game. I decided to do some research on this because I was curious, I had never seen grown adults standing around on busy downtown street corners before in a group with their eyes fixated on the screens of their Cell phones and never talking to each other and after the game was over with for that moment they would just walk away and not say one word to the person they were standing next to. It was the weirdest thing I had ever experienced seeing from professional business people who work downtown. Well through researching this New Pokemon Craze what I found out is that the object of the game is to catch the Demon and find out where he is located next. This is not like the Pokemon you would see kids playing years ago and the kids would exchange Pokemon cards. Well today this game is like Pokemon on steroids chancing to catch the Demon and find out where he's located next. I was wondering if any friends have seen these groups popping up on street corners where they live and work downtown locations?

—I remember one year my wife and I were on vacation in Jamaica and stopped to have a mixed alcohol drink similar to a drink in the Bahamas called Bahama Mama. Well anyway as my wife and I were sitting there chatting with the native Jamaican man about the island, places to go sightsee and the culture there. When we got to talking about the culture on the island his eyes seemed to get as large as a half dollar silver coin when he said "NO mon', you don't mess around with the Pokemon here in Jamaica, Pokemon is dangerous he will cast a spell on you!" My wife and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows finished our drink and moved on to enjoy the rest of our vacation...

Yes I agree many years ago the game was popular and I too thought the game had faded away but this is something totally different now with this Pokemon Craze. Google "why are you starting to see so many groups of adult people standing on street corners staring into their cell phones playing Pokemon?"

The PokemonGO game is augmented reality. By using a random number generator they make the pokemon appear at random  areas you move your phone to. The reason it was so big was because it was aimed at making kids actually have to get up and go outside instead of sitting inside on their game consoles all day. It started with the game boy games which were inside all the time, then they made it where you had to interact to trade pokemon, then they did the pedometers where you had to walk with the pokemon to take care of it, then pkmnGO. They've slowly been trying to make kids have to interact and go outside over the years. And now they have the new Switch game of Pokemon that connects up with GO to trade what you catch outside into the console.

Is it bad to play such a game? I'm honestly unsure now as I used to play Pokemon constantly and played GO when it first came out.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

I used to be a pokemon fanatic until someone told me they the word meant pocket demons (which I later found out was incorrect, or that's what the creators of the show said, lol). I don't know about the new series, except that the craze exploded for awhile here with the pokemon go handheld game but then it calmed down.

I have however noticed a growing trend among shows based at similar audiences. How even disney is sneaking in innocent looking characters, then once you get into the show, BAM! They reveal hey I am a demon, talk about a shock to the senses!... Satan really is deceitful and I've started researching the characters on a show before I let myself get really excited about it lol.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

7 hours ago, Manny2186 said:

I'm involved in the Metropolitan cart witnessing work at least 20 hrs. a week in a large downtown Financial Metropolitan area that's home to BOA and Wells Fargo banks. Since the early part of last spring 2018 I was beginning to notice these small groups of people coming together at different times during the day gathering together on corners downtown, sometimes groups as large as 20 or more people. These were adults not kids and I'm talking about adults from all walks of life. These were Financial businessmen and women that  worked on the 15th floor of the skyscrapers downtown, your vendors, people working in restaurants, hotel industry standing on street corners in their business suits men and women with their phones in their hands and their eyes fixated to the screens of their Cell phones not talking to each other but just looking at their phones playing this New Pokemon game. I decided to do some research on this because I was curious, I had never seen grown adults standing around on busy downtown street corners before in a group with their eyes fixated on the screens of their Cell phones and never talking to each other and after the game was over with for that moment they would just walk away and not say one word to the person they were standing next to. It was the weirdest thing I had ever experienced seeing from professional business people who work downtown. Well through researching this New Pokemon Craze what I found out is that the object of the game is to catch the Demon and find out where he is located next. This is not like the Pokemon you would see kids playing years ago and the kids would exchange Pokemon cards. Well today this game is like Pokemon on steroids chancing to catch the Demon and find out where he's located next. I was wondering if any friends have seen these groups popping up on street corners where they live and work downtown locations?

—I remember one year my wife and I were on vacation in Jamaica and stopped to have a mixed alcohol drink similar to a drink in the Bahamas called Bahama Mama. Well anyway as my wife and I were sitting there chatting with the native Jamaican man about the island, places to go sightsee and the culture there. When we got to talking about the culture on the island his eyes seemed to get as large as a half dollar silver coin when he said "NO mon', you don't mess around with the Pokemon here in Jamaica, Pokemon is dangerous he will cast a spell on you!" My wife and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows finished our drink and moved on to enjoy the rest of our vacation...

I hadn't even heard of the new game, but today at school I had a little boy tell me his Dad had to go to the Doctor for a hurt back.  I asked him what happened and he said his Dad hurt his back trying to catch Pokemon.  No joke.  I almost laughed out loud.  I thought that game was long gone.  I will have to be hyper vigilant about this game on any electronic devices at school.  Thanks for the heads up.