JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

folding solar panels

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 minute ago, bigvince said:

that takes up as little room as possible.

Then (perhaps?) you loose capacity...smaller one could be useful just for phones, but you have mentioned laptop.

Don't know ..I have to research the subject bit more.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Hi Vince, 

I am also working on my GoBag, trying to improve it.

I had done some research on "solar chargers" and this 1 has the best reviews by some experts who have tested a variety of them. This 1 is a little more expensive ($65) but has more power than most, 28watts, works with Apple/Android, waterproof, and folds up nicely. There is also a 5% coupon on Amazon so this reduces the price a little.  Let me know what you think? Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXWCPLC?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAATt6

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

3 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Vince, 

I had done some research on "solar chargers" and this 1 has the best reviews by some experts who have tested a variety of them. This 1 is a little more expensive ($65) but has more power than most, 28watts, works with Apple/Android, waterproof, and folds up nicely. There is also a 5% coupon on Amazon so this reduces the price a little.  Let me know what you think? Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXWCPLC?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAATt6

Looks great, good reviews, but no storage battery sounds like an issue. I'll let you know what I figure out. Rather than using waterproof matches, I used cotton balls and vaseline to create a firestarter kit. Got emergency whistles and many of the other things. Lacking only a few items now.

33 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Vince, 

So, I bought this one. It may not have a battery for storing power, but it an charge a power bank which will store power.

Edited by bigvince

3 minutes ago, bigvince said:

So, I bought this one. It may not have a battery for storing power, but it an charge a power bank which will store power.

It's huge :eek:

Have you seen pictures?

a93bd467-025a-4a64-9697-1509ff0629a0._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

2 hours ago, bigvince said:

Looks great, good reviews, but no storage battery sounds like an issue. I'll let you know what I figure out. Rather than using waterproof matches, I used cotton balls and vaseline to create a firestarter kit. Got emergency whistles and many of the other things. Lacking only a few items now.

Can you tell me about the cotton balls and vaseline for the fire starter kit?  I have been revamping ours and I think I am going a little crazy on it.  I used cotton balls and matches and placed in straws, sealed the ends so that they are waterproof, but didn't use vaseline.  Any advice is appreciated.  I know it is probably extreme, but you never know how fast the waters could flood areas.  

2 hours ago, bigvince said:

Folded it's smaller than a sheet of paper: 11.1 × 6.3× 1.3in, unfolded, it is pretty big, but in a situation where I'd need this, saving space won't be the concern.

I think you can power Millennium Falcon with it LOL  :loopy:

18 hours ago, Jeanie said:

Can you tell me about the cotton balls and vaseline for the fire starter kit?  I have been revamping ours and I think I am going a little crazy on it.  I used cotton balls and matches and placed in straws, sealed the ends so that they are waterproof, but didn't use vaseline.  Any advice is appreciated.  I know it is probably extreme, but you never know how fast the waters could flood areas.  

Check this out: https://survivallife.com/diy-fire-starter-cotton-ball/

4 hours ago, bigvince said:

VIncent!  Thanks so much for that.  I actually had no clue that vaseline would help it burn a little longer.  I appreciate the tip.  How do you store yours?  I got my idea off of Pinterest and used a large straw cut into sections and placed materials inside and then sealed the ends.  Is there a better way?

On 1/5/2019 at 4:28 AM, Jeanie said:

I'll check out bigvince's link.. looks interesting:  but as a spark generator i bought something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNESIUM-FIRE-STARTER-emergency-fire-steel-camping-bushcraft-survival-striker/361651499168?hash=item54341bf0a0:g:nd8AAOSw~AVYnHU1:rk:7:pf:0

Do you know you can start a fire with an almost dead 9v battery and steel wool. Nextime you change out your smoke alarm stick the terminal end into a wad of steel wool. Poof!

(Likewise don't put your tongue on 9v battery contacts.) :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

5 hours ago, Alan said:

I'll check out bigvince's link.. looks interesting:  but as a spark generator i bought something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNESIUM-FIRE-STARTER-emergency-fire-steel-camping-bushcraft-survival-striker/361651499168?hash=item54341bf0a0:g:nd8AAOSw~AVYnHU1:rk:7:pf:0

Thanks Alan.  I had to find one in the US but I was able to find one from Amazon.  Thanks for the advice!