JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Does the term "Society" still represent the organization?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1926 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The way I look at it is that it is just an improved label or discriptor....

Our descriptors change constantly... from enfant to child to teenager ... adult... you are  still who are

We maybe are single and we get married.... some change their last name.. some conjugate it.. some don’t.. we are still who we are..

The transition takes awhile.., but I find the more I use the new label ... the more it becomes part of procedural memory....  but to error is human😊

To forgive is the other persons problem 😳... ya right..🙈🙊

Forgive me....❤️

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

14 minutes ago, BPelder said:

Ha ha. :lol: I know what you mean.  Which reminds me, I'll have to ask our Service Superintendent Overseer for a list of those participating en las esquinas in street work.

You feel my pain!!!  😃 

I keep saying I am going "preaching", then quickly correcting to "out in service"

Actually at our most recent circuit visit pioneer meeting the circuit overseer advised us street work is better termed “informal witnessing” as our goal is not to give out tracts to people in passing, but to start conversations with people wherever we are. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

5 hours ago, Gimestr said:

I keep saying I am going "preaching", then quickly correcting to "out in service

This reminds me of something, I have asked before and still don't understand. 

I don't intend to drag us off topic but I am curious :

Here in the U.S. we usually,  in my experience,  use the phrase 'out in service'...and other areas,  primarily the U.K., say going  'out on the service'...I have always wondered why the difference. ...

7 hours ago, carlos said:

If you think about it, for a non-Witness "the Society" sounds quite mysterious. As one of those secret societies.

Yeah, like 'New World Order'... That one raises eyebrows. .lol:eek:

Edited by tekmantwo

Remove double post?

7 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

My dad....every time. 'Lets do some backcalls'....

Grab your green bible and I'll meet you at the Service Center...

Lets get some subscriptions!

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 hours ago, rocket said:

Also Rendezvous upgraded to Service Group

We used that but I never really got used to it, it didn't, to me, seem like it fit...

Did anyone ever use  'red eyes'?

As in  'ya wanna do a red eye tomorrow?'

It was an adaptation from early morning airline flights, we would mean getting up at 5AM and talking to people at the donut shops, pre Starbucks epoch...

53 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

We used that but I never really got used to it, it didn't, to me, seem like it fit...

Did anyone ever use  'red eyes'?

As in  'ya wanna do a red eye tomorrow?'

It was an adaptation from early morning airline flights, we would mean getting up at 5AM and talking to people at the donut shops, pre Starbucks epoch...

No but I rode the red eye from Honolulu to Portland a couple times back in the late 60's.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I still catch myself about to use “society” from time to time. I have stumbled over the best word to use a few times. I’ve decided that unless it’s a regional matter, I am using “the faithful slave”. 

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Grab your green bible and I'll meet you at the Service Center...

Lets get some subscriptions!

I have a small new world translation with a red cover that was my mother’s before she left. Anyone else ever seen one?  I’ve never seen another. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

15 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

I have a small new world translation with a red cover that was my mother’s before she left. Anyone else ever seen one?  I’ve never seen another. 

You mean the pocket sized bible with the maroon cover?

I have one...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

You mean the pocket sized bible with the maroon cover?

I have one...

No not the leather like ones. This has got to be from the 50’s or 60’s. I would take a pic but it’s in my attic and it’s too cold to hunt for it. Lol

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

I still catch myself about to use “society” from time to time. I have stumbled over the best word to use a few times. I’ve decided that unless it’s a regional matter, I am using “the faithful slave”. 

Sr. Dawn, I have a red NWT (same as the green one).  It is worn but you can still see the original title on the cover.

Bible Red.jpeg

I personally do not like the term "the Society" because it gives the impression that we are subject to a publishing company. but its certainly not a "sin" worthy of correcting a brother or sister for saying, because most times, its uttered out of an old habit.

20 minutes ago, Bob said:

I personally do not like the term "the Society" because it gives the impression that we are subject to a publishing company. but its certainly not a "sin" worthy of correcting a brother or sister for saying, because most times, its uttered out of an old habit.

Br. Robert, thank you for the forgiving attitude.  I might point out that the term "Branch"  is a short form of "Branch Office".  This refers to a branch office of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (or whatever corporation name we use in yor country).  So it still refers to the publishing company.  We can't escape our roots.

Edited by jwhess

Br. John,  Yep, that is basically what I have. Mine is in better condition and there is a bit of a grain to it. Was that a 1950’s thing?

18 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

Br. John,  Yep, that is basically what I have. Mine is in better condition and there is a bit of a grain to it. Was that a 1950’s thing?

Sr, Dawn, I have discovered through the years that there were occasions where our organization printed a limited number of publications in colors that were not the "normal" for that book.  I can only imagine that they were using up cover material that was left over from other binding jobs.  When I get a chance to pick up a hardbound copy that has the case (cover) glued on upside down or in an odd color, I try to get a copy.  I do not believe there were very many of the Red NWT hardbound Bibles produced.  I have only seen 3 and I have heard of a few more.

I prefer to talk about “the Governing Body”. Our information comes via them, so it’s quite clear. They are also not just a legal tool. But it’s not wrong to say the “Society”, if you’re are talking about the legal entity, not the spiritual channel. But, as has been mentioned, it might come across as rather odd to people around us.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”