JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russian church head: Smartphones could precede Antichrist

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1873 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

MOSCOW — The head of the Russian Orthodox Church says the data-gathering capacity of devices such as smartphones risks bringing humanity closer to the arrival of the Antichrist.
In an interview shown Monday on state TV, Patriarch Kirill said the church does not oppose technological progress but is concerned that "someone can know exactly where you are, know exactly what you are interested in, know exactly what you are afraid of" and that such information could be used for centralized control of the world.
"Control from one point is a foreshadowing of the coming of Antichrist, if we talk about the Christian view. Antichrist is the person who will be at the head of the world wide web that controls the entire human race," he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-church-head-smartphones-could-precede-antichrist/ar-BBRXANc?li=BBnbklF

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

First, I thought he was talking about Putin. Then, nah. These guys are blind. The antichrist has already been around for a very long time.

Aren't Krill and Putin old buddies?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

They are certainly wrong about the antichrist, but I have to say the amount of data our electronics collect on us is staggering and potentially dangerous. This continues when you think about when you delete things from services, they are not actually deleted. They are just no longer visible. I weigh the pros vs cons before signing up for a new service. 

8 hours ago, Brother Arellano said:

They are certainly wrong about the antichrist, but I have to say the amount of data our electronics collect on us is staggering and potentially dangerous. This continues when you think about when you delete things from services, they are not actually deleted. They are just no longer visible. I weigh the pros vs cons before signing up for a new service. 

I have thought for a while now we'll be asked to get rid of our tablets and phones during the great tribulation. Too much ways to track you.

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Antichrist is the person who will be at the head of the world wide web that controls the entire human race," he said.

My first reaction was that the religious leaders are up to it again, control the people through ignorance by convincing them that the internet is bad...

The internet is not bad. Technology is not inherently good or evil. But like when you walk into the world there are things try to persuade you, attract you, and distract you from doing what is right. It’s easier to say no when people are watching, but anonymity allows us to do or say things we shouldn’t with little or no immediate consequences. So we must remember to be on our guard when traveling down the information superhighway. 

2 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

The internet is not bad. Technology is not inherently good or evil. But like when you walk into the world there are things try to persuade you, attract you, and distract you from doing what is right. It’s easier to say no when people are watching, but anonymity allows us to do or say things we shouldn’t with little or no immediate consequences. So we must remember to be on our guard when traveling down the information superhighway. 

Agreed, however don't you think that telling people the world wide web is bringing the Antichrist is just a little over the top??

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

Nomophobia, definition -" the irrational fear of being without your mobile phone or being unable to use your phone for some reason, such as the absence of a signal or running out of minutes or battery power." Just another distraction or an addiction?

It can be either. It depends on us. But then so many things can count as an addiction. How many people do you know that can’t even function before that first cup of coffee. But you’re right we need to be aware of these things. 

• 2 weeks later...

All in all I tend to agree somewhat. This extreme level of total control is manifesting itself in China at the moment, with the social credit system, a grid with hundreds of millions of surveillance cameras, facial and gait recognition AI software.

The internet, a source of free knowledge and a tool for good, is simultaneously a force for evil that spreads an infinite amount of lies and falsehoods, even about the Most High and his organization, advertises and perpetuates cynicism, nihilism, hedonism, egocentricism, division.

Beyond the web, there is the so-called "Darknet", a realm shrouded in mystery and dark legends, in which the most demonic things imaginable are being carried out and deeds published, the least outrageous of which being things like drug trade, weapon trade, human trafficking and pedophilia.

Smartphones are people's links into the collective hive mind that is controlled by governments and media. I could very well imagine that the internet will have an important role in the destruction of BTG and other prophetic fulfillments of the future.

• 3 weeks later...