JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How much has changed

Hello I am brother from Canada, and I have been a Witness for 30 years give or take.  I just want to know what changes you have seen that you just love.  For me its the screens at the summer assemblies.  As a child growing up and trying to pay attention to what the speaker was saying was difficult.  Hard to see, and such.  Now that the screens are there, and you can see the speakers emotions and gestures, and the videos that area played is just phenomenal!  Especially the dramas.  So much easier to process everything.

I appreciate that almost all of the convention and assembly parts are symposiums instead of hour long talks. It's much easier on my attention span.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I appreciate that almost all of the convention and assembly parts are symposiums instead of hour long talks. It's much easier on my attention span.

Ten to fifteen minutes each is the best for sure. It breaks it up nicely and gives us all a chance to relax mentally

Recorded video dramas, instead of live reenactments, especially for ancient dramas with special effects.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

1 hour ago, MrNiceGuy233012 said:

Hello I am brother from Canada, and I have been a Witness for 30 years give or take.  I just want to know what changes you have seen that you just love.  For me its the screens at the summer assemblies.  As a child growing up and trying to pay attention to what the speaker was saying was difficult.  Hard to see, and such.  Now that the screens are there, and you can see the speakers emotions and gestures, and the videos that area played is just phenomenal!  Especially the dramas.  So much easier to process everything.

I agree. During the RC's at times I look over to where the actual speaker is (instead of looking at the screens) and he seems so far away and I ask myself how I ever did it back then to concentrate if I couldn't see the facial expressions of the speakers or the participants.

Also, I like the length of the talks now. Both the public talks - 30 minutes and the assembly talks which are limited to no more than 15 minutes on average. I also enjoy the new meeting format (CLM). I also enjoy the new technology tools that we have for meetings, field service, and personal study. (Like JW Library)

Not a bad seat in the house! 

And, I do not miss those lines in order to get that new publication.

The videos. Of what kind, no matter. I love them. 

Oh, the music interludes.(?) I almost look foreword to them as much as the program. I just want peace and quiet to enjoy them. 

BTY, has there been a way to download our convention music that I missed?

I love the treatment of older ones. Almost melts my heart. How Jehovah feels about us just permeates the atmosphere. I  just feel, “What have I done to be treated so wonderfully?” Grew old in Jehovah’s organization. Nothing better. The organization, not this growing old business. But, if you have to do it, this is the place to be...

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

18 minutes ago, Dages said:

I have a problem, I feel the urge to "like" every post of this topic :D

Me too..I did..:D

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I enjoy our feeding arrangement - people staying in their seats and eating a simple lunch ... instead of the time consuming process of making the meals so the friends could stand in long lines to get them ... the way we do it now is SO much better!

As a side thought ...  we have a Sister in our Hall that is only partially happy for the large screens. She was very excited when we first got them because she is nearly deaf and cannot hear the program even with a headset on. However, she is expert at reading lips. She tries to sit on the front row at the RC so she can see the screens with no one blocking her view. She can now see the speakers AND read their lips. She has really enjoyed that aspect of the screens.

However, as things have progressed and we have gotten more videos during the program, she is not as happy with those. I never thought about it ... but, as she pointed out, during the videos, the people on them talk to each other or there is a "narration" that she cannot really hear - as opposed to the speaker facing the camera where she can read the lips.

Now, if they would add "closed captions" she would probably like that :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I LOVE closed captions..I'm hoping too one day they will have them.. we watch the meetings on the tv and pc. No problem hearing the speaker, but can't hear the comments even with the mike :)o

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

49 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Not a bad seat in the house! 

And, I do not miss those lines in order to get that new publication.

The videos. Of what kind, no matter. I love them. 

Oh, the music interludes.(?) I almost look foreword to them as much as the program. I just want peace and quiet to enjoy them. 

BTY, has there been a way to download our convention music that I missed?

I love the treatment of older ones. Almost melts my heart. How Jehovah feels about us just permeates the atmosphere. I  just feel, “What have I done to be treated so wonderfully?” Grew old in Jehovah’s organization. Nothing better. The organization, not this growing old business. But, if you have to do it, this is the place to be...

Regarding the convention music, if you’re referring to the interludes, those are available on JW Library under each respective RC section. Go to JW Library > Media > Spiritual Programs > Tap on the respective music videos for each RC

Agree with Dages! :)

You guys already mentioned so many things I love too. Just want to add the monthly broadcasting and that we can see the whole Anual meeting program and all the Gilead graduations. A wonderful provision I love so much! ❤️

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

All the things already mentioned, also

all the publications in soft cover instead of the hard little books.

Also, the beautiful Workbooks that replace the KM's, with the new format, pictures, colors, scriptures, love them.

No more offering subs or asking for donations at the door..

Love the smaller tracts and calling cards..

So many things in electronic form instead of hard copy to save carrying a lot of weight. I used to carry a book bag that was so full of literature it caused my service partner to say, my, you're ready for anything aren't you..:)

I guess I'm an outlier in that while I appreciate the changes and love a lot of them - tech and electronics for the win!!! - other things are not my particular cuppa tea.

I'm not a fan of the shorter talks/symposium style.  They're so short that by the time I'm really grooving along with the theme and my notes, we're moving on to another talk.  Now, I don't have attention span issues... I'm more annoyed when things move from subject to subject quickly.  I LOVE when we get those 45 min talks on the Broadcast sometimes.  It allows the brother to really develop the material, I can focus, relax and take it all in knowing he won't disappear from the stage any time soon! 

While I do enjoy the videos very much, I can't really take notes on those at all.  I am more an aural learner than visual and once the videos are over, I often forget what the message was.  I'll remember the graphics, etc, but the lessons -- I just have to feel like watching them again when they're released for us (closed captions would really be terrific!).  When I can take notes for an entire talk, I will remember most of what I heard.

I do LOVE what we've done on a musical level -- new arrangements for the assemblies are the highlights for me.  ❤️   I like the format of the Midweek Meeting... but I do still miss the Book Study and the old meal arrangements for many reasons.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I guess I'm an outlier in that while I appreciate the changes and love a lot of them - tech and electronics for the win!!! - other things are not my particular cuppa tea.

I'm not a fan of the shorter talks/symposium style.  They're so short that by the time I'm really grooving along with the theme and my notes, we're moving on to another talk.  Now, I don't have attention span issues... I'm more annoyed when things move from subject to subject quickly.  I LOVE when we get those 45 min talks on the Broadcast sometimes.  It allows the brother to really develop the material, I can focus, relax and take it all in knowing he won't disappear from the stage any time soon! 

While I do enjoy the videos very much, I can't really take notes on those at all.  I am more an aural learner than visual and once the videos are over, I often forget what the message was.  I'll remember the graphics, etc, but the lessons -- I just have to feel like watching them again when they're released for us (closed captions would really be terrific!).  When I can take notes for an entire talk, I will remember most of what I heard.

I do LOVE what we've done on a musical level -- new arrangements for the assemblies are the highlights for me.  ❤️   I like the format of the Midweek Meeting... but I do still miss the Book Study and the old meal arrangements for many reasons.

I like your attitude. :coffee:  

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

20 hours ago, Hope said:

I'm glad you always had so good speakers! :)

I would like to listen Brother Jackson, Splane, Morris,  Noumair,  Let, etc. etc. for at least 45 minutes. But 45 min talks with certain speakers... sorry, but no no no. Not to mention that for kids and old and interested persons or guests that received an invitation for the convention...45 minutes are too much.

I also love all the videos we have at our conventions... they unify us even more.  We can see faces of our Brothers from all the corners of the world. Plus in this way we really have the same "food" worldwide. With all the good intentions of our Brothers ... you don't want to see the dramas/monologues/ demonstrations prepared in some places.

Jehovah does everything with style. ..I think the new format of our conventions reflect that much much better.

Just my opinion.

:)❤️

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

For many years, I have not been placing large amounts of literature compared to Bibles Studies and RVs. Once the secretary called me to verify if my numbers were correct. Now that placement ration is more the norm. Me? The new normal? Whodda thunk it? 😎 I still need to work up the guts to play more videos at the doorstep. Afraid my device will fail, so I have a backup person with. 

I love our videos :wub::popcorn:

Also I really appreciate our new songs and the way they are presented at the conventions :whistling::dance:

The CLM is a great present! The program is so diversified and therefor diverting… I can´t believe how fast time flies now! 

And the JW Library App has made my ministry much easier and my bag much lighter.

I also love the new "style" of our sample conversations as they are presented in our workbook and in the short videos.

They make it so easy to have nice conversations with people in house-to-house service...

Chrissy :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Artwork in our publications. And those wonderful large margins. To write in. I used to write every scripture for the WT study. Now, I almost feel like I’m cheating, it’s so easy.

But, I am now writing all the scriptures down in our pure worship book.    

Things like this help keep me grounded.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!