JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Does tidiness really equal a clean mind?

If you haven't heard of Marie Kondo yet, it won't be long before you do.

Thanks to her new Netflix programme, the Japanese tidying guru has become January's "It girl". Chance is, you already know someone who is using her "KonMari" method, which promises not only a de-cluttered house, but also a clean mind.

"When you put your house in order, you put your affairs, and your past in order, too," Kondo explains in her 2014 book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying. "As a result, you can see quite clearly what you need and what you don't, and what you should and shouldn't do."

But is it really as simple as asking whether everything you own truly "sparks joy" and then throwing away anything that doesn't?

"Do we just assume that de-cluttering is a good thing because it's the opposite of hoarding?" New York psychologist Vivien Diller wondered in The Atlantic back in 2015, pointing to patients who felt a compulsive need to de-clutter.

"You take somebody who cannot tolerate mess or cannot sit still without cleaning or throwing things out, and we're talking about a symptom," she noted.

So where, exactly, does all this leave those of us who really aren't that bothered by a little bit of mess, and are never likely to consider whether their socks truly give them joy?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-46875137

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I have come across many "super-neat" (perhaps even fastidious) homosexual people while at the same time I also know some very spiritual, mature JW's who do not mind a "normal" amount of clutter ...

... not sure I agree with the idea that being extremely "tidy" gives you a "clean mind"

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We know what Jehovah encourages. He is a God of order. And, that is so. However, being humans, imperfect humans, at that, so, this tidiness may be on a bit of a sliding scale.

We get a talk once a year on cleanliness. And, we pay attention to that. Cleanliness. 

Perfect tidy house? We have one sister that would not prefer to have company. None. (When she does hospitality for the CO, she brings the food to the hall) I’m having a hard time articulating why. But her perfect tidy house is an issue. 

OCD? I sort of laugh at that one. At me, not them. Two of my best friends, well, You get the idea. And they are wonderfully hospitable. I take them as my examples. My unachievable examples. In this system, anyway. 

I enjoy gettting things in order, but keeping them such, another story. 

I want my house to be not an embarrassment for unexpected company, but lived in. Clean, for sure, but, I am always trying to get it in better order...

We need to be good examples in our community, and our home and yard is such. I’m going to be happy with that. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

My house is a wreck.  It probably does speak to the disorderly, unpeaceful and shambles condition of my mind.  :(  I've never been particularly neat and tidy but it's become worse in the past year... I'm not sure what's up.  There's not a lot of joy, I can tell you that.

The work that needs doing is overwhelming to me - part of it is having no storage in my little apartment.  But it's more than that.

I need to work on it... 😢 

Me too. But lately I've been sensing that it's possible we may be moving in with each other. I'd have one or two available rooms to share. That is if I could give up stuff.

So with that thought in mind it's been easier and easier to unload some of my unessentials. 

Not a possibility for everyone though.....

Edited by Cherie

An additional thought

This I do know. If we get busy, come home long enough to dump things, and out the door again, it does effect my clarity of mind. (Such as it is). I get busy. For me, clutter around me means cluttered mind. Let’s just say, I’d like my mind to be more uncluttered. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

52 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Let’s just say, I’d like my mind to be more uncluttered. 

Have you tried closing one eye? You'll only see half the clutter...:wink:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Hope said:

If you close BOTH eyes (I sleep a lot), you won't see any clutter at all!  :D 

Problem solved!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My sister works in HR and is registered to 'profile' people.
My 2¢ worth (based on what she says), is that we all have preferences. There are extraverts, there are introverts.
In a similar way, there are tidy people and there are the more creative types.
That is not to say that the creative ones cannot be tidy. But it is a different tidy!
Of my 4 children, I have 2 of each (in an interesting mix).
If they are asked to tidy their rooms, they will do it. But the results reflect their preference. My 'tidy' kids room in an 'untidy' state, was better than the 'tidy' state of my 'creative' kids.
So my long winded story leads to this... not everyone will be able to reach the same standard, because it is not in them. For some to reach the peak that others can achieve, will just lead to disappointment.
So do your best and be happy with it. The key is to do it, not just let it slide. If you let it go, then it will be very cluttered (comparatively). (They make TV shows of these poor soles).
So in conclusion, be balanced in all things. Clutter, tidy, OCD can be relative. I agree with the sentiments of the book, but it will be unattainable for many now. IMO
Bring on perfection!

Just Older

Don't discount the level of depression someone might be dealing with. That condition makes it very difficult to gather the energy and means to get a house sorted.

Unfortunately, the cluttered home often contributes to the depression... it's a very vicious cycle.  That's why I sleep as much as possible... then leave the house.

my personal experience, it helps me think clear when my area is tidy. Not really super tidy but things just needs to be in order. 
I am limiting my buying of things nowadays, trying to minimize what I have. What I do is gather all the things I do not need anymore but in good condition and share is with the brothers and sisters in the congregation. Anything left from it, I sent to goodwill. 

6 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

There are extraverts, there are introverts.

So now I am confused..because Tortuga is both...inside the shell,  and when he comes out of the shell...LOL  :lol1:

When I thought I understand people, you had to throw this sentence out...LOL

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

So now I am confused..because Tortuga is both...inside the shell,  and when he comes out of the shell...LOL  1:
When I thought I understand people, you had to throw this sentence out...LOL
One of the books I read, said that introverts have a 'persona' that they send out to handle the outside world. Only close friends get to know the soft mushy insides. Most only ever get to know this persona. Oh they are such complex animals!

Just Older

18 hours ago, Hope said:

My house is a wreck.  It probably does speak to the disorderly, unpeaceful and shambles condition of my mind.  :(  I've never been particularly neat and tidy but it's become worse in the past year... I'm not sure what's up.  There's not a lot of joy, I can tell you that.

The work that needs doing is overwhelming to me - part of it is having no storage in my little apartment.  But it's more than that.

I need to work on it... 😢 

Don’t feel alone. I’ve never been super tidy either. Family background....

However, for the past few years we haven’t been able to have company because the house has been in a state of remodel. Getting it done as a diy has taken way more time than we imagined.  We are working hard on it because we just want it done!!!

Oh and I live with three guys! 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

The last thing I worry about is whether my socks bring me joy. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

I think tidy, as you personally perceive tidy to be, does bring us a measure of soundness. Think of the feeling you have when you do finally tackle that decluttering job, and throw unwanted rubbish for kerbside collection or at the tip. It borders on exaltation! Or something like that. 

But, I know personally, I’m getting overwhelmed with keeping it all tidy cause I’m less motivated than I used to be. Symptom of being tired in this system, I think. And I can’t help but be a little depressed at seeing other homes pristinely tidy, even though mine is “lived in” and not actually too untidy. Need to stop comparing, as the scripture wisely says. 

I watched her show a couple weeks ago, saw her on Popular on Netflix so watched a few episodes. She kinda lost me when she had the homeowner say goodbye to their things. I thought she had too much emphasis on the validity or awareness of 'stuff'. It's just stuff. 

On the other hand I think she's helping those who get overwhelmed with all their stuff and are unable to de-clutter on their own. I can get that way, so much to do I can't even start. 

Lately we've had carpet and pad from 2 rooms and a 38 foot hallway removed and glue down plank vinyl installed. Jut after we moved all the furniture into the main room and pulled the carpeting  our installer had to go in for triple bypass! I had to fight to find another person to do it. It took 5 weeks. So we lived with a mountain of piled furniture everywhere. Well it felt like a mountain. We've moved 1 room back in and I put things back in the hallway but truthfully we're getting rid of quite a bit too. I'm just not letting it all go back in the rooms. A good time to purge. A sister and I plan on having a big sale here on Memorial day weekend, Saturday only, when our community has what's called The Longest Garage Sale, everyone is having one that weekend. What doesn't sell I'm hauling to Goodwill, and no I won't apologize or say goodbye to my stuff😃    

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

3 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Sooooo if Tortuga is out of his shell is he naked or homeless?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Uh...BOTH! :lol1:

I follow her way of folding clothes, it's a better way to organize my limited closet... Yet, I'm too lazy to sniff my clothes one by one... :eek:

For me, tidiness means a clear mind and happier mood... I get annoyed seeing stuffs are not in my order, esp mess...

:bouncing: