JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
GrumpysWife

Friday, January 18 ~ Strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.​—Job 2:5.

Friday, January 18

Strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.—Job 2:5.

The Devil’s challenge no doubt aroused indignation, anger, and contempt among heavenly creatures loyal to God. Jehovah, however, did not react hastily. His response was measured and entirely fitting. He has been slow to anger and has been just in dealing with Satan’s revolt. (Ex. 34:6; Job 2:2-6) Why? Jehovah has allowed time to pass because he does not want anyone to be destroyed but “desires all to attain to repentance.” (2 Pet. 3:9) Jehovah’s exercise of self-control teaches us that we too ought to weigh our words and consider our steps carefully; we should not rush into things. When you face an important issue, give yourself the time you need to act wisely. Pray for wisdom to say or do the right thing. (Ps. 141:3) In the heat of the moment, it is all too easy to react emotionally. Many of us have lived to regret hasty words or rash actions!—Prov. 14:29; 15:28; 19:2. w17.09 4 ¶6-7

Yes, hasty words are often regrettable. Stopping myself and keeping silent rather than speaking on impulse (tempting as it may be) has saved me from embarrassment or escalating a situation many times. When I fail to do so I am reminded how wise the words in Proverbs 14:29 are. We aren't thought-readers, and at least some of the time I find I've made incorrect assumptions. What a relief it is to have maintained self-control in those cases!