JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Any Arachnophobes here? Don't look, weird spider

So, I started to come up my front steps to go inside and, usually checking where I put my hands, I saw this beauty right where I grab.

Anybody know what make and model this is?

I have never seen one like it. It looks like little horns on the rear. It was pretty good size, maybe 25-30mm stretched out, tail at least 12mm, likely bigger.

It was very lethargic, it's fairly cold here right now( CA Index) maybe 45F...

So, any takers?

20190118_132549.jpg

20190118_132555.jpg

I’ve heard it called, “The icky spider” :scared:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

7 minutes ago, Pjdriver said:

I’ve heard it called, “The icky spider” :scared:

It came real close to being the sticky spot spider....

13 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Thanks!..

I haven't checked the link yet but headed there now---

Thank you for the warning. I scrolled past that very quickly with my eyes shut.

I don't know what possessed me to move to a country that has the quantity, sort and size of arachnids we have here because I am definitely phobic.  I can't kill them all though, just the really big scary ones and the poisonous ones and I get my neighbour to come and collect the others.

We have one here called the Orb and they are really quite beautiful, each one is quite different from other ones .. though I still give them a wide berth. 

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

2 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

Thank you for the warning. I scrolled past that very quickly with my eyes shut.

All good Sis!. I don't really like spiders, or snakes.

So, I caught a good sized tarantula and had her for many years. It was a stress to pick her up and let her crawl around on me, but I got over it. Fascinating critter, as near as I know she only bit one time, a friend was holding her and she fell off his arm, when he caught her he squeezed her too hard and she stung him. It wasn't too bad, I didn't feel a thing...

I also got a snake. It was a Burmese python,  named 'Monty', of course...

He grew from about 4foot long to about 8ft long in the time I had him.

We used to go to street fairs and flea markets and I would carry him, wrapped around my neck. It was kinda fun, the looks I got...lol

6 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Harry

Hairy?:facepalmpo2:

2 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

don't know what possessed me to move to a country that has the quantity, sort and size of arachnids we have here because I am definitely phobic.  I can't kill them all though, just the really big scary ones and the poisonous ones and I get my neighbour to come and collect the others

Sis, one thing that I have done for 40 or more years,  I keep a simple squirt bottle filled with a weak solution of water and dish soap.

Weak like a .5 oz soap to 8 or 10 oz of water. I don't really recommend any one type soap over another, cheaper seems to work better.

It will kill just about anything in the insect world. It gives you stand off capabilities, by using the pinpoint spray, or a better targeting solution using a moderate mist, although you will need to be a bit closer.

I don't know what kind of flying evil things you have there, but here, here we have YellowJackets, evil incarnate in flight...

The spray works on them as well but I have to hit them 2 or 3 times pretty good, if you don't get them quickly,  they come for you----

https://www.google.com/search?q=yellow+jacket&safe=active&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFq_Xt__jfAhW8FzQIHUUqCBQQ_AUIEigB&biw=768&bih=1024

Get a squirt bottle, keep it handy....I do.

Edited by tekmantwo

19 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

All good Sis!. I don't really like spiders, or snakes.

So, I caught a good sized tarantula and had her for many years. It was a stress to pick her up and let her crawl around on me, but I got over it. Fascinating critter, as near as I know she only bit one time, a friend was holding her and she fell off his arm, when he caught her he squeezed her too hard and she stung him. It wasn't too bad, I didn't feel a thing...

I also got a snake. It was a Burmese python,  named 'Monty', of course...

He grew from about 4foot long to about 8ft long in the time I had him.

We used to go to street fairs and flea markets and I would carry him, wrapped around my neck. It was kinda fun, the looks I got...lol

Hairy?:facepalmpo2:

5 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Sis, one thing that I have done for 40 or more years,  I keep a simple squirt bottle filled with a weak solution of water and dish soap.

Weak like a .5 oz soap to 8 or 10 oz of water. I don't really recommend any one type soap over another, cheaper seems to work better.

It will kill just about anything in the insect world. It gives you stand off capabilities, by using the pinpoint spray, or a better targeting solution using a moderate mist, although you will need to be a bit closer.

I don't know what kind of flying evil things you have there, but here, here we have YellowJackets, evil incarnate in flight...

The spray works on them as well but I have to hit them 2 or 3 times pretty good, if you don't get them quickly,  they come for you----

https://www.google.com/search?q=yellow+jacket&safe=active&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFq_Xt__jfAhW8FzQIHUUqCBQQ_AUIEigB&biw=768&bih=1024

Yeah nah to the tarantula. We have things like bird eating spiders here though not in suburbia unlike pretty large Huntsman that seem quite drawn towards people and they are truly horrifying to me.  I have lived up in the tropics and among other things there are flying cockroaches up there big enough to put saddles on ... but we won't take this discussion any further .. it's giving me the eebie jeebies just thinking about these things.

Snakes though I do not have a problem with. If I see a travelling snake show I always go for a hold and if I had the time and money I wouldn't mind having a pet snake.  Not that I would confront a King Brown or a Tiger snake if I came across it in the wild. 

14 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

but we won't take this discussion any further .. it's giving me the eebie jeebies just thinking about these things.

Totally works for me....:nuke:

14 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Snakes though I do not have a problem with. If I see a travelling snake show I always go for a hold and if I had the time and money I wouldn't mind having a pet snake.  Not that I would confront a King Brown or a Tiger snake if I came across it in the wild.

I was out with a car group a few years back and stopped my Jeep, on a dirt road, to let a snake cross in front.

When he decided that the middle of the track was a good sunny spot I got out to hurry him along.

I didn't know that one of the Brothers with me was seriously afraid of snakes.

Like, really...

Don got out but stood behind the door and then asked me what kind it was.

I knew it was a harmless King snake so instead of just touching his tail to move him I picked him up.

I think poor Don almost had a heart attack, and I don't believe I have ever seen anyone mount up so quickly...Sorry Don:o

Besides smelling like King snake the rest of the trip it was an enjoyable day out....

(just to be clear, it was a California King snake, only dangerous to rattlesnakes)

Edited by tekmantwo

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

I seem to have quoted this in my last comment .. but then didn't actually comment on it. Duh!! LOL

That looks like what we call wasps in England.  I got stung by one once when I was a child.  It swelled up massively and was scarlet for about 3 weeks.  They are certainly evil. We don't have that particular sort here though we do have some other yellow and black nasties.

Edited by GeordieGirl

• 6 months later...

Sorry if I jumped ship here. Found this article on Facebook

Being lazy didn’t want to create another topic. But speaking of creepy spiders type things.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/whats-hot/thousands-of-tarantulas-expected-to-crawl-through-colorado-in-mass-migration?fbclid=IwAR0qjymtqMTErb_AsTuCj2Daiv8CD_OysC00_en579qqnFTpm9ngTGGnWo8

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Looking for the ultimate family getaway? Well now’s your chance to witness the great tarantula migration expected to kick off this month in Colorado.

According to the Gazette, thousands of tarantulas with a high libido can be seen crawling through the Colorado grasslands in search of a mate, beginning their exodus from August through early October.

Scientists say many of the spiders are 10-year-old males looking to mate with females that make their burrows in Colorado’s grasslands.

According to a tourist site for La Junta Colorado, September on a warm day is the best time to view the massive tarantula migration, specifically around Sept. 10.

The website says you can expect to see the majority of these Oklahoma brown tarantulas migrate through La Junta, which is about 176 miles southeast of Denver.

The Gazette says that La Junta and southeast Colorado will showcase the largest numbers of the arachnids taking over the highways, meaning visitors should be wary of the roads.

A massive gathering of tarantulas will also give you the chance to see the stunning spider hunting wasps that pray on the eight-legged travelers, known as tarantula hawks.

Officials say tarantulas are mostly harmless to humans, but have bites that can cause injury or allergic reaction and hairs that can be irritating to the eyes, mouth and nose.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I'm not so much afraid of spiders.  I'm just severely allergic to their venom.

520193807_SpiderONE.gif.dd873de68e56a5d6c1223106daa34e34.gif

If you are an Arachnophobe, you FOR SURE do NOT want to click this link!!!!!

http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/     

This game really creeps me out. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I was driving home today, and a big sort of translucent light tannish colored spider came crawling up my arm. Heading for my head! It was big. Bigger then a .25 cent coin.  Was proud of myself. I pulled off the highway, and, promptly sent the thing flying. 

Never happened before. One that big. It’s usually those pesky tiny ones, that have decided to commit suicide! 

Edited by Miss Bea

It’s late!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

7 hours ago, Loopy said:

witness the great tarantula migration

I did actually witness this a few yrs back. I think it was '86 or '87, it was in California, the Laguna Beach area.

I was a night shift mechanic, working on a dirt spread. I dont recall exactly all the events of the night but bottom line is that there were thousands of them crawling around. It was dark but all the trucks had floodlights on and we had a couple of light plant towers running.

I can remember driving on the dirt road back to our parts area/yard and hearing them crunch as I drove. There were hundreds of them killed on that one road, the next day the day shift guys were really kinda weirded out by all the mashed crawlers that they found.

I caught 11 of them. I had a female Mexican Brown at home in a 50 gallon aquarium, I had caught her years before that and I just figured to give her some company. Sounded like a good idea at 3 in the morning. I dumped them all in her home and went to bed.

She killed them all...

There was a couple of the males still alive when my wife and kids woke me up to tell me the story, I got up to watch the last act... it was interesting to see how she defeated a larger opponent. They start out with the front legs held up high and she would get under the legs, work in close to the body and actually flip them over, then the fangs did the rest.

It was a good experience for the kids, I felt a little guilty but got over it. I had probably killed a hundred of them the night before, just by driving around the job site....