JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bible accounts that make you laugh

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1825 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The first one that comes to mind, for me, is one that always makes me smile - in a sardonic way ...

(Judges 8:13-16) . . . 13Gidʹe·on the son of Joʹash then returned from the war by way of the pass that goes up to Heʹres. 14 En route he captured and interrogated a young man from Sucʹcoth. So the young man wrote out for him the names of the princes and elders of Sucʹcoth, 77 men. 15 With that he went to the men of Sucʹcoth and said: “Here are Zeʹbah and Zal·munʹna about whom you taunted me, saying, ‘Are the palms of Zeʹbah and Zal·munʹna already in your hand so that we should give bread to your exhausted men?’” 16Then he took the elders of the city and with thorns and briars of the wilderness, he taught the men of Sucʹcoth a lesson. . .

:eek:   I look forward to finding out just what did he do to/with those guys   :eek:

I also enjoy this one:

(1 Kings 18:27) . . .About noon E·liʹjah began to mock them and say: “Call out at the top of your voice! After all, he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought or he has gone to relieve himself. Or maybe he is asleep and someone needs to wake him up!” 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

48 minutes ago, Qapla said:

(1 Kings 18:27) . . .About noon E·liʹjah began to mock them and say: “Call out at the top of your voice! After all, he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought or he has gone to relieve himself. Or maybe he is asleep and someone needs to wake him up!” 

Oh, yes, I laughed at that one too.  It's not every day that you see a prophet of Jehovah mocking someone.

2 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

The second is 2 Timothy 4:3, where it talks about people surrounding themselves with teachers to have their “ears tickled”. It tickles me every time. 

I see what you did there.  Nice. :) 

Edited by Gimestr

I'm ashamed at some that make me laugh because they usually involve someone dying (which isn't funny) but...the lepers of Sameria are pretty funny stuffing their faces and stealing all night and then having a crisis of conscience just be for sun-up.  But I can't help it, the kings adjutant who doubted Elisha .... I can't help but think of him trying to tell the starving masses to form an orderly line just before he was flattened in the mad rush.

Brother Jackson beautifully bought out the humour in Hamans conversation with Ahasuerus when he couldnt sleep (Esther 6) its really funny.

Others are the donkey with more "sense" than Balaam (Num 22), Balaam is so mad biblically speaking his donkey speaking to him doesn't give him reason to pause, he actually answers the donkey!  I mean if you tried to vaccume a corner in your house and your vaccume said "Nope, not going there... " you'd at least pause a minute... say to yourself "Er...wait a  minute did my vaccume just speak to me?!"

Edited by sunshine

2 Sam 10 - Sad account, but imagining David’s servants walking around wearing garments cut in half to expose their buttocks paints a very funny picture. 

Acts 20:9 - Eutychus...what a long sermon!:sleeping: Oops!

Exodus 32:20 - Imagine the next bowel movement for the Israelites after drinking ‘the golden drink’...prune juice anyone?

I love the way the previous translation said "and Jonah proceeded to get up and run away". I would have done the same! And, again old translation, Job 42:8. Jehovah is basically saying" if I have to look at your faces I might do something to you! " I laugh every time. The new translation does miss a few of these nuances.

(Judges 16:16) Because day after day she kept nagging him and pressuring him, he was weary to the point of dying. 

I find it funnier in Spanish as it loosely translates "he became impatient to the point of wanting to die" giving the impression that she nagged him to death.  A single brother in my hall(when I attended spanish) used to read this text to those who asked him why he wasn't married.

(Jueces 16:16) Y aconteció que, porque ella lo apremiaba con sus palabras en todo tiempo, y seguía instándolo, el alma de él se impacientó hasta desear morir. 

Edited by Gimestr

“5 When the Phi·lisʹtines captured the Ark of the true God, they brought it from Eb·en·eʹzer to Ashʹdod. 2 The Phi·lisʹtines took the Ark of the true God and brought it into the house of Daʹgon and set it beside Daʹgon. 3 When the Ashʹdod·ites got up early the next day, there was Daʹgon fallen facedown on the ground before the Ark of Jehovah. So they took Daʹgon and returned him to his place. 4 When they got up early in the morning on the following day, there was Daʹgon fallen facedown on the ground before the Ark of Jehovah. The head of Daʹgon and the palms of both his hands were cut off and were lying on the threshold. Only the fish part had been left intact. 5 That is why to this day, the priests of Daʹgon and all those who enter the house of Daʹgon do not walk on the threshold of Daʹgon in Ashʹdod.” 1 Samuel 5:1-5
:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

One is found at Acts 19:13-16. It says:

I laugh every time I read the demon saying “I know Jesus and I am acquainted with Paul; but who are you” before leaping on the men.

This is probably the most ominous and horrific thing that happened to "random" people in the bible. They thought they were tooling along doing good, boom proved false.

25 minutes ago, Leon J said:

This is probably the most ominous and horrific thing that happened to "random" people in the bible. They thought they were tooling along doing good, boom proved false.

I always took it as if they were false prophets using Jesus name for their own benefit.

9 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

13 But some of the Jews who traveled around casting out demons also tried to use the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had wicked spirits; they would say: “I solemnly charge you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.

Let’s not forget Ezekiel 4:12-15 

12 “You will eat it as you would a round barley loaf; you will bake it before their eyes, using dried human excrement as fuel.” 13 Jehovah went on to say: “This is how the Israelites will eat their bread—unclean—among the nations where I will disperse them.”+

14 I then said: “Not that, Sovereign Lord Jehovah! From my youth until now, I have* not been defiled by eating meat from an animal found dead or a torn animal,+ and no unclean* meat has entered my mouth.”+

15 So he said to me: “All right, I will allow you to use cattle manure instead of human excrement, and you will bake your bread over it.”

:lol:

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

Others are the donkey with more "sense" than Balaam (Num 22), Balaam is so mad biblically speaking his donkey speaking to him doesn't give him reason to pause, he actually answers the donkey!  I mean if you tried to vaccume a corner in your house and your vaccume said "Nope, not going there... " you'd at least pause a minute... say to yourself "Er...wait a  minute did my vaccume just speak to me?!"

YES! I’ve always thought he was crazy for answering the donkey.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Saffron said:

There was one sister who sent me a scripture by text the other day. The message said: "Well... this is in the bible." (Ezekiel 23:20) 

We laughed way harder than we should have. 🤣🤣🤣 Shame on us!

Jeremiah 5:8

They are like eager, lustful horses,

Each neighing after another man’s wife.+

:lol: It’s even funnier in the reference Bible.

Edited by Brother Jack

25 minutes ago, Gimestr said:

I always took it as if they were false prophets using Jesus name for their own benefit.

Me too.

Numbers 11:18-20

Jehovah will certainly give you meat, and you will eat.  19 You will eat, not one day nor 2 days nor 5 days nor 10 days nor 20 days,  20 but for a whole month of days, until it comes out of your nostrils....

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Zech 5:1,2

Again I looked up, and I saw a flying scroll.  2 He asked me: “What do you see?”I replied: “I see a flying scroll,

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Exodus 32:24

So I said to them, ‘Whoever has any gold must take it off and give it to me.’ Then I threw it into the fire and out came this calf.”

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

Exodus 32:24

So I said to them, ‘Whoever has any gold must take it off and give it to me.’ Then I threw it into the fire and out came this calf.”

That's his story and he's sticking to it. 1172451217_LaughingCrackup.gif.d67e5b5519a5ca4fad63c1ef99e35cf2.gif

440px-Worshiping_the_golden_calf.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

This Golden Calf account in Chapter 32 is a funny one indeed. No one wanted to own these rebellious people.

Jehovah: (vs 7) : “Go, descend, because your people, whom you led up out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves.

Moses: (vs 11) ...”Why, O Jehovah, should you turn your burning anger against your people after bringing them out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand?”