JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The shaving thread (not another beard thread)

For the past 10 years I’ve been shaving my head bald due to male pattern baldness. When I first started shaving, I would shave every other day. I got tired of that and then started shaving twice a week, mostly on meeting days. I got tired of that and then started to just shave my head once a week. Another reason why I chose to is because I don’t like to put things on my body that aren’t natural and I didn’t like the idea of putting shaving cream on my head with open pores twice a week.

Recently I decided to start back shaving twice a week but hated the idea of putting that toxic shaving cream on my head. I looked up online how to get a closer shave and read from multiple sources to use extra virgin olive oil. It said it would give you a closer shave and is a natural alternative to shaving cream. All these years I’ve been afraid to read the contents of the shaving cream I buy. I finally did and after seeing the harmful, unnatural contents, I decided to try olive oil. From what I read, it’s better for the skin and will protect your blade from rusting and won’t eat the metal like shaving cream does. I also read that you don’t have to warm up the skin before shaving with olive oil too.

I finally shaved with olive oil tonight before the meeting. It was the best shave I’ve ever had. I thought the blade would pull on the hairs and cut me if I didn’t apply a hot towel to my head first but it didn’t. It cut super close and left my skin feeling smooth and moisturized. The cons to shaving with olive oil is it can be harder to rinse off your blade and the mess it leaves in the sink. Also you must wash your head with soap when you’re done to get rid of the smell of olive oil. I think that this method would work best with a straight razor. In case anyone is wondering, I’m currently using the Bic flex 4 razor and have been doing so for about 7 or 8 years. They work just as good as Gillette.

what do you do to shave? 

PLEASE don’t turn this into a thread about why brothers can’t wear beards :deadhorse:

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

5 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

what do you do to shave

I turn the electric razor on, move it around my face for a minute or two then put it away...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I turn the electric razor on, move it around my face for a minute or two then put it away...

I have to shave my face with electric trimmers because I’ll bump up if I use a razor. I read that olive oil prevents irritation when you use a razor. I’m gonna try to shave with a razor using olive oil on an inconspicuous part of my face and see how it goes...

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Can sisters comment in this topic? 

:whistling:

Lol I thought about that too. I kind of had brothers in mind when I started it but I don’t see why not as long as the comments are appropriate.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I was going to anyway. Make a mixture of coconut oil and olive oil. 

Divide it in half.

Use one half on your head

and the other half on your toast.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I use an electric shaver then go over again with a wet shave with standard soap. If I use shaving creams etc I look like I have been burned.  Almost always for as long as I have been shaving I end up with lumpy sore itchy skin on my neck that calms down after a few hours regardless of how I shave.. So I try not to shave close to meeting times. Think I should try the oil trick. 😉 I hate shaving. 

Edited by Mykyl

Just a tip for when you use olive oil: 

You will need something to run across the blades to help remove the hair and oil if you are using a cartridge razor. For years I’ve been using the edge of a shaving cream bottle top and running the edge of it along the razor blades before running water over it to remove the hair. This time I used a box cutter razor to clean the hair out in between the razors. I know it’s a lot of work but I really don’t want to go back to shaving cream.

I recently bought this product following a search on something that would simplify my shaving task (I also hate shaving!)

Unfortunately it didn't work on me (on the face). I tried by different manners and result was always zero effect (also it didn't cause any irritation)

But other on the comments of Amazon say great things about it. I even wathed videos showing the good results.... It just didn't work for me...

The idea is to shave without any razor and supposedly the effect lasts for 4 days or more

image.png.b53c998505e920be9382c8294b850a99.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAE2Q72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;th=1

30 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I recently bought this product following a search on something that would simplify my shaving task (I also hate shaving!)

Unfortunately it didn't work on me (on the face). I tried by different manners and result was always zero effect (also it didn't cause any irritation)

But other on the comments of Amazon say great things about it. I even wathed videos showing the good results.... It just didn't work for me...

The idea is to shave without any razor and supposedly the effect lasts for 4 days or more

image.png.b53c998505e920be9382c8294b850a99.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAE2Q72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;th=1

Yes, I tried magic shave years ago. That one seems to have a nice smell but the one I had smelled HORRIBLE! Plus, it didn’t work. I’m too afraid of toxic products like that. Years ago I worked with a guy who was also bald and we were talking about shaving. He said he had a friend who was bald and was always trying new products on his head. One day he woke up and the skin on his head was real tight and he developed skin cancer and died. Ever since I heard that I’ve always been real cautious.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to use shaving cream again because the olive oil was eating away at the protective coating above the razor blades and was shortening the lifespan. I hated to do it but I want my razors to last longer. Plus the olive oil would leave a mess in the sink every time. If you are going to use olive oil I would suggest using a straight razor because then you don’t have to worry about oil getting caught in a cartridge. I put grapeseed oil on my head after shaving. Hopefully this will help offset the bad effect of the shaving cream.

On 1/30/2019 at 4:47 AM, Tortuga said:

I do that to my legs

43 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I decided to use shaving cream again because the olive oil was eating away at the protective coating above the razor blades and was shortening the lifespan. I hated to do it but I want my razors to last longer. Plus the olive oil would leave a mess in the sink every time. If you are going to use olive oil I would suggest using a straight razor because then you don’t have to worry about oil getting caught in a cartridge. I put grapeseed oil on my head after shaving. Hopefully this will help offset the bad effect of the shaving cream.

What would pure aloe vera gel be like?  or at  least rub on afterwards.

35 minutes ago, Naturale said:

I do that to my legs

What would pure aloe vera gel be like?  or at  least rub on afterwards.

I’ll have to look into it. If I grew my hair long enough to use shampoo, I would use organic aloe Vera shampoo. It’s natural and it also acts as a conditioner.

Edited by Brother Jack

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 4:51 AM, Tortuga said:

On 1/30/2019 at 4:53 AM, Brother Jack said:

I thought about that too. I kind of had brothers in mind when I started it but I don’t see why not as long as the comments are appropriate.

I've heard a lot of women complain that women's razors cost more than men's razors, but, unless you have super sensitive skin, I don't see why a $1 bag of razors can't last as long as a $12 razor of $10 set of refill cartridges. I find the $1 bad lasts me about 2 shaves per razor, so I might be one or at most 2 per month.

Anyone else like those little shavers?
I like the ones like these:

I find they're good for trimming the eyebrows or shaving those annoying bits of chin hair. (which typically happens to me during PMS)

image.png

On 1/30/2019 at 6:14 AM, rocket said:

Why not, there hair is getting shorter and shorter. :lol:

:lol2:

Edited by Katty

On 2/27/2019 at 9:10 AM, Naturale said:

I accidentally came across a site selling christmas decorations for beards 😛

Some people will buy anything and wind up making a fool out of themselves...

9CDC6283-B42A-4013-A44D-6888B2A4D605.jpeg

13 hours ago, Katty said:

I can't use razors on my legs as I would get ingrowing hairs.  I just use an electric shaver.  I have pretty hairy legs without it even though I'm blonde :D  So in the new system there won't be any shavers.  Eventually that won't matter as we will be changing into what we should be but in the early years when we look pretty much the same it will be interesting having so many hairy women about.  I suppose I will be like a cave woman being up there on the hairometer :D  

Edited by Naturale

2 hours ago, Naturale said:

I can't use razors on my legs as I would get ingrowing hairs.  I just use an electric shaver.  I have pretty hairy legs without it even though I'm blonde :D  So in the new system there won't be any shavers.  Eventually that won't matter as we will be changing into what we should be but in the early years when we look pretty much the same it will be interesting having so many hairy women about.  I suppose I will be like a cave woman being up there on the hairometer :D  

We may still have the freedom to be able to shave in the new world. At least I hope so because I’d rather have a goatee than a full beard in the new world. It seems like it would be controlling of Jehovah to force us to be hairy.

20 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

We may still have the freedom to be able to shave in the new world. At least I hope so because I’d rather have a goatee than a full beard in the new world. It seems like it would be controlling of Jehovah to force us to be hairy.

Well then you or someone else would have to make and supply razors or shavers somehow.    The thing is God designed body hair so why would he want us to shave it off in the future? Why womens legs can get as hairy as mens is baffling.  I mean what man would want a woman to have hairy legs?  It's just not attractive.  And then there's armpits ...

Just now, Naturale said:

Well then you or someone else would have to make and supply razors or shavers somehow.    The thing is God designed body hair so why would he want us to shave it off in the future? Why womens legs can get as hairy as mens is baffling.  I mean what man would want a woman to have hairy legs?  It's just not attractive.  And then there's armpits ...

People would have to supply razors just like someone would have to supply scissors and clippers to cut head hair. It’s like fingernails. Some women wear their nails long, while some wear them short. I think it’s our choice to have hair or not. Some men look better clean shaven. While I won’t speak for all men, I personally don’t find hairy legs on a woman attractive because of the American way of women shaving. I know a sister who married to an unbeliever and refuses to shave her legs because that’s not a custom where she’s from. I feel sorry for her husband lol

While it’s true that Jehovah gave us body hair, some look better without it...

WARNING: I haven’t watched this whole video so I don’t know if there’s profanity.