JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

May WT study edition ONLINE

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1880 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

STUDY ARTICLE 19

Love and Justice in the Face of Wickedness        

This article will consider how children can be kept safe from sexual abuse. We will learn how elders act in behalf of the congregation and how parents can protect their children

STUDY ARTICLE 22

Improve Your Study Habits!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ... we must find time to study—really study—God’s Word and our Christian publications. Our relationship with Jehovah and our everlasting life depend on it!

Edited by Bluebell

dispells a lot of misunderstandings that float around; even though its probly been stated already.

not sure if anything is new for elders?  

i know in california the laws of reporting allegations was a issue for a little bit.

When the Royal Commission in Australia happened; there was a story on the news here. Geoffrey Jackson was the one called to testify. The clip they put on the news:

Interviewer: What would you tell a member of your church who believed there was child abuse going on?

Jackson: Call the police.

I was glad that was the point that made it on the air; at least for my local news. Our Elders aren't legal authorities of any kind. Their job is to handle all the things that the Law doesn't consider a problem.

But when that point made it on the news; I had expected that the topic would come up at some point. I had hoped it would be a special announcement on JW Broadcasting; but the Watchtower is pretty close. more widespread and authoritative, if not as immediate.

There’s also a brilliant article on personal study. There is so much being published. How do we prioritise? And how do we get the most out of our study? Do we quickly glance through the weekly Watchtower study and congregation bible study? Or do we work hard to prepare them well?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

There’s also a brilliant article on personal study. There is so much being published. How do we prioritise? And how do we get the most out of our study? Do we quickly glance through the weekly Watchtower study and congregation bible study? Or do we work hard to prepare them well?

An honest and humble look in the mirror often answers these questions. Thank you for framing these questions as you did. 

16 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

When the Royal Commission in Australia happened; there was a story on the news here. Geoffrey Jackson was the one called to testify. The clip they put on the news:

Interviewer: What would you tell a member of your church who believed there was child abuse going on?

Jackson: Call the police.

I was glad that was the point that made it on the air; at least for my local news. Our Elders aren't legal authorities of any kind. Their job is to handle all the things that the Law doesn't consider a problem.

But when that point made it on the news; I had expected that the topic would come up at some point. I had hoped it would be a special announcement on JW Broadcasting; but the Watchtower is pretty close. more widespread and authoritative, if not as immediate.

Brother,

Can you clarify the last sentence? I think I understand your point but in layman terms for me please? 

Thus article is “ Deep” and it cannot be compared to other articles in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. 

Improve your study habits can be a problem for some who doesn't like to read. Plus, I have come across those who takes the lead doesn't want others to know a lot. It is a very good article that I know some will push it to aside. The articles on abuses is sad. I hope we can stomach these articles, I can't.

Improve your study habits can be a problem for some who doesn't like to read. Plus, I have come across those who takes the lead doesn't want others to know a lot. It is a very good article that I know some will push it to aside. The articles on abuses is sad. I hope we can stomach these articles, I can't.

Of course, it becomes a bit harder when you don’t like to read. But there are great ways to improve your reading habits. You need to find a key to reading so a text will not seems like such an insurmountable mountain.

If someone who ‘takes the lead’ doesn’t want you to know ‘a lot’, he is a bad teacher. Isn’t it the goal of every good teacher for the students to eventually exceed them?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The need for an article like this really adds gravity to just how critical these times are.

I'm eagerly anticipating it, as I feel it's going to have great merit and use providing comfort to those we meet in these last days, for those we meet on the ministry or conduct studies with. It may shock you to know, that in the UK, 1 in 20 children are sexually abused (Figures courtesy of the NSPCC). Our liklihood of running into someone who has suffered from this is growing, and equipping ourselves to deal with it is important. It's the same reason why we've had more information made on mental health too.

Powerful article, powerful information, and as sickening as these crimes against children are, it really does show you how far into satans influence the world has fallen.

German edition is not online yet, maybe waiting for NWT release tomorrow, I guess that this is the starting point to use only NWT2013 quotations in the future ....

I know the brothers here were allowed to push the release date of the Watchtower ahead a bit for the release of the nwt in January 2018. So, it’s a possibility. Are you excited?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, nicolette said:

Brother,

Can you clarify the last sentence? I think I understand your point but in layman terms for me please? 

Thus article is “ Deep” and it cannot be compared to other articles in the past. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. 

Sure

23 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

I had expected that the topic would come up at some point. I had hoped it would be a special announcement on JW Broadcasting; but the Watchtower is pretty close. more widespread and authoritative, if not as immediate.

The Study edition of the Watchtowers are usually written months, or even years in advance. A special segment on JWB can be put out in a day or two if there's a rush. They did it for Russia in less than a week.

Child Abuse in religious organisations is a boiling hot-topic right now; and one that has already been aimed at us. Since the Royal Commission happened in Australia, I was expecting something in response from the Governing Body, or the FDS. As the WT is our primary source of teaching material in the Cong, it is also the most widespread way to reach all JW's. JWB would have been faster, but the Watchtower is more authoritative. It can just take a while longer.

27 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I know the brothers here were allowed to push the release date of the Watchtower ahead a bit for the release of the nwt in January 2018. So, it’s a possibility. Are you excited?

extremely excited since many weeks :-), can't wait to hold it in my hands.....

May 2019 Study Edition:

Love and Justice in the Christian Congregation (Part 2 of 4)

Love and Justice in the Face of Wickedness (Part 3 of 4)

Providing Comfort for Victims of Abuse (Part 4 of 4)

The series started off with:

Love and Justice in Ancient Israel (Part 1 of 4) found in the Feb 2019 study edition. Quite a jump there.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 5:07 PM, Thesauron said:

I think many of us, myself included, would ask this question. But I'm glad this article gives us some excellent guidance.

IMG_1107.PNG

I really appreciated the timing on this article about sexual abuse. I had just found out that a family member had been abused by her 2 years older brother when she was probably around 6 years old. I downloaded the article for her mother so she would have better information to help her daughter. I'm sure it helped both of them.