JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Android jw library no longer opens jwpub files?

I don’t know what’s going on. I cannot get jwlibrary on Android to open a jwpub file. I uninstalled and reinstalled as a last resort jwlibrary but still it does not recognise that jwlibrary should open them as it always has.

On miPad I have the new study watchtower ready to read but not on android and as I say above jwpub files are no longer set to open in jwlibrary. No way that I can find to set the default app either. Jwlibrary is just not listed as able to open them.

Any idea?

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

I don’t know what’s going on. I cannot get jwlibrary on Android to open a jwpub file. I uninstalled and reinstalled as a last resort jwlibrary but still it does not recognise that jwlibrary should open them as it always has.

On miPad I have the new study watchtower ready to read but not on android and as I say above jwpub files are no longer set to open in jwlibrary. No way that I can find to set the default app either. Jwlibrary is just not listed as able to open them.

Any idea?

Thanks

I had that problem last year when I would download the jwpub file and then use the file manager to try to open it. The stock android file manager wouldn't associate the jwpub file with JWLibrary. I started using a different file manager and it works fine. I use ES File Explorer for Android.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

I had that problem last year when I would download the jwpub file and then use the file manager to try to open it. The stock android file manager wouldn't associate the jwpub file with JWLibrary. I started using a different file manager and it works fine. I use ES File Explorer for Android.

I will try another one. Thank you.

Yes, most likely corrupted file.
However, it could be that the default app does not recognise the extension tail.
When I DL a jwlib file it, Android leaves me a message on the top of the phone to show the DL is finished. I use My Files to go to my downloads and locate the DL.
I am guessing that you do all this too. When I press on the jwpub file, I get asked what to open it with. I have toook for more apps, and select our lib app.
Perhaps try force this under 'Settings - Default App permissions.' [see pic]
Please make sure you have enough free space, and that the lib app 'settings' is putting you data on the sd card.
Hope this helps... 40ebb9372ccc375ef69cff46599064f1.jpg44b7e8985ac70866ef7e1383aa001fd2.jpg04c1950a82b218b0fa5317c81ff8e2c3.jpg

Just Older

31 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That got it working. Thank you.

By the way I’m on a Samsung Galaxy s8 plus.

2 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

There is probably a better answer but that worked for me...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

23 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Pic update

Sorry, box hiding proper selection... 3dfe34569af789801938b40aabca698f.jpg

Just Older emoji856.png

Thank you for that. I tried all sorts but Tortuga/Richards solution worked. I already owned Es file explorer pro but did not have it installed. 

Thanks again folks.

Edited by Mykyl

Does this have anything to do with us in here who use Google on tablets that are Android? 

Google+ will shut down for consumers on April 2nd, 2019 - 9to5Google

2 days ago - Revealed today on the company's support pages, Google+ is shutting down for consumers on April 2nd, 2019. As originally stated, Google is closing the platform due to “low usage” and the “challenges involved with maintaining a successful product that meets… expectations.”

Does this have anything to do with us in here who use Google on tablets that are Android? 

Not that I know of. Google + (which I joined), was a social media app. Not very well supported. I think they tried to steal some Facebook customers - but failed - so are shutting it down.

Google will still operate, and Android is strongly supported, so no shut-down there.

However, Google is also shutting down their 'Inbox' app as well.

Must be some kind of rationalisation going on. Chopping off dead wood.

But their Gmail is still going exceptionally well.

2f6e9e608d67b781176a2ec592bb0ad4.jpg&key=f3282db271efdc4a4d7b1ba35a629fd12e0787c97e4f58f3afb542fdde097d6261d5ceb2edb234f88ca33c91a2f53d3e.jpg&key=9282b9653c2d498449563ebf9d92d051640d42b2e00b8951895c6b228f986c7b

Just Older

• 2 weeks later...

If you download a jwpub file from jw.org using the default browser on your Android device the file won't open in your jwlib app.

You need to download the jwpub file from jw.org using Chrome. Once the file has been downloaded with Chrome it opens directly in your jwlib app.

Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, Jac said:

If you download a jwpub file from jw.org using the default browser on your Android device the file won't open in your jwlib app.

You need to download the jwpub file from jw.org using Chrome. Once the file has been downloaded with Chrome it opens directly in your jwlib app.

Welcome Br. Jacques, this is good advice.  I also noted that the process works a little better sometimes if you open the JW.ORG site from the options at the bottom of the page in JW Library app.  I don't know if it is because the Library has already been opened or not.  At the bottom of the home page in the Library app there are 4 (or 5 if you count the [?] mark) boxes or links.  Choose the first one to go to JW.ORG and my chrome seems to work better.  It also works on my Apple Ipad.

11 hours ago, Jac said:

Hope this helps!

I use chrome by default. I have no idea why it didn’t work at that time but am glad it’s sorted.

thank you.

• 1 month later...
Guest Charming
On 2/1/2019 at 2:40 PM, Mykyl said:

My buddy was having the exact same problem. ES File Explorer let him choose JWlibrary to open the jwpub. Success!!