JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

As a recovering tax pro, I have still done a handful of tax preps every year for friends. This year I have decided NOT to do this. Personally, my income is below the poverty line and I do not have a filing requirement. A couple of reasons:

I. A bible student who attends meetings sporadically  has Soc Security and a Pension. She told me she does not report the pension to her housing authority because                                                                     her rent would go up. True that, and I don't want to know that info. 

ii. Last year a Sis came in with years of unfiled back taxes. One was so old, I could not find the efile code I had already paid for. Since NY is an efile State, I paid                                                                             the money for her efile. She has mentioned it twice since then, but never paid back a penny.

iii. I really don't want to know that much personal info about people who may be very far behind in tax payments and living large. One of these persons charges me                                                                         for every 'favor' she has done for me.

iv. I buy the program, paper, ink, and use my electronic equipment (Computer, printer). They want multiple extra copies, for just in case. No one has ever offered me a                                                                       dime.

I'm something of a wimp and just told one person that I am not doing taxes this year. She has already called back and said she is worried about her taxes, and if she buys the program, will  I do hers. I really don't want to cave. She has several times the income that I have and can afford to go down the street and have them done professionally.  I expect to see her later today. Help.                                  p.s I haven't taken tax update courses for about ten years. 

Edited by kejedo

13 minutes ago, kejedo said:

As a recovering tax pro, I have still done a handful of tax preps every year for friends. This year I have decided NOT to do this. Personally, my income is below the poverty line and I do not have a filing requirement. A couple of reasons:

I. A bible student who attends meetings sporadically  has Soc Security and a Pension. She told me she does not report the pension to her housing authority because                                                                     her rent would go up. True that, and I don't want to know that info. 

ii. Last year a Sis came in with years of unfiled back taxes. One was so old, I could not find the efile code I had already paid for. Since NY is an efile State, I paid                                                                             the money for her efile. She has mentioned it twice since then, but never paid back a penny.

iii. I really don't want to know that much personal info about people who may be very far behind in tax payments and living large. One of these persons charges me                                                                         for every 'favor' she has done for me.

iv. I buy the program, paper, ink, and use my electronic equipment (Computer, printer). They want multiple extra copies, for just in case. No one has ever offered me a                                                                       dime.

I'm something of a wimp and just told one person that I am not doing taxes this year. She has already called back and said she is worried about her taxes, and if she buys the program, will  I do hers. I really don't want to cave. She has several times the income that I have and can afford to go down the street and have them done professionally.  I expect to see her later today. Help.                                  p.s I haven't taken tax update courses for about ten years. 

6 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Stick to your guns. No taxes. I don't mind doing favors for people but I hate being used by ingrates. Unfortunately many with decent income ( including witnesses ) use those with much lower incomes.

Absolutely. There’s no worse feeling than when you realize you’re being used, especially by those that should know better. 

Been there done that too many times.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

I agree with not wanting too much information. It can cause us to be bothered by our conscience at times and cause a rift in the congregation. And in a time when you can easily do your taxes online in under an hour (the service I use costs under $75) < it makes no sense to burden our brothers or sisters with these tasks. But if you do choose to do any taxes this year after all, it’s fair to agree on a cost and what will be provided for that cost up front. 

If she has several times your income, she can afford a tax service. Or she can figure it out herself somehow. You stated your position "I'm not doing taxes this year." That really should be the end of it. 

On 2/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, Loopy said:

Absolutely. There’s no worse feeling than when you realize you’re being used, especially by those that should know better. 

Been there done that too many times.

This is the worst. I'm trying hard to have better boundaries to avoid anymore of this these days. It makes me sad that it has come to this. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:51 AM, kejedo said:

She has several times the income that I have and can afford to go down the street and have them done professionally.  I expect to see her later today. Help.  

How did you go, Pauline?

You simply cannot over-extend yourself anymore.  Your health and sanity comes first.  I really hope that when you say NO to them, they back off.  "I am not in a position to do anyone's taxes from now on.  Here are your options ....." And leave it at that.  Hugs, dear sis!  Stay firm.

46 minutes ago, kejedo said:

I'm surprising myself by hanging tough. Thanks Sister Lucy!

Good for you Pauline! Remember, you don’t have to explain why to anyone either. If someone keeps pestering you, I’d tell them to “please stop asking”. :D

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

DON’T DO IT! Lol

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"