JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australia floods: Crocodiles seen in 'once in a century' waters

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1888 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Authorities in Townsville, Australia have warned residents to beware of crocodiles and snakes spotted in floodwaters in residential areas.

More than 1,100 people have been evacuated from the town amid a "once in a century" flood.

On Sunday, the city authorities released a dam which had swollen to double its capacity following a week of record rainfall.

Authorities have said more heavy rain is expected in coming days.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47112044

http _prod.static9.net.au_fs_82eff33a-5b05-4f54-bf6e-d0354657aaee.jpg

http _prod.static9.net.au_fs_ca5c6ef9-5343-44e0-8f93-7b5cc33ac4fe.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Here it was reported they got a years worth of rain in a week. Is that right?

Yes. Annual rainfall of Melbourne is 650 mm. Townsville area had more in 2 days. This year they already have 2x their annual rainfall ( normally 1.5m) in just 1 month (now over 3m or 10 ft in 34 days of 2019). They are getting upto 400mm (16" per day).

And there is a large monsoon trough feeding in more as we speak. And 2 to 3 months of our wet season left.

2 years ago their dam for drinking water was critically low at 9%.

It is now at 250% with all gates open... e67a866e662486e2f646b87684facbe4.jpg&key=f6f3b98d1b7ae57273380561ba99093a4fb1f99d28684741ad701d50bab7e71a

cf734f60289db9cbe5816e9423a480c2.jpg

Is this the same continent that had wild horses die because of no water? Things are downright crazy. They say this is a rare flood, then it happens again. Mankind is not only sick, but the earth is too. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

There's definitely an overuse of the term "Once in a Century storm/flooding/whatever"

Everytime our river floods in Wanganui - that term is used ... lost some impact now.

Greg ... we don't have crocs in NZ (or snakes, poisonous octopi, worms that shoot acid, big as scary spiders that stalk us, swarms of jellyfish, why even the benign looking platypus is venomous) ... hint - hint - MOVE!! Lol.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Here it was reported they got a years worth of rain in a week. Is that right?
7am news reported on area near Townsville got 346mm in 2 hours. (13.66").
Sadly, a lot more on the way, as the monsoon low is just staying put feeding in more rain.
We haven't been able to get out in the field for some days now...

Just Older

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Greg ... we don't have crocs in NZ (or snakes, poisonous octopi, worms that shoot acid, big as scary spiders that stalk us, swarms of jellyfish, why even the benign looking platypus is venomous) ... hint - hint - MOVE!! Lol.

I think that the Earthquakes you have would rattle me. 

Hebrews 10:25 …. encouraging one another...even more as you see the day drawing near.

4 hours ago, Stormswift said:

There's definitely an overuse of the term "Once in a Century storm/flooding/whatever"

It's not an overuse. Until about three years ago, storms/quakes/floods/bushfires this bad only came once a century. Natural disasters were literally measured by how often one of such magnitude came along; and they only happened once a century. Now they come once a month. The AM talks about disaster relief and the sudden climb in recovery costs. It's not coming from nowhere.

Anyone on the Forum from the Townsville area? We'r getting the news day and night, but I haven't heard about our people yet.

Hi All, 

we live in this area and total rainfall for the event was an average of 1.5 meters in 7 days. Most days we would get between 200mm - 400mm. 

Have just had news from our cong that only one of our brothers house was damaged and now not as bad as was originally thought. 

Most of our families in our cong only got water in the backyard/ front yard (a lot of highest homes in townsville). 

We have been blessed with the rain as we needed it. Just not all at once. Half a metre a month for 3 months would of been better! 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:59 PM, Stormswift said:

Everytime our river floods in Wanganui - that term is used ... lost some impact now.

in 2010 Nashville Tennessee had a 1000 year flood, billions of dollars and loss of life, many homes and businesses including the famous Opryland mall. Many of the friends homes were flooded, but were taken care of by the brothers and sisters who volunteered dispite working in the warm weather having to wear protective covering and mask.I was fortunate as the creek behind my home over filled and came within a foot of flooding my crawl space and then stopped.

Yes, certainly these disasters are becoming more and more common and more frequent than "one in a hundred/thousand etc years".

As Townsville floods, there are parts of Australia burning with bush fires, some burning uncontrollably for days - Tasmania, for instance.  And right now, a few kilometres from where I live in Perth, a bushfire is still not controlled, burning through suburbs and causing mass evacuations.  It is being fanned by 35C + temps and ferocious winds "It said easterly winds of that strength generally occurred only once every two to three years, and could cause damage to homes and property, most likely over the hills and foothills." https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-07/emergency-warning-issued-forrestdale-bushfire-school-evacuated/10790884

Australia - a land of drought, flooding rains and fire.

13 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And right now, a few kilometres from where I live in Perth, a bushfire is still not controlled, burning through suburbs and causing mass evacuations.

Oh Lucy..how frightening! I will pray for you and the brothers and sisters that you will all be helped by Jehovah to be safe!😉  If we were there, we would have to wear  masks most all the time for the smoke! 😷

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

The Qld Premier announced this morning it is now a 1 in 500 year event.

It is still raining here, but the weather forecasters predict this is the last day of rain as the low moves out to sea.

But the Low left its mark inland from Townsville as well. 250,000 head of cattle washed away as 3 years of rain landed in 10 days...

Just Older

18d6fa6d82cae20d9b41d48a2e9142d2.jpg

Floods, fires, wind storms, earthquakes, tornados, volcanos, tsunamis, sink holes, drought,  animal attacks, social, economic, political strife...

It's the "new normal" for the time of the end.

What does this mean for all of us?  It brings us closer together as we take care of one another and help one another out. It sets us apart from the rest.  This is just the teaser for what is about to come during the great tribulation.  Jehovah has not kept us in the dark as to these things. For years we have been told to get ready with GO Bags, for when disaster strikes.  I know I have to prepare better with my go bag. 

Like 21:11 There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.

How can we pull together for one another? Let your needs be known so we can all pitch in to help.

Hang in there friends, and do what you can to stay safe.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah