JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hey You Guys!

I'm generally not annoyed by, like, you know, over use of repetitive and hackneyed phrases. But, I've been looking at some you-tubes for those of us who self style our own hair. Watched one that started out with 'Hey, you guys.' Now, I'm not offended when folks use the generic 'guys' for all genders, but I wanted to get through to the cut/color/style part. Almost every other sentence used the phrases "You guys' or 'all you guys.' She eventually concluded with, "I'd like all you guyses' opinion on this vid." I don't give feedback on you-tube, so I'm expressing my small opinion, here. I'm glad we are encouraged to use respectful speech. "You know wha'm sayin?"

Y (self-cutting)S        

Guys when used for all genders is so American. I don't think it is used in that sense in other Anglophone countries as much. 

I wonder if sisters get offended when "brothers" is used for all genders. :)

Maybe they do in the US, because I have noticed that "friends" is used very often in congregations as a more gender neutral term. 

15 hours ago, kejedo said:

I'm generally not annoyed by, like, you know, over use of repetitive and hackneyed phrases. But, I've been looking at some you-tubes for those of us who self style our own hair. Watched one that started out with 'Hey, you guys.' Now, I'm not offended when folks use the generic 'guys' for all genders, but I wanted to get through to the cut/color/style part. Almost every other sentence used the phrases "You guys' or 'all you guys.' She eventually concluded with, "I'd like all you guyses' opinion on this vid." I don't give feedback on you-tube, so I'm expressing my small opinion, here. I'm glad we are encouraged to use respectful speech. "You know wha'm sayin?"

Y (self-cutting)S        

If they start there video out saying,  "This is your girl,  (insert name)"  I find that I am not going to listen to it.  LOL.  I know that is crazy, but for some reason that aggravates me.  :)  

1 hour ago, Bek said:

Guys when used for all genders is so American. I don't think it is used in that sense in other Anglophone countries as much. 

I wonder if sisters get offended when "brothers" is used for all genders. :)

Maybe they do in the US, because I have noticed that "friends" is used very often in congregations as a more gender neutral term. 

My nephew calls his girlfriend "bro".  My sister loses it every time she hears that.  "I would have broken up with your father if he ever called me 'bro'".  

16 hours ago, kejedo said:

Y (self-cutting)S        

Most large businesses in Canada have started using the word “People” instead of the word “Guys” when making referencing to a collective group. I remember I had to change my wording at a company I worked at as some were offended. 

Was at a hosp earlier this week, and they had a display board that you couldn't miss with a number of standard size colored paper, each with a single message. The last one (my favorite) stated: "Please do not use perfumes or fragrance. These things severely damage the health of our patients." The very fist one had this legend: "Please check in with the girls at the front desk." All of those 'girls' appeared to be over 30 y/o. 

That's all folks, and by folks, I mean all y'all guys. 

Y (pondering pluperfect participles)S                                   

P.S. by now I would have been

Edited by kejedo

28 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Exactly what I thought of when I saw the title! #livedthrough80sfilms

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 2/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, kejedo said:

I'm generally not annoyed by, like, you know, over use of repetitive and hackneyed phrases. 

Kejedo, I love your comments and observations.  If you need a project to do, consider a deep-dive on subject 'jargon through the ages'.

In high school, everything was 'boss'.  "That is so boss".

Then it was 'rad'.

Then it was 'dope'.  "That new song is 'dope'.

I think, currently, it's 'sick'.  

I can feel my hair turning grey as my yearbook pages turn yellow.

Just for fun, I go back to 'boss' when speaking to 20-somethings.

I say "Dude, that is so boss'  and they kind of look at me like "Wait, is that what we're saying' now? Is that sick or what" ?

Thanks, Doug. 

The word "girl" in the 1300s referred to either a male or female child. https://www.etymonline.com/word/girl        Then it came to specifically refer to a female child. 

For years in American English, unless it was a boat, the pronoun 'he' was used. Women objected and many works were rewritten to use he and she (and their cognates)

By the 1970s, grown up females objected to being referred to as 'girls.'  and 'women' became the preferred pronoun. Now it has circled the drain again and people in American use "guys" for collective  groups. I have not heard any one refer to a single woman as a 'guy"

The history of "guy"

guy - Wiktionary

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/guy

Dec 19, 2018 · Etymology 1 . Named from Guy Fawkes (1570–1606), an English Catholic hanged for his role in the Gunpowder Plot. Noun . guy ... The usage of the plural guys in the phrase “some guys chased them away” would generally be assumed to mean men rather than women.

My stepson Guy is so Fly

He's a lad that makes me glad.

Would I say he is dope? Nope.

(Guy's Bonus MOM) YS

Thanks, Doug. 
The word "girl" in the 1300s referred to either a male or female child. https://www.etymonline.com/word/girl        Then it came to specifically refer to a female child. 
For years in American English, unless it was a boat, the pronoun 'he' was used. Women objected and many works were rewritten to use he and she (and their cognates)
By the 1970s, grown up females objected to being referred to as 'girls.'  and 'women' became the preferred pronoun. Now it has circled the drain again and people in American use "guys" for collective  groups. I have not heard any one refer to a single woman as a 'guy"
The history of "guy"

guy - Wiktionary

Dec 19, 2018 · Etymology 1 . Named from Guy Fawkes (1570–1606), an English Catholic hanged for his role in the Gunpowder Plot. Noun . guy ... The usage of the plural guys in the phrase “some guys chased them away” would generally be assumed to mean men rather than women.

My stepson Guy is so Fly

(Guy's Bonus MOM) YS

That’s interesting.

I’ve long been interested in when people switch from boy to man, and girl to woman. And why some elderly people call themselves girls or boys. Also, if you can call a mixed group ‘guys’ or ‘guyses’, would it work equally well to call a mixed group ‘girls’ or ‘gals’?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, kejedo said:

The history of "guy"

guy - Wiktionary

My stepson Guy is so Fly

(Guy's Bonus MOM) YS

That is so interesting.  Just looking briefly at the Wikipedia content, I had to look up the word 'recusant'. This was used to describe his step-father, "a recusant Catholic".

More on this please. Why do bank robbers sometimes wear the Guy Fawkes mask?  What's the message ?

That is so interesting.  Just looking briefly at the Wikipedia content, I had to look up the word 'recusant'. This was used to describe his step-father, "a recusant Catholic".

More on this please. Why do bank robbers sometimes wear the Guy Fawkes mask?  What's the message ?

It’s the symbol of the whole Anonymous movement.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 2/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, Doug said:

Kejedo, I love your comments and observations.  If you need a project to do, consider a deep-dive on subject 'jargon through the ages'.

In high school, everything was 'boss'.  "That is so boss".

Then it was 'rad'.

Then it was 'dope'.  "That new song is 'dope'.

I think, currently, it's 'sick'.  

I can feel my hair turning grey as my yearbook pages turn yellow.

Just for fun, I go back to 'boss' when speaking to 20-somethings.

I say "Dude, that is so boss'  and they kind of look at me like "Wait, is that what we're saying' now? Is that sick or what" ?

Wait till everything is schway

I will have to watch my terminology XD I'm learning some words like "craye-craye" really irritate some people and it's one of my go to words... 😂 Most of my friends will say use the term "hey guys" and I'm a bit of a tomboy so I'm usually like what do u want. (we are literally in the middle of country, so there are a lot of country terms too like "over yonder," "wazzup," etc.)   Different terms for different people, so I'm gonna make a list of words and people not to use them around lol, I don't wanna get choked XD 🤣

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I will have to watch my terminology XD I'm learning some words like "craye-craye" really irritate some people and it's one of my go to words...  Most of my friends will say use the term "hey guys" and I'm a bit of a tomboy so I'm usually like what do u want. (we are literally in the middle of country, so there are a lot of country terms too like "over yonder," "wazzup," etc.)   Different terms for different people, so I'm gonna make a list of words and people not to use them around lol, I don't wanna get choked XD 

Take it as a chance to improve your vocabulary. There isn’t anything inherently wrong with these words, but when we use them as fillers, there’s something lacking.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...