JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Good News Brochure videos

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1865 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/videos-embedded-in-good-news-brochure/

Videos Now Embedded in Good News Brochure
Digital editions of the brochure Good News From God! on jw.org and in the JW Library app now include videos that supplement the material. If you have already downloaded the Good News brochure in JW Library, go to PUBLICATIONS > PENDING UPDATES to download the latest version with embedded videos. To watch the videos even while offline, open the Good News brochure in JW Library and tap the Download Media button in the top right corner of the screen.

:thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Br. Richard, I wasn't able to get any of my tablets or phones or computers to show "pending update" for this publication.  I tried two work-arounds. First one: I went to the JW.ORG website, went to "Publications", and selected the brochure to download in "jwpub" file format.  When I opened it in JW Library everything was OK.  Second one: I just deleted the brochure from mys JW Library and re-installed it.  It came up with the updated version.

Neither system showed the exact display as noted in the published instructions (this was IOS, Android and Win10).  If you open the newly updated brochure, you have to select a lesson with a video (no videos in lesson #1, #9, #11, #13 and #14 or the concluding #15).  Choose Lesson 2 for example. If you see the picture with the video "play" arrow in the middle and click on it the video will play. BUT it is in wifi "straming" mode.  You need a constant internet connection to make this work.

Go back the beginning of the lesson, look at the top menu bar on the right.  Choose the 3 dots and click on them.  Another menu opens and the choice of "show Media" or something like that is usually 2nd or 3r on the list.  Click on that and a page appears with all of the media choices on you device.  The ones marked "picture" are already loaded in the brochure.  Chatpter two has a video.  If you have already downloaded it at another time it will show as ready to play.  If you have not it will show the little "cloud" symbol for you to download.  When you have gone through each cahpeter and made sure the vidoes are installed they are ready for your use.

The default method is still streaming over the internet.  To play your downloaded and installed video, you have to go to the top, choose the 3 dots and select "show media".  then just choose the video you want to see (without an internet or streaming data connection.  If you show the video more than once it is cheaper for the organization if you play from the download.

21 hours ago, leoperales said:

Just delete the publicación and re-download it. That’s what I did and the revised version of the brochure showed up. 

Didn’t “seem” to work for me.

where pray tell would the videos be?

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

1 minute ago, Loopy said:

Didn’t “seem” to work for me.

where pray tell would the videos be?

"To watch the videos even while offline, open the Good News brochure in JW Library and tap the Download Media button in the top right corner of the screen."

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I don’t see any “download media” button on the iPad.   :shrugs:

When you open a chapter, is there a spot you can go to to look at the Media for that chapter?

Huh! That I found but it says: “show media”. It’s just for pictures. 

Maybe I just have to wait for the “ pending updates” to come up.

oh well, that would be okay too. 😁

1 minute ago, Loopy said:

If the brochure hasn't been updated or replaced then it will just show pictures. I haven't seen any updates for the brochure on JWL so I did as the other brothers did, I deleted the brochure and then downloaded it again. The videos were included in the Media on the new brochure.

45 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Sr. Linda, if you do not have the updated Good News brochure and there is no "pending update" waiting for you, just delete the brochure from your list in the JW Library app then wait a minute and reload it in the same place.  The reloaded version will have the videos in the "show media" list along with the pictures in the book.  It worked on all of my devices in all three operating systems.  Whem you first click on the "show media" and the page opens the videos will be at the top.  If you have not already downloaded them for use on that device, you will have to do so.  There are only 10 videos for the 14 Lessons plus the conclusion.  So to test it out use Lesson 2 (Lesson 1 does not have a viseo).

8 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Sr. Linda, if you do not have the updated Good News brochure and there is no "pending update" waiting for you, just delete the brochure from your list in the JW Library app then wait a minute and reload it in the same place.  The reloaded version will have the videos in the "show media" list along with the pictures in the book.  It worked on all of my devices in all three operating systems.  Whem you first click on the "show media" and the page opens the videos will be at the top.  If you have not already downloaded them for use on that device, you will have to do so.  There are only 10 videos for the 14 Lessons plus the conclusion.  So to test it out use Lesson 2 (Lesson 1 does not have a viseo).

Thank you! That was my oroblem. I didn’t go to any chapter except chapter one. Voila! I got videos. LOL

28 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Br. Chris, are you talking about individual publications not updating or are you talking about the entire JW Library app?

Pulling down on Home page and waiting does nothing. On 3 devices.

I have the updated Good News brochure now anyway. By reinstalling. Thanks.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Could it be that the instructions "tap the Download Media button in the top right corner of the screen." are for the new JW Library app yet to be released.

Also this news seems to be released early, as there hasn't been a catalog database update for a few days, so no one will see a pending update until that happens.

As commented, deleting and redownloading gets you the new one.  That's all the pending update does anyway.

5 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Could it be that the instructions "tap the Download Media button in the top right corner of the screen." are for the new JW Library app yet to be released.

Good thought, I wonder if that explains the problem some of us had updating some of the publications.

4 minutes ago, CouveBro said:

Does the JW app do a backup? I hate to lose my notes from the brochure if I have to delete it and then reinstall it in order to get the videos. 

I have deleted and reinstalled individual publications many times and I haven't lost any of my notes for the publication.

You can experiment with a recent magazine and see if it works.

39 minutes ago, CouveBro said:

Does the JW app do a backup? I hate to lose my notes from the brochure if I have to delete it and then reinstall it in order to get the videos. 

You won’t lose your “notes” or “highlights” when deleting a publication and downloading it again or updating a publication.

🏼The only time you will lose your notes and highlights is if you delete the JW Library app entirely AND you don’t have a backup file of your notes and highlights to restore from. 

Now that it’s available in Spanish, I’m looking into this a little more. Apparently the embedded videos are streaming regardless if you have previously downloaded the videos. I put my iPad in airplane mode after downloading the videos and played the embedded videos in the lesson and I got a pop up saying that this requires an internet connection.  

Therefore, I don’t think we’ll be “breaking the bank” if we stream these out in the field ministry, since that’s how the app was designed.  

11 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Apparently the embedded videos are streaming regardless if you have previously downloaded the videos. I put my iPad in airplane mode after downloading the videos and played the embedded videos in the lesson and I got a pop up saying that this requires an internet connection.

I can play the videos when I put my Android device in Airplane mode.

When I put my PC in Airplane mode and started to play the video from chapter 2, it initially showed that it was trying to stream but then started playing the video.

Edited by Tortuga

7 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Now that it’s available in Spanish, I’m looking into this a little more. Apparently the embedded videos are streaming regardless if you have previously downloaded the videos. I put my iPad in airplane mode after downloading the videos and played the embedded videos in the lesson and I got a pop up saying that this requires an internet connection.  

Therefore, I don’t think we’ll be “breaking the bank” if we stream these out in the field ministry, since that’s how the app was designed.  

Br. Leonardo, this is fine. I look for ways to save the dedicated funds for other important uses.  To download a video once and to stream it once costs the same amount.  After the second time it costs more to stream but the video quality is the same.  In my area, we have poor internet service so to show the video at the door or on a Bible Study requires the downloaded version anyway.  8-9 million witnesses showing videos several times a day for weeks on end eventually adds up.

Son't worry about it if the streaming works best for you in all situations...😉

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Br. Leonardo, this is fine. I look for ways to save the dedicated funds for other important uses.  To download a video once and to stream it once costs the same amount.  After the second time it costs more to stream but the video quality is the same.  In my area, we have poor internet service so to show the video at the door or on a Bible Study requires the downloaded version anyway.  8-9 million witnesses showing videos several times a day for weeks on end eventually adds up.

Son't worry about it if the streaming works best for you in all situations...😉

I understand. Thanks!

I do wonder how much it costs the branch for us comfortably use the streaming services as we have been. I mean, we're talking about streaming: 1) tv.jw.org, 2) stream.jw.org, 3) streaming JW Library: 3a) Streaming the bible reading, 3b) Streaming the publications reading.  

That's a lot of streaming.