JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

11-year-old Florida boy arrested after refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance, confrontation

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1886 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/national/11-year-old-florida-boy-arrested-after-refusing-to-stand-for-pledge-of-allegiance-confrontation

An 11-year-old boy in Florida refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, later became disruptive and ended up getting arrested earlier this month.

The boy is a sixth grader at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Florida. He was arrested and taken to a juvenile detention center, charged with disrupting a school function and resisting arrest without violence.

Now, his mother, Dhakira Talbot, is demanding the charges be dropped. 

Wrong to get disruptive, but I'd want the charges dropped, too.  Arrested is a bit far. 

21 minutes ago, Wanda Hill said:

Just another way for the press to get a rise out of the public, once you read the whole story, you find it isn't about the standing for the flag, he was arrested for assault.

I'm kind of thinking something similar here. 

I have been following this story and this is my understanding. This is way more than an innocent child being unfairly charged for failing to recite the pledge of allegiance. He was completely out of line, totally disruptive, non-compliant, and may have actually assaulted or attempted to assault someone. Not 100% sure because there are multiple stories floating around here. If he did that and the teacher got fired, that is something. 

Regardless of the details, I hate the thought of sending my child into a school where other children feel free to behave like this. In addition, I feel sorry for the teachers who are there to teach, not to deal with behavioral issues. Those are better dealt with at home, by the parents. 

51 minutes ago, Saffron said:

I'm kind of thinking something similar here. 

I have been following this story and this is my understanding. This is way more than an innocent child being unfairly charged for failing to recite the pledge of allegiance. He was completely out of line, totally disruptive, non-compliant, and may have actually assaulted or attempted to assault someone. Not 100% sure because there are multiple stories floating around here. If he did that and the teacher got fired, that is something. 

Regardless of the details, I hate the thought of sending my child into a school where other children feel free to behave like this. In addition, I feel sorry for the teachers who are there to teach, not to deal with behavioral issues. Those are better dealt with at home, by the parents. 

The teacher was a substitute that didn't know or understand about the right not to have to stand or salute the flag, she pushed the issue resulting in upsetting the youth and insulting him in front of the whole class, saying things like " if you don't like this country leave", he not being a witness youth, and black was probably raised up to stand his ground! Then it escalated further until in the school's eyes became uncontrolable.In my opinion the teacher instigated the problem, things like this can leave emotional scars that last for years on a young child, if not a lifetime. The mother has a lawyer, it will be interesting  to see the final results, unless of course it's handled  out of court. The teacher learned a great deal also, she's looking for other employment! 

Edited by Lee49

missed word

Another news story, with some clarification from the school regarding it's policy on freedom of expression.  It was not about the refusal to take the pledge of allegiance, but rather involved an over-reaction by the substitute teacher which led to the student becoming agitated, then abusive to staff, etc.

""We do not condone the substitute's behavior," the statement read. "We respect our students' right to freedom of expression and we are committed to protecting that critical right while ensuring peaceful classrooms so all students can learn.""

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fla-sixth-grader-arrested-over-disruption-not-pledge-of-allegiance-refusal-police-say/ar-BBTLzC0?ocid=spartandhp

Just another way for the press to get a rise out of the public, once you read the whole story, you find it isn't about the standing for the flag, he was arrested for assault.

That’s understood. Yet, there’s never a good reason to arrest an 11yo. It’s just despicable.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”