JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Did you know? WT Library

I found this out the other day and though it good to share with those who didn't know it. Especially brother who give Public Talks.

If you Select All in a outline and copy to the clipboard and then open WT Library (CD-Rom), click in the view box  and press CTRL-ALT-C it will find all the scriptures and display the result on one go.

6 hours ago, Jako said:

I found this out the other day and though it good to share with those who didn't know it. Especially brother who give Public Talks.

If you Select All in a outline and copy to the clipboard and then open WT Library (CD-Rom), click in the view box  and press CTRL-ALT-C it will find all the scriptures and display the result on one go.

Awesome!  Thank you...

6 hours ago, Jako said:

This is very useful...

because I print all of my scriptures out for talks.. now I can just select the ones i end up using from the batch -  without finding each one..

That deserves a donut 🍩

Simplified steps:

1. Step  Select All text – everything in your outline

2. Copy to clipboard – press CTRL and C key

3. Open Watchtower Library

4. Click in the view box (upper left corner -search section)

5. Press CTRL-ALT-C

6. All scriptures will be displayed

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

if your editor or location you are copying the text from does not have "Select All Text" option ...

1. place your cursor at the beginning of the text
  2. Press CTRL SHIFT and the END key
  3. All text will be highlighted
  4. then use CTRL C to copy the text
  5. proceed as in Greg's post

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

if your editor or location you are copying the text from does not have "Select All Text" option ...

1. place your cursor at the beginning of the text
  2. Press CTRL SHIFT and the END key
  3. All text will be highlighted
  4. then use CTRL C to copy the text
  5. proceed as in Greg's post

Interesting! 

Ctrl +A usually works for me too 

There is nothing new under the Sun, I have used this method to put all the scriptures in one place. It is a feature of the oldest WTLibrary that I have. Note: if a scripture reference is broken at the end of a line in the outline or article, it will not register. For all of us that I finding the feature after the fact it gives good arguement that WE DON'T LIKE TO READ DIRECTIONS. Instructions are under Help in WTLibray (F1)

It will work with any text that you put in the clipboard. SEE: Advanced Exercises #s 9 through 15.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

There is nothing new under the Sun, I have used this method to put all the scriptures in one place. It is a feature of the oldest WTLibrary that I have.... For all of us that I finding the feature after the fact it gives good arguement that WE DON'T LIKE TO READ DIRECTIONS.

give-that-man-a-cookie.png

10 hours ago, Jako said:

I found this out the other day and though it good to share with those who didn't know it.

Thanks for sharing! (tu) 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Old said:

There is nothing new under the Sun, I have used this method to put all the scriptures in one place. It is a feature of the oldest WTLibrary that I have. Note: if a scripture reference is broken at the end of a line in the outline or article, it will not register. For all of us that I finding the feature after the fact it gives good arguement that WE DON'T LIKE TO READ DIRECTIONS. Instructions are under Help in WTLibray (F1)

It will work with any text that you put in the clipboard. SEE: Advanced Exercises #s 9 through 15.

*** wtlib-help Getting Started ***
Exercise 14: How do I extract scriptures from text I placed on the Clipboard?
From any Windows program, select and copy to the Clipboard any text that contains valid scripture citations. To extract scriptures from the text now in the Clipboard, in Watchtower Library press Ctrl+Alt+C on the keyboard. The extracted scriptures will appear in Watchtower Library in the document area (4).

Good to know....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The brother who showed me this (and I did subsequently look it up in the Help also) was involved with the development of the WT Library right in the beginning.

He says there was also a shortcut to do the same to extract the actual references. But, it seems THAT one did not stand the test of time, as the shortcut he has in his documentation not longer works or appears in the Help.

Now that one would have been extra handy!

Yes, this is an excellent feature, especially when preparing public talks.  I like to print out the outline and the scriptures so I have all of them in front of me during my preparation.  Tried doing it manually with WOL - takes so long!

As a side point, I did hear on the grapevine that the public talk outlines will be made into jwpubs for JW Library.  So all scriptures and references will be a click away.

8 hours ago, Old said:

I need instructions to read the instructions. It is now under a magnet on the fridge door in my cave. :eek:

There are some instructions for the fridge to switch it on but... 

5 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

As a side point, I did hear on the grapevine that the public talk outlines will be made into jwpubs for JW Library.  So all scriptures and references will be a click away.

That will be awsome!

Did you also hear about an ETA?

7 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Yes, this is an excellent feature, especially when preparing public talks.  I like to print out the outline and the scriptures so I have all of them in front of me during my preparation.  Tried doing it manually with WOL - takes so long!

Great! 

Would be nice to make up your own.. I presume you can't edit jwpubs? 

9 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

If the talk outlines do come to JW Library, then you could add your talk notes to them using the study notes feature.  I still like a hard copy of notes with me when giving talks, although I'm getting better on just using the outline to remind me.

Thanks Jonathan

I don't use an electronic device. (Yet.. If i can do my own note with links to scriptures 'in the notes' I might go that route. As of now i use paper for my own outline and a separate  sheet for my scriptures.. I have trained myself to wait for others to look up the scriptures now :)

Regarding outlines.. good for you. it is a milestone when you can talk from an outline rather than typed out. Someone once advised me that when you know what you want to say (through thorough research) you can remind yourself with very little on the page. How you remind yourself is up to the individual.. I have seem some where they are little icons or doodles for points/illustrations/examples.  I didn't think it could be done but it was purely fear and self reliance. My only vice is to have the first line of the talk written down and the final sentences of the conclusion as they are important for me to get right.. esp the conclusion

extemporaneous talks are great.. you can listen easily and there is a flow to it all... but as the Benefit book warns.. be careful of timing :)

17 hours ago, Old said:

True dis. This was a favorite shortcut for the Watchtower Conductor back when WT Library had just come out in the early nineties. He could have all the scriptures printed out and have it next to the printed Watchtower.

8 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Did you hear anything about a time frame?

4 hours ago, leoperales said:

True dis. This was a favorite shortcut for the Watchtower Conductor back when WT Library had just come out in the early nineties. He could have all the scriptures printed out and have it next to the printed Watchtower.

Q-verse prior to that...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I loved Q-Verse...as to the outline, as an instructor at college for almost 30 years, I can tell you that one of the hardest things with an outline is precise timing.  It is easy to get on a roll and tell everything you know about a subject or sub-heading.  The older you are in the Truth, the more you want to say.