JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Congregation fish fry

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but in Australia fish prices are very high. Fresh fish is a luxury item for us as a family. I don't fancy frozen fish from Vietnam so I don't buy it.

I think we would have to have a congregation sausage fry.

i would love the cold slaw recipe Leslie it sounds different and I love different

I agree with Fiona I love fish and would eat it everyday but now we can only afford it at special occasions unless it is the cheap and nasty; frozen ;warm water variety that doesn't taste like fish but the real stuff fresh is like twice or three times the price of meat or chicken and we have some of the most plentiful and best seafood in the world yet it is all exported:depressed:

So what exactly is a fish fry is it like a B.b.q only fish?? do the brothers catch the fish and everyone brings a dish to accompany it??

totally on another subject but while I'm here what is an Afghan I googled it and couldn't quite understand whether it was the yarn called Afghan or was it a big blanket or was it a special type of stitch

sorry i am all over the place to day computer problems it takes about 2 min.to load onto another site then when you type it jumps all over the place so you have one sentence then another sentence from another paragraph and it takes ages to edit and retype mmm it sounds like me:offtopic:

Hi Cless,

An Afghan is a blanket that has been knitted or crocheted with yarn using many different stitches and patterns.

My husband calls the stitches 'moves'......He said "So when are you sisters getting together and learning some new crochet moves...."....lol....like were dancing ...learning some 'sweet moves'.

You can easily triple or quadruple this recipe to accompany a larger group. Just make it the night beore with it has time to marry all the flavors. I buy just a purple head of cabbage and a green cabbage and slice thinly while others buy the bags of slaw mix. Take a bunch of green onions and snip them into tiny pieces (I use kitchen schears or much easier and quicker to just hold all the onions at one time and snip them at the same time) I toast the slivered almons in a dry skillet to just bring out the natural oil--really just 2 or 3 minutes shaking the skilet all the time where they will not burn. I put the almonds in a baggie and add them right before I serve the slaw.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

2 tablespoons white sugar

1 (3 ounce) package chicken flavored ramen noodles, crushed, seasoning packet reserved

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Almonds--as much as you like

When I make a large amount---maybe enough for 80-100 people--I just buy the bag of dry Chinese noodles and mix my own dressing--but the Top Ramen is so inexpensive and easy to use. Also I add 2 T of peanut butter to the dressing mix and stir well until it breaks down and emulsifies with the oil and vinegar. Everyone seems to perfer the peanut butter in the dresssing--mor of an Asain flair to the taste. This is a very old recipe but so adaptable.

Enjoy your outting with th friends! You are making memories to carry us through!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

thanks leslie I remember making this recipe before and had completely forgotten about it........... it is sooooooooo delicious

There was this sister Rachael who made it fantastic........... I'm going to try yours with the peanut butter it sounds sooo yummy

100people wow how long would that take you to make ..........you must be a superwoman

thanks Nance keep movin movin

My mum knits and sews fantastically made my wedding dress and bridesmaids knits beautiful patterned

now she makes clothes for all her appliances and embroiderer's them which is cute

I am absolutely hopeless can't sew a button on straight

But I paint................. use to work in a gallery at one stage We are in the process of getting a new laptop when things have worked out I'll have to post some of my pictures.

Sometimes I make Lentil burgers. So cheap,

I use a 1 cup of red lentils. cooked til almost soft.

onion chopped

garlic.

korma curry paste.

grated carrot and chopped green schallots.

chopped parsley

kinda puree the lentils but to much then add all the other ingredients & also 1 egg. some bread crumbs for dipping in then combine all ingredients &

make sure not to wet. then fry

I once made these for a party when we were supper poor. I made them too look Like the meat patties. Everyone loved them. I didn't say one word. Lols

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

ThT sounds like one I will have to try soon Gabe! I really like veggie burgers so I will give this a go. Thanks for posting it.

I got on alot of good experience doing the Friday Night Suppers at our yacht club. Working with real professional chefs they showed me some good tips and skills. Still can not handle a knife though--it really isn't about good recipes like I use to think but more about techniques. Love the brainy guy on Food TV that explains the science behind the cooking and gives a little history as he goes along. My fab cooking show.

LeslieDean

onion chopped

garlic.

korma curry paste.

chopped parsley

kinda puree the lentils but to much then add all the other ingredients & also 1 egg. some bread crumbs for dipping in then combine all ingredients &

I once made these for a party when we were supper poor. I made them too look Like the meat patties. Everyone loved them. I didn't say one word. Lols

I am going to try these... they sound very good!!

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Gabe,

Do you add the egg to the mixture or dip in egg and breadcrumbs and fry? and how much curry paste would you use?

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

• 2 weeks later...

We're having a congregation fish fry this coming weekend, and I don't know what to put together. I'd like something that's not expensive as I don't get paid till the 8th. I was thinking lasagna is pretty easy. Any other suggestions Thanks angela

If it's a fish fry why not stick with fish, cole slaw french f

ries etc

• 1 month later...

Sister Leslie, you mentioned Cabbage?  I just had a delicious dish at a gathering this past Sunday, a sister made a big container full of fish (it had no bones in it) with very small pieces of sliced cabbage in it. It also had curry in it.  But the mild kind.  Not spicy.  It was out of this world.  Do you know what they call this dish?  I did email the sister, she has yet to get back to me about the dish.  I put Mexican Cream Sauce on top of it, that made the sauce and the curry go well together.  The fish just melted in your mouth and so did the cabbage.   Do you or anyone else in here know what this dish is called? 

Lisa,

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for

ingredients

1 small green cabbage, coarse outer leaves removed

1 cup water

1 teaspoon salt, optional

1 small green or red bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips or chopped

1 pound fresh or frozen fish fillets (snapper, cod and flounder are good choices)

2 teaspoons curry powder

1/4 teaspoon onion salt (optional)

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon cooking oil

directions

Cut cabbage lengthwise into halves; remove core. Chop, slice or shred uniformly. (Pieces should not be more than 1 inch wide for quick cooking.) Place in colander and rinse with cold water.

In large shallow pot, bring water and salt to boil; stir in cabbage and bell pepper. Cover and steam 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove skin and any bones from fish. In small bowl, combine curry powder, onion salt and pepper; rub on both sides of fish. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet; add fillets and panfry about 2 minutes on each side to brown. Using wide spatula, remove fillets from skillet and place on top of cabbage. Cover and steam until fish is cooked through and flakes when tested with tip of knife, about 10 minutes.

LeslieDean

Hi Leslie, thank you, it sounds like its the dish, but not really sure.  I just found out that the sister and her hubby and kids all left for the D.R.   They should be back in 2 months.  This dish, also had tiny cut up pickles in it, like a relish.  But it did have cabbage sliced in tiny pieces.  I have no idea what kind of fish it was they put in it, it was very tender, it melted in my mouth.  I never had a dish that good before.  Your recepie sounds excellent too.  The sauce with the curry was a creamy beige color.  Everything was ummmmmm...tasty!     One thing I learned being one of Jehovah's people, we do like to eat!   And I think of all the delicious foods we'll have in the paradise.  Am looking forward in who ever made that old fashion soft custard ice cream, that you used to buy at places like Hutzler's, or Hoshol Kohn, or the 5 & Dime stores like Woolsworth.  That was the best Ice cream I ever ate.  It had a peculiar taste to it, not like the dairy queen (EWE), or Twin Kiss (YUMMY), but not exactlly like it.   I know it had eggs in it, but I have never found it again.  The last taste I recall was in the late 70's.   So, I'll have to wait for some resurrected person who made that kind of ice cream (soft) to come back.    I love dishes, and some of you on here have some real tasty ones!!! Thank you again for sharing and giving me a tip.  It might just be that your will match theirs, but for now I will wait till they come back.  

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/4/2013 at 7:24 AM, surfergirl said:

onion chopped

garlic.

korma curry paste.

chopped parsley

Gabe,

This morning, I suddenly had a major craving but, I couldn't figure out what it the craving was for.  After a moment, it came to me - the lentil burgers I saw on JWTalk a couple of days ago.  LOL - a lentil burger craving! :idea:  It was the combination of ingredients that got me.

They turned out great, so delicious!  Seriously, these will be a new staple "go to" food.  I love the fact that they have lot's of protein and, they were packed with flavor.  The only thing I added was a pat of butter once they came out of the frying pan, all browned and crispy.  Thank you!

I plan on trying Leslie's recipe another day.

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances.