JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Documentary On Jehovah's Witnesses In Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3991 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I posted this in the waiting room last week but I thought I would post it here in the new Forum. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Only the friends in Australia will be able to watch it. I have noticed that there are a few of us.

On the ABC last week there was a 30 minute documentary called "Who's Been Sleeping in My House?". It was very interesting. It was all about a house in South Australia that was used by Jehovah's Witnesses during World War II as a boarding house. It goes through a little bit of how we were persecuted during the war. The dragon certainly grew wrathful. 

I thought it tied in well with our Watchtower study for this week. Nothing can deter God's people from staying within Jehovah's valley of protection. I am sure that you will enjoy it very much. It will expire in 9 days. You will find the link below. 

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/32562 

Hope you enjoy!  

Who's Been Sleeping In My House? - Series 2, Episode 06 - Baroona Series Synopsis

In series two of Who's Been Sleeping In My House? archaeologist and host Adam Ford ventures into homes across Australia to reveal the hidden stories and histories of the people who once lived in them.

Episode Synopsis

Episode 06 - Baroona
Adam Ford investigates the extraordinary story of an alleged Nazi radio station hidden in the roof of a family home.

Professor of Law Jennifer Mckay and her daughter Monica invite Adam into their unique Edwardian mansion situated in the leafy Adelaide suburb of St Peters. They want Adam to investigate the rumour that a web of mysterious wires found in their attic was once a part of a clandestine radio station that was used to track and broadcast the movements of Allied ships during the Second World War. The story takes an unusual turn as Adam unearths a link to a group of Jehovah's Witnesses, and a compelling story about a battle for religious freedom emerges. 

Adam is also asked to look into the life of wealthy wool trader R. J. Coombs, the original builder of the mansion. Adam discovers why the enormous wealth accumulated by Coombs disappeared during the Depression and the tragic events that brought his family to financial ruin.

For those outside Australia, this link also contains information regarding what occurred during the period that the episode was referring to, specifically the section referring to radio station 5KA which the Government suspected of relaying information to German ships off the coast of Australia:

http://www.flinders.edu.au/sabs/fjhp-files/2008/JaynePersian2008.pdf

Edited by Fee-bee

Fiona, thank you so much for posting that article.

The PDF link in particular was very interesting as it discusses all the legal and political maneuverings that took place. It shows how the prime minister at the time was strongly influenced by the catholic hierarchy and was motivated by his opposition to his political foe the Attorney General who was endeavouring to uphold the constitution regarding our right to religious freedom.

I loved the bit about the 'bungled' announcement of the ban on the witnesses. I could almost see Jehovah's hand in that.

I would've loved to have seen the doco, but this was the next best thing.

Thanks again.

Thank you Fiona for posting that document. It was very interesting. A part of the history of Jehovah's people in Australia that I didn't know very much about. I was amazed that it went all the way up to the Prime Minister Robert Menzies. How he played a personal part in the ban and the influence the churches had on him at the time. The ban didn't last long but despite that ban our numbers doubled. Very heart warming and encouraging. There are certainly more with us than there are with them. Something to keep in mind for the future.