JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What Are You Listening To Right Now....?

I like country Music its so fresh.

I don't know who sings it. I gonna want you if I want to, No don't tell me what to do. I'm the boss of this broken Heart.

There words. 

Keith Urban.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Designing Woman, the old eighties sit com. And cleaning house.

I adore Designing Women!  All I have to do is think of Anthony doing his hyenna laugh and talking about the "big house" where he did his "unfortunate incarceration" and I go into fits and giggles...Do you remember the one where they went on vacation and the men ended up in a barroom brawl?  One of my favorites!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have found the Best new Radio Station In My area.

Hot Country. 

Awesome Music.. Its totaly fresh.@

@ Gabe,

I wish you could come Friday night and help me.  I will be teaching a couple of different line dances to our patrons before the band starts.  The first is just the basic grapevine done to Boot Scootin Boogie  and the The Watermelon Crawl--they are alot of fun to teach and to do.  We are mostly country and western plus Blues.  Occassionaly we have had rock and roll but it brings people that really make me tired and can be difficult to deal with.

I wear my cowboy boots --knee high and pointed toes so they don't last too long before I take them off and just dance in my socks.  Check out Jake Owens singing Tulsa Time, Swinging, and I Love Women on youtube!  Then Trace Adkins doing Women love Country Boys--I usually don't-- but I'll make an exception with these two!  Then there is always Blake Shelton--from The Voice.  So many of the top country and western singers (Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Reba McIntire, Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Don Williams, Vince Gill all stem from around here)  so many more but these are who come to mind right now.  We have so much local talent that is just awesome!

Edited by LeslieDean

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I don't know why (okay, maybe I do... I love different cultures and I want to learn Mandarin!), but I've been listening to a lot of Chinese music these days. People nowadays go on and on about k-pop and j-pop all, and some of those songs are good (I do have one J-pop singer I like a lot, her name is AI), but most of them are not my thing. But a few C-pop artists/songs I've discovered randomly I really like. Mostly, I like this Taiwanese singer named Jay Chou (in the US, he's been in the movie the Green Hornet). His songs fuse traditional Chinese music and modern music genres like rock, R&B, pop, hip-hop, etc. Plus he can rap and sing good falsetto. So far, one of the songs I like of his a lot is called Listen to Mother's Words.

The lyrics are really great... no matter where you live, I think they should apply to everyone who still has their mother around :) I especially like: "You should listen to your mother's words, you can start dating later..."

I also really like this song too, it has the traditional feel I was talking about:

Here's a more traditional version sang by a Chinese actress:

http://youtu.be/IlkxPxgnnIs

And then there's Jane Zhang. She is just... amazing! She's better than most pop singers in the US, not to mention most other C-pop singers. She was actually on an episode of Oprah before it went off the air, called "The World's Got Talent". You can find it on Youtube. I have yet to listen to more of her original songs, but I really like her covers on the Chinese talent show she won third place on called "Super Voice Girl." I find it amazing she could sing in not only English perfectly, but also in Spanish...

The second one you posted, WOW! That story is so sad - reincarnation is a tough thing to believe - especially if you are constantly in a cycle of loss like that.

I am so glad we have the truth.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

The second one you posted, WOW! That story is so sad - reincarnation is a tough thing to believe - especially if you are constantly in a cycle of loss like that.

I am so glad we have the truth.

Yeah, that is so true. I honestly didn't realize the plot of the music video until you brought it up, haha. Usually I just pay attention to the song and the translation of the lyrics. 

Oh, also I goofed up on the last video... I meant to embed that one instead of the 3rd video, and the link starts in the playlist it's on on my channel and from a certain point and not from the beginning... sigh. I'm not sure how to edit posts on here yet, so here's the better, neutral link:

And in a language NOT her own - amazing!!

I just wish I could talk in a second language better and here she is singing.  

Chinese and Vietnamese are similar in that they are tonal languages - very hard to learn! But then - so is English - since we have no fixed rules. She is doing great!

Thanks for the link.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Guest Vegsushi

I don't really get to listen to anything interesting these days, I work from home and I don't have a TV so I listen to 'London's biggest conversation' LBC some pretty good topics are discussed. Although when a religion debate kicks off it's quite hard to not want to call them up :P

This is just a further display of my interest in Asian culture, but... I'm currently listening to one of my favorite songs ever:

I posted the full Soul Train clip because I really like their little chat with Don Cornelius at the end. And yes I know what Soul Train is, mainly because my parents are older so I know the music and I'm usually entranced by the reruns (usually because of the clothes! xD). One of my friends (who's actually younger than me by 3 years) knows it too because her dad grew up in the 70's and watches reruns! This particular clip is from 1981, so not quite 70's, but just getting over them...

But anyway... I could gush about this song forever. I just love the blend of R&B and traditional Japanese music, Janice-Marie's singing, the lyrics, the instrumental, everything! I love how Hazel Payne plays the koto in the song :) It's the Japanese version of the Chinese zither (Guzheng) that you can hear in the songs I mentioned in my last post. Also, the dance Janice does in this clip and the ones on youtube from the other shows she did it on when they were lip-syncing to the song on those old music shows went really well with the song, and I wish they had a music video for it because the dance and the kimonos and everything would've went perfectly with the song! Okay... i'll stop gushing...

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeling down at the moment and I find that Mahler symphonies cheer me up, so over the last few days my wife and I have listened to the first three symphonies:

Symphony #1 "Titan"  (Berlin Phil / Haitink)  This really makes the hairs on my neck stand up!

Symphony #2 "Resurrection"  (Vienna Phil / Rattle)  So uplifting (no pun intended).

Symphony #3 "A Summer Noon's Dream"  (Berlin Phil / Haitink)  The final movement "What love tells me" is so moving.

Last night was the meeting so tonight will be:

Symphony #4  (Vienna Phil / Maazel)  Kathleen Battle's soprano voice never fails to move me in the finale.