JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Isilo - Tutorial

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3330 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We need to talk about the "Search feature. Personally, I find the search feature EXTREMELY lacking in iSilo, but it does have its uses.

You can't really use it to find a topic you are looking for in the WTLibrary - the index is a better choice for that or the CD on a PC or even the wol.jw.org site. But here is where I find it comes in handy.

Earlier a sister mentioned something about an article in a June 2012 magazine dealing with Daniel 2:44. So I went to VOL (Volumes) and found the Watchtower and clicked it.

post-272-0-12423300-1370970788_thumb.png

Then I picked the article I imagined her comment came from.

post-272-0-80201300-1370970805_thumb.png

But now I am at the TOP or beginning of the article. I could scroll through it using my handy dandy volume button scroll, but I am in a hurry and don't want to miss the point. I know she mentioned Daniel 2:44 - but I don't know if they abbreviated Daniel here and don't really want to search for "dan" as - who knows the word danger or even Daniel is probably used a LOT here. However, if I search for 44 - I might quickly find the paragraph she was talking about. And here is where the search feature comes in handy - looking in ONE article for a certain word or verse.

So I click on the little magnifying glass at the bottom (and if it isn't there - just click in that area and it will unhide). Then I type in 44 in the search box and make sure my options are set for entire document and down.

post-272-0-90465900-1370970833_thumb.png

And then click "FIND" - low and behold there is the paragraph she mentioned and 44 is highlighted:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Now, if it wasn't in the first place I was taken to (as in this instance), I would just click the magnifying glass with the + in it - to go to the next occurrence of "44" and so on until I did find it.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I also think the search function is very lacking... But I thought the option entire document was for the entire library! So entire document applies to any single book or magazine? What about the Bible?

Edited by trottigy

Yes, you are right about "entire document " that is - in this case - the entire library / file. The trouble is the order all the individual pages are saved in. This makes it hard to search the entire doc / library with iSilo.

Soon .....

It may be something real simple but I can't find it.... How do I select text?

I don't know if it's the same on every device, but this is how it works for me. Most of the time anyway:

You hold your finger down approximately where you want the highlight to start. A circle will appear. Keep holding your finger until a black line shows up. Now still keep the finger down, but move it so that the black line is over exactly the first letter of what you want to highlight. Then let go. Then do the same thing for the last letter of what you want to highlight. Then it should be highlighted.

I don't know if it's the same on every device, but this is how it works for me. Most of the time anyway:

You hold your finger down approximately where you want the highlight to start. A circle will appear. Keep holding your finger until a black line shows up. Now still keep the finger down, but move it so that the black line is over exactly the first letter of what you want to highlight. Then let go. Then do the same thing for the last letter of what you want to highlight. Then it should be highlighted.

Thaks Jasmine. I managed to copy some text but, don't know why, most of the times the circle appears but the cursor don't... In the pc version there is an optin to go to select mode but on mobile there isn't unfortunately...

Thaks Jasmine. I managed to copy some text but, don't know why, most of the times the circle appears but the cursor don't... In the pc version there is an optin to go to select mode but on mobile there isn't unfortunately...

I know. It's very annoying and frustrating.

I have noticed - if you move your finger AT ALL while waiting for the line to appear - it won't. You have to keep the finger really still till it appears.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

I have to go through a couple more steps to complete the highlight on my Transformer Prime. When the text is selected, a box pops up with two choices: copy or annotate. To highlight, choose "annotate," then close the keyboard and hit the "Back" button. Has anyone found a quicker way?

I have to go through a couple more steps to complete the highlight on my Transformer Prime. When the text is selected, a box pops up with two choices: copy or annotate. To highlight, choose "annotate," then close the keyboard and hit the "Back" button. Has anyone found a quicker way?

No, that is the quickest way. It does give you color options for highlighting. I always have a nice colorful magazine for Sunday  :D

Soon .....

Yes, and a box for typing notes. I can write my answers out in my own words and it might help me comment more. Actually, I'm planning to use the epub files with Aldiko Premium (about $4 on Google Play) for everything I possibly can. It has a WONDERFUL and easy-to-use highlight and annotate feature. I needed the WTL downloaded to use when I'm without Wi-Fi, which is pretty much whenever I'm not home or at a friend's house. Even at the KH, my tablet and my phone only pick up a Wi-Fi signal in certain spots. (Some of the elders frown at people sitting on the literature counter. Others say, "Is there a good signal there? Don't wrinkle those magazines.") Isn't it amazing how dependent we've become on having the entire WTL at our disposal when on a study or return visit? It's like the time is too short to be going home and looking something up. They need to know NOW! :cool:  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thanx, fellas. you've helped me realize that I m far too challenged, electronically speaking, to acquire a tablet of any kind. will just continue on my merry way, with this slower than molasses in January, PC. but th hype on the kindle fire sure was appealing.  lol

Now you have these files. Did you save them some place you will remember?? Do you know how? If you need help installing these files or even finding them - meekspace.com is THE place to go for help. GET AN ACCOUNT!!!

They have VERY talented volunteers that are willing to help. And if they can get SurferGirl up and running - they can help ANYONE  :lol1:  (Love ya girl  :wub:  )

So, now you have saved them in a place you can remember and find - open them. On a mobile device there is one way to access them and on a PC the other.

PC first - just open like you would any other program and browse to the folder you saved them in and click on the one with FULL in the name:

attachicon.gifIsilo1.jpg

Now Mobile - across the top are 5 tabs - recent / new / cat / faves / device. I only have used recent & device. You will need to use device the first time. Find those 2 files and then click on the one with FULL in the name (the good news is - it will show in recent from then on - so I won't have to "find" it each time. Looks like this:

attachicon.gifIsilo1a.jpg[/

quote]

I only just noticed this thread. Yes Meekspace is awesome. The Brothers are very kind and helpful.

It took a little to sink in.

Now you have these files. Did you save them some place you will remember?? Do you know how? If you need help installing these files or even finding them - meekspace.com is THE place to go for help. GET AN ACCOUNT!!!

They have VERY talented volunteers that are willing to help. And if they can get SurferGirl up and running - they can help ANYONE  :lol1:  (Love ya girl  :wub:  )

So, now you have saved them in a place you can remember and find - open them. On a mobile device there is one way to access them and on a PC the other.

PC first - just open like you would any other program and browse to the folder you saved them in and click on the one with FULL in the name:

I agree the Brothers at Meekspace are very kind and helpful. Patient.

It took some time to let how to set this up but worth it.

Jerry your checky bro.

attachicon.gifIsilo1.jpg

Now Mobile - across the top are 5 tabs - recent / new / cat / faves / device. I only have used recent & device. You will need to use device the first time. Find those 2 files and then click on the one with FULL in the name (the good news is - it will show in recent from then on - so I won't have to "find" it each time. Looks like this:

attachicon.gifIsilo1a.jpg

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 1 year later...

Lets do this with screen captures from an iPad

In the iSilo program in your list of files - there are 3 dots on the top right of the screen that allows you to download files.

post-272-0-80146100-1414083107_thumb.jpg

If you click Download you have 2 options a URL or your own dropbox that can be access by installing drop box on your device and logging into your drop box account. Then when you click drop box here - you only need to give iSilo the permissions to access that account.

post-272-0-76597200-1414083121_thumb.jpg

Once accessed a list of all your files in your dropbox account shows. Now, I like using this method as it was one of the few simple ways to get files into iSilo on an iPad and it allows sharing these files between multiple devices

Here is a listing of files I have for sharing

post-272-0-35920500-1414083138_thumb.jpg

Select the file you want and then another box opens asking where to save them. On an iPad I save them to the iSilo folder listed last.

post-272-0-19112400-1414083153_thumb.jpg

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Now before we get too far. How to access this same "Download" option on a android devices. Press the menu button or if you are using KitKat press and hold the left menu button and it should look like this. Then the rest is the same as above.

post-272-0-44686700-1414083669_thumb.png

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Typically after DL'ing the file to your device you are asked if you want to open it. Say YES!

Now it will show in your recent files and you are good to go!

Soon .....