JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

El Niño Strengthening = Abnormal Winters for North America

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3101 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

“This baby is too big to fail,” said NASA climatologist Bill Patzert. “Over North America, this winter will definitely not be normal.  However, the climatic events of the past decade make ‘normal’ difficult to define."

el-nino-map-2015-1997-e1444832053697.jpg

http://earthsky.org/earth/el-nino-strengthening

We haven't had a 'normal' winter for decades.  

Guess they mean 'abnormally abnormal', huh. :huh: 

Anything will be an improvement over the past two

'Trapped in a polar vortex' winters with weeks and months

of 40 below zero weather, that we've been experiencing here,

in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. :ph34r: 

Maybe they really WILL be golfing in Minnesota? :blink: 

Maybe I should keep my lawnmower right next to our snowblower? ^_^ 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Both Patzert and NOAA forecasters believe the southern tier of North America, particularly southern California, is likely to see a cooler and wetter than normal winter, while the northern tier could be warmer and drier. But the sample of El Niños in the meteorological record are still too few and other elements of our changing climate are too new to say with certainty what the winter will bring.

Today is October 15th and it was 82 degrees. REALLY! So hot I couldn't be in the yard, the sun was baking me. And this is the Pacific NW, known for temperate climate! Saw the weather report for whole pacific coast, it's from 80-100! Even in areas like ours, on the ocean! Wonder what tomorrow brings. I hafta make cheese and beer, hope it's not too hot!

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

We have whales in our Columbia River, it separates Oregon from Washington. Have had people stopping along the rock wall along the river on the WA side to watch them and causing all sorts of traffic issues! But there's whales out there, a lot of them. The fishing has been bad, the salmon are dying because we haven't had significant rain in months and the water is too warm for them. Not to mention the sharks coming up our way. http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/09/shark_lurking_off_coast_near_s.html

We have a shallow waterway in front of our house, it not affected by tide but stays full of water, until this year. It's completely empty and can see the bed with all the cracked mud. Weird, I haven't seen it like that. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Winter of 93-94 saw temps below zero F for 2 months in the Parry Sound, ON ( Georgian Bay area ). Twaz building a house. Had plastic bottle of water on one end of wood burning range and it froze. Had fire going in firebox other end, at same time.

Today we have 1st snow fall advisary of season ( Weather Statement ) for tonight and weekend with snow squalls with up to 6 inches in some areas.

Winter is coming too soon :ph34r::depressed::shutup:(td)

<<4:45 AM EDT Friday 16 October 2015
Snow squall watch in effect for:

• London - Parkhill - Eastern Middlesex County
  • Strathroy - Komoka - Western Middlesex County

Snow squalls may develop late tonight and could continue through Saturday. Local snowfall accumulations could reach 15 cm by Saturday afternoon. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities could be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow, and snow could quickly accumulate.

For areas immediately along the lakeshore, accumulations should be less as temperatures there will be a few degrees warmer due to the relatively warm water of Lake Huron.

Snow squall warnings may be required as the development and placement of the snow squalls becomes more certain.

Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight.>>

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I was worried about Southern California having mud slides this winter, it's already started. One of the main sections between Northern Calif and Southern Calif was flooded the other day.

http://abc30.com/traffic/grapevine-reopened-following-mudslides/1037126/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I would love to live in Oregon because I am not a fan of hot/warm weather so you can imagine how happy I was to find out Northern California will have a warmer winter this year.

Come on up, have another family here from Santa Rosa.

Santa Rosa was my favorite place, and then it growled!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Come on up, have another family here from Santa Rosa.

Santa Rosa was my favorite place, and then it growled!

Growed , O K, maybe IPad will accept grew. No sense of humor.

Thanks Steve Jobs!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.