JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Sell Their Longest-Held Property in Historic Brooklyn Heights

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2876 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

You know what I've come to appreciate about us? Is that we are not overly-attached to  material things. I mean, these properties contain our history, and are significant no doubt. But the Slave is setting an example for us that material things should not take priority.

Many, or better most, religions would hold on to their historical buildings even to their own detriment. We are more than willing to move on IF THE NEED ARISES. When this old world is gone, we will have to willing to leave our things behind.

The Slave is leading by example in this regard.

Edited by Bob

Bob,

I understand what you mean and I agree, but for some who have spent years and perhaps decades serving in Brooklyn, these aren't just buildings, but their home, where they lived and were members of a congregation in the city. Being uprooted and leaving it all behind, might be exciting to a degree, but sad at the same time. Starting over in a new place and the changes it brings, is never easy. For older ones who made Bethel their life's work and the memories they have, associated with the world headquarters in Brooklyn, it can be stressful and disconcerting. To say it holds a special place in their hearts, is an understatement.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

4 hours ago, minister159 said:

Bob,

I understand what you mean and I agree, but for some who have spent years and perhaps decades serving in Brooklyn, these aren't just buildings, but their home, where they lived and were members of a congregation in the city. Being uprooted and leaving it all behind, might be exciting to a degree, but sad at the same time. Starting over in a new place and the changes it brings, is never easy. For older ones who made Bethel their life's work and the memories they have, associated with the world headquarters in Brooklyn, it can be stressful and disconcerting. To say it holds a special place in their hearts, is an understatement.

I've never served a Bethel so I cannot and will never understand the depth of the attachment our brothers and sisters had, but I guess that in the future when the benefits of moving are realized, they may have that to take comfort in.

But I just wanted to make the point that the GB just does 'preach' about how we should view material things, they act on it too. They've simplified when needed (and are doing that now in fact), and make the needed changes.

But your point is well received, and thank you for reminding me of that part!

8 hours ago, minister159 said:

Bob,

This is nicely addressed here in this Special program   ...   http://tv.jw.org/#en/video/VODProgramsEvents/pub-jwbrd_201605_5_VIDEO   ...  helping Everyone to see that it is Now time to move on!

Edited by timpin