JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

‘Petya’ shuts down chocolate factory as ransomware reaches Australia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2464 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A chocolate factory in Tasmania, Australia has become the first in the Southern Hemisphere to suffer from the ongoing ransomware attack that has already compromised computer systems around the globe. As a result, the factory has halted production.

The Cadbury chocolate factory located in the city of Claremont became one of the latest additions to the list of the victims claimed by ‘Petya,’ a ransomware similar to its notorious predecessor, WannaCry.

Computers at the factory, which makes about 50,000 tonnes of chocolate a year, mostly for sale in Australia, went out of operation at around 9.30pm local time on Tuesday, and started to display a message from hackers with instructions on how to “purchase the decryption key.”

https://www.rt.com/news/394330-chocolate-ransomware-attack-factory-australia/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

No chocolate for you! :lol1:The end is nigh....:lol2:

5953389ec3618855178b457b.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

A hack against Cadburys? Have they no shame?! If you get stuck for some Greg, I'm sure that I could send some over... though you might just end up with the wrappers!

Hmmm, that's got me thinking about Chrunchie, Dairy Milk and maybe a Twirl.... :)

It's bigger on the inside!

Kidding aside, maybe it will have a positive affect on the child labor cocoa farms around the world...just trying to see the bright side..:)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

It has been determined that it's a "wiper", not a ransomware. This means the perpetrators had no intention of restoring the infected computers, but wipe them entirely.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/28/15887496/petya-virus-not-actually-ransomware-analysis-shows

(The Verge is an American technology news and media network operated by Vox Media.)

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 hours ago, Woodland said:

Oh dear I could see how this would be a tragedy.  Seriously it must be the bane of a business' life to have this sort of threat to cope with in this day and age.

We will really be noticing it when infrastructure and banks are hit. Imagine if they can get into the water supply system, for instance? Or ATMs went offline? Or traffic signals? I know this affected Chernobyl yesterday, and they had to monitor manually.

43 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

We will really be noticing it when infrastructure and banks are hit. Imagine if they can get into the water supply system, for instance? Or ATMs went offline? Or traffic signals? I know this affected Chernobyl yesterday, and they had to monitor manually.

They already can. If you want to see how far this world already already got, then watch the documentary Zero Days. It talks about the biggest virus created and kept secret by US and Israël. Because several parties saw the benefits of the power it could give them, they tweaked the virus and that had brought it to daylight. Then Russia got their hands on the virus and rebuild their own version.

The virus infiltrated in the nuclear power plant of Iran and blow it up. gave the US compleet control of cameras, traffic lights etc in Iran. Nobody knew it was the virus that had taken over compleet control. And the virus can be remote activated.

Now the US made a better version of that virus that is only a few kb of size. Experts (kaspersky, symantec) think that this virus has already infiltrated power plants, water supply systems etc. And that Russia has also created a virus that is already infiltrated in systems on hostile territory. (US)

These virusses are able to bring systems down that can result in thousands of deaths. If there is no clean water for days or weeks in cities.

The documentary gives a good view of what happens behind the curtains. It's to much to write all in here. Watch Zero Days of you're interested.

Edited by skipdaflip

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

This is why these places must keep their systems up to date and stop taking a cavalier approach to technology. You'd think these companies might have learnt from the first one.  What do they think -  if they do actually think -that it won't happen again? Or, it won't happen to us?  :idea:  Why not employ people within the company to manage their systems instead of outsourcing it and relying on one company that manages who knows how many networks from who knows where ... if they even do that!!!!!

Sorry - rant over.  Stepping off soapbox now!! :lol:

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

GOOD NEWS!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/cadburys-tasmanian-factory-returns-to-normal-after-cyber-attack/8663234

Full chocolate production could be restored at Hobart's Cadbury factory by Friday afternoon, following a cyber attack which halted production on Tuesday night.

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

GOOD NEWS!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/cadburys-tasmanian-factory-returns-to-normal-after-cyber-attack/8663234

Full chocolate production could be restored at Hobart's Cadbury factory by Friday afternoon, following a cyber attack which halted production on Tuesday night.

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

OK..Ok ...calm down everybody :lol2:... if the result of the "attack" is half price chocolate then is not bad LOL :lol1:

Today at the supermarket 1/2 price sale.

20170629_185226 (2).jpg

I feel better now!!!  (:P)  Ooops!! Sorry, wrong ad!!  :lol2:  

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.