JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

On 2/20/2018 at 8:13 PM, Bjern said:

Well it has already gone up again...Now we have 942 languages. B)

Also, JW Broadcasting is now in 224 languages, and Watchtower Online Library is now in 529 languages.

JW.org at 952 languages now.

JW Broadcasting is now in 241 languages, and the Watchtower Online Library jumped all the way up to 561.

44 minutes ago, a3a27988 said:

Didn’t the society says that there was 2800 languages in the world.?  But if you Google it it comes up to 6000 languages.

Do you have a source for that 2,800 count? I'm not aware of that one, but would be interested in learning about it.

It's probably quite difficult to find the exact number of languages. Also, different counts would include or exclude different categories of language, like constructed languages, dialects of the same main language, pidgins, creoles and mixed languages, as well as natural sign languages...Including all those categories of languages, apparently there are a little over 7,000 languages world-wide.

Ethnologue.com states that there are now 7,097 languages (possibly two languages died off since the first count, being that many languages are spoken by only a few, or even just one person) : https://www.ethnologue.com/guides/how-many-languages

15 hours ago, Bjern said:

Do you have a source for that 2,800 count? I'm not aware of that one, but would be interested in learning about it.

I believe the citation is referring to the number of languages in which the Bible is translated.  Here is a slightly newer reference (from 2017)

*** w17 September p. 19 par. 4 “The Word of Our God Endures Forever” ***
Thankfully, the Bible or portions of it have now been translated into nearly 3,000 languages

I did a search with the 2800 but I didn’t find anything I must’ve been mistaken but  nearly  3000 is pretty close. To be on the safe side I think I will just say there are  thousands of languages.

Edited by a3a27988

1 hour ago, a3a27988 said:

I did a search with the 2800 but I didn’t find anything I must’ve been mistaken but  nearly  3000 is pretty close. To be on the safe side I think I will just say there are  thousands of languages.

Here are a couple of references:

2017 = 3312 languages

The Bible has been translated into many languages from the biblical languages of HebrewAramaic and Greek. As of October 2017 the full Bible has been translated into 670 languages, the New Testament alone into 1521 languages and Bible portions or stories into 1121 other languages. Thus at least some portion of the Bible has been translated into 3,312 languages. (wycliffe.net/statistics)

2915 = 2932 languages

According to Ethnologue, there are currently 6909 living languages in the world. At least one book of Scripture has been translated for 2932 of these languages. The New Testament is available in 1,333 languages, with portions in 1045. The complete Bible has been translated into 553 languages. (biblica.com/resources/bible-faq)

6 minutes ago, jwhess said:

2017 = 3312 languages

The Bible has been translated into many languages from the biblical languages of HebrewAramaic and Greek. As of October 2017 the full Bible has been translated into 670 languages, the New Testament alone into 1521 languages and Bible portions or stories into 1121 other languages. Thus at least some portion of the Bible has been translated into 3,312 languages. (wycliffe.net/statistics)

2915 = 2932 languages

According to Ethnologue, there are currently 6909 living languages in the world. At least one book of Scripture has been translated for 2932 of these languages. The New Testament is available in 1,333 languages, with portions in 1045. The complete Bible has been translated into 553 languages. (biblica.com/resources/bible-faq)

John, 

Thank you for the info you researched and shared.  Do they count dialects of same main language as well and call it languages? If not, then with dialects it is much more than 3312?:shrugs:

13 minutes ago, Guri said:

Thank you for the info you researched and shared.  Do they count dialects of same main language as well and call it languages? If not, then with dialects it is much more than 3312?:shrugs:

I am sure there is a difference of view in what is a "dialect" versus what is an "obscure" tongue and so on.  I noted that the 2017 statistic included languages that had only partial translations of the New Testament.  Maybe just one book or something like that.  I would guess that the number for whole Bibles and Greek Scriptures added together will be close to 3000 languages, pidgins, creoles, dialects and sign.

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

I am sure there is a difference of view in what is a "dialect" versus what is an "obscure" tongue and so on.  I noted that the 2017 statistic included languages that had only partial translations of the New Testament.  Maybe just one book or something like that.  I would guess that the number for whole Bibles and Greek Scriptures added together will be close to 3000 languages, pidgins, creoles, dialects and sign.

Does that include the LOLCat Bible and Klingon language?

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

6 hours ago, jwhess said:

2017 = 3312 languages

2915 = 2932 languages

Very nice! Wish I could update my OP, which had the stats for 2016:

On 7/11/2017 at 8:36 AM, Bjern said:

~ In 2016 the entire Bible had been translated into 636 languages, and the complete New Testament into 1,442 languages, and is currently in the process of being translated into many more languages.

Maybe a mod could update it for me to 2017's stats of 670 languages for the full Bible and 1,521 languages for the NT?

6 hours ago, Guri said:

John, 

Perhaps they do, as JW.org counts dialects among how many languages the website is translated into. The total amount of translations of the Bible likely also would count some "dead" languages, such as Latin and Koine Greek.

3 hours ago, digital_dreamer said:

Does that include the LOLCat Bible and Klingon language?

Actually they might count Klingon after all, as Klingon is an actual language construct ~ which at least in part the Bible has been translated into. LOLCat is more of a code however. 😉

Edited by Bjern

At this rate, we should be at the 1000 language mark pretty soon.

Every heard of the Pareto Principle @Bjern?

It's also called the 80/20 rule. I really wonder of maybe 80% of the people speak 20% of the languages. It'd be interesting to look into. if that's the case, then we're getting close to reaching 80% of the native speakers haha.

Translation is such a huge ongoing thing in Jehovah's organization. It's so loving that people devote so much time and brain power to it.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

It's always noted on the Online Library. See at the bottom?

Capture.JPG

Thanks. I never noticed that.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

11 hours ago, Katty said:

At this rate, we should be at the 1000 language mark pretty soon.

Every heard of the Pareto Principle @Bjern?

It's also called the 80/20 rule. I really wonder of maybe 80% of the people speak 20% of the languages. It'd be interesting to look into. if that's the case, then we're getting close to reaching 80% of the native speakers haha.

Translation is such a huge ongoing thing in Jehovah's organization. It's so loving that people devote so much time and brain power to it.

I don't think I have heard of that principle, so I better look it up...

80/20 sounds about right with languages. Only a small number of languages are spoken by the vast majority of people.

56 minutes ago, Bjern said:

I don't think I have heard of that principle, so I better look it up...

80/20 sounds about right with languages. Only a small number of languages are spoken by the vast majority of people.

I missed this comment 😮. yeah it's really interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, Brother Jack said:

How are you guys figuring out which language is new?

This is how I figure it out.

In the morning I check jw.org to see what's new and check the language tab.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, Brother Jack said:

How did you find out that jw.org has reached 900 languages. I didn't see a source for this. 

JWorg-lang.JPG.a49220076fd61a5bf2d3462998444cb0.JPG

(copied from post 8. thanks to Tortuga)

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Hope said:

It's always noted on the Online Library. See at the bottom?

But not on the main website. So........

After copying, pasting and comparing the names of the languages on a excel sheet with a list from the time before. This Idea came from: And_Ray

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14whlCCJP48UMmeQ-G9RSJo6yi2Dy3T7TRVqe4baUf1s/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a list of languages on the webpage over time, starting with January this year.

I had shared the link in another thread, but it's a good time to repost it.

Next a search on Google where that particular language is spoken. The info usually comes from Wikipedia

Then a search on WT Library (CD) for any experiences and check the featured publications.

It doesn't take long, it's interesting what you find, I've learned a lot and it's a pleasure to share information.

The next day I check this pagehttps://www.changedetection.com/log/org/jw/choose-language_log3.html

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:04 AM, Bjern said: Cool! I was wondering which languages they were.  Brandon said: Oh and looks like my page monitor is working:

to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's the third new language this month

995 Phimbi. Content 2 Tracts

This time Wikipedia was not much help but another site says Phimbi is spoken in Mozambique

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!