JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Court upholds sacking of Paris doctor over ‘religious’ beard

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2292 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A French court has upheld a decision by a Parisian hospital to sack an intern over his refusal to trim his beard, ruling that facial hair in a secular environment might be interpreted by staff and patients as a religious symbol.

According to the court documents, the hospital feared that the beard was "perceived by staff members as a sign of religious affiliation."
Refusing to back down, the intern asked the anti-discrimination group, the Collective Against Islamophobia in France, to intervene in the case.

https://www.rt.com/news/414777-religious-beard-gets-intern-sacked-france/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

According to the only other outlet reporting on this, it's a government-run hospital, and as such he would have been a government employee.

In that context, this is no different than the long-established bans that many countries have against government employees wearing visible religious insignia.

8 minutes ago, Stavro said:

According to the only other outlet reporting on this, it's a government-run hospital, and as such he would have been a government employee.

In that context, this is no different than the long-established bans that many countries have against government employees wearing visible religious insignia.

In context to this thread does that matter?

20 minutes ago, Your Brother said:

In context to this thread does that matter?

If the thread is meant to complain that the law is wrong and should be changed, no, it doesn't matter at all.

But as Christians, our command is to obey Caesar's law, not criticize how it is written or enforced.

I would have thought that for hygiene purposes he would need to keep it trimmed or at least covered.

20 minutes ago, Stavro said:

But as Christians, our command is to obey Caesar's law, not criticize how it is written or enforced.

But not when it conflicts with God's law. If the chap was indeed letting his beard grow for religious reasons, then he is well within his rights to not obey Caesar according to BIBLICAL law. Of all people, we should understand that! It's similar to Sikhs who are policemen and don't wear crash helmets required by law due to their turbans. If it was just to defy then system, then that's a different matter.

That's my penny's worth! :)

It's bigger on the inside!

14 minutes ago, Stoffer said:

If it was just to defy then system, then that's a different matter.

He has since been given a job at another hospital with no such rule, so he is not violating Caesar's law nor his personal beliefs.

The lawsuit apparently wasn't brought because he could not get any job, it was specifically to punish this hospital.

Edited by Stavro

1 hour ago, Stoffer said:

I would have thought that for hygiene purposes he would need to keep it trimmed or at least covered.

Stiffer, 

I wondered how long is his beard? 

If no job in hospital for him, then he might get some money from "world record" book :D Just kidding. :)

24 minutes ago, Guri said:

Stiffer, 

I wondered how long is his beard? 

If no job in hospital for him, then he might get some money from "world record" book :D Just kidding. :)

Apparently it is like this...

https://www.rt.com/news/409999-danish-party-muslim-beard-ban/

...Not what I would call "neat" or "trim".

Edited by Bjern

6 hours ago, Stavro said:

Had he been Anglo-Saxon, would his beard be viewed as a religious symbol? 

I'm sorry, but I think the beard issue is going too far.  

18 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I'm sorry, but I think the beard issue is going too far.  

People in the world have been caught up in the fever of fighting for their rights for so long that now they are fighting for their wants..

Its so much easier to apply love to our decisions and consider the other person before we consider ourselves...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Bjern said:

Apparently it is like this...

https://www.rt.com/news/409999-danish-party-muslim-beard-ban/

...Not what I would call "neat" or "trim".

Oh yes?  Where did it say it was like that?  His beard is 5cms (2ins) long ......  "finally managed to do his internship at the Paul Brousse, Villejuif hospital [in a suburb of Paris], where his 5 centimeters posed no problem to anyone."

Your link is from a Danish newspaper and that beard is well over 2 inches.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

15 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Oh yes?  Where did it say it was like that?  His beard is 5cms (2ins) long ......  "finally managed to do his internship at the Paul Brousse, Villejuif hospital [in a suburb of Paris], where his 5 centimeters posed no problem to anyone."

Ah I see, my mistake. The photo was placed into the same article, you see.

Well in that case it must have been his ethnic appearance, and if he was white then perhaps nobody would have even noticed the beard.

2 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

For those of us metric challenged, this comment is a good comparison. 

5cm = 2 inches. (well, 1.9685)

When I read that article I too misunderstood.  I was under the impression that he was the guy pictured,  with the long flowing beard.

Since I learned his beard was just less than 2 inches,  I would not have a problem with him, if he wore a net if he had to do surgery on me. The Dr. that did my first knee replacement was a Muslim man and bearded. His beard was covered during my surgery,  the results,  tho bad, were not because of his beard.

I did have a hairy experience with another Dr., I was in ER to get stitches in my forehead,  a number of days later it didn't seem to be healing correctly so I started looking and scratching at the stiches and wound up pulling a hair out of the wound.

You would have thought that they would have cleaned it better before sewing class was started. Head wounds bleed profusely and this was no exception,  I had blood everywhere.  I had held an ice cube in a rag smashed into it to slow the blood loss but someone missed that hair...oh well. ..

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

When I read that article I too misunderstood.  I was under the impression that he was the guy pictured,  with the long flowing beard.

Since I learned his beard was just less than 2 inches,  I would not have a problem with him, if he wore a net if he had to do surgery on me. The Dr. that did my first knee replacement was a Muslim man and bearded. His beard was covered during my surgery,  the results,  tho bad, were not because of his beard.

Tekmantwo, 

From my perspective, 2 inch beard isn’t that long to make such a big deal. Probably there was some other reason behind, to why they dealt with that doctor that way. France was dealing unfairly with our dear brothers util the Europian Court made the right decision. The doctor’s solicitor said they will appeal the case. So we never know how will it end. 

Edited by Guri

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

And I said you were right and said it was a good example the rest of us could learn from. 

Sorry Shawn.  I thought you hadn't noticed that I had converted for those that use imperial and that is why you converted it. :flowers:

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

On 02/01/2018 at 8:27 AM, Gregexplore said:

A French court has upheld a decision by a Parisian hospital to sack an intern over his refusal to trim his beard, ruling that facial hair in a secular environment might be interpreted by staff and patients as a religious symbol.

According to the court documents, the hospital feared that the beard was "perceived by staff members as a sign of religious affiliation."
Refusing to back down, the intern asked the anti-discrimination group, the Collective Against Islamophobia in France, to intervene in the case.

https://www.rt.com/news/414777-religious-beard-gets-intern-sacked-france/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Meanwhile just across the channel in my native UK...

lfnihw.png

Here in France there is a real crackdown on any sign of religious afficiation, so the beard issue was a religious one (not a hygienic one), the muslim girls are not allowed to wear headscafts in public schools and you will never see a public work with any head covering  (I'm not sure for beards, I don't take much notice but I'll look out...).  Religion is a hot potato here in Europe, hopefully it will soon get too hot to handle (Rev 18:4)!

Edited by sunshine