JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friday, March 16 The word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword.​—Heb. 4:12.

Wednesday, October 11

One man was there who had been sick for 38 years.—John 5:5.

Just north of the temple at Jerusalem was a pool known as Bethzatha. Large crowds of sick and infirm people would gather there, hoping that they would be miraculously cured. Moved with pity, Jesus approached a man who had been sick longer than Jesus had been alive on earth. (John 5:6-9) Jesus inquired if he wanted to get well. The response was immediate. The man wanted to be healed but he could not see how, for he had no one to help him into the pool. Jesus then commanded the man to do the impossible—to pick up his mat and walk. Taking Jesus at his word, the man picked up his mat and began to walk. What a heartwarming foregleam of what Jesus will do in the new world! In this miracle, we also see Jesus’ compassion. He sought out the needy. Jesus’ example should motivate us to continue to seek out people in our territory who are depressed about the terrible things happening in this world. w15 6/15 2:8-10

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monday, January 1

Put up a hard fight for the faith.—Jude 3.

The anxious wait is over. Relieved to see her father returning safely from battle, the young woman races to greet him and rejoices over his astounding victory. Instead of joining her in song and dance, he rips apart his battle-stained garments and cries out: “Oh no, my daughter! You have broken my heart.” Then he utters the words that change her life forever, shattering her dreams and hopes of a normal life. Yet, without hesitation, she encourages her father to follow through on what he promised Jehovah. Her words reveal her great faith. She trusts that whatever Jehovah asks is best for her. (Judg. 11:34-37) Her father’s heart swells with pride because he knows that his daughter’s willingness to support his decision brings Jehovah’s smile of approval. Jephthah and his daughter put their trust and confidence in Jehovah’s way of doing things, even when it was hard to do so. They were convinced that gaining God’s approval was worth any sacrifice. w16.04 1:1, 2

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

For years I had a difficult time with this scripture. I wondered ‘ Did it never occur to Jephthat that his daughter could be the first one out of the house? Or was it an example of making a promise without thinking about the cost?  I remember being little and running to meet my father every day after he got home from work!  I still see kids doing that but not as often. They are to caught up in their devices. (:))

It does not say if his daughter ever experienced any initial resentment or anger over his vow. It could possibly be a conclusion she became adjusted too.  The take away on it was she gave her loyal support to Jehovah and her father !  It is wonderful to do this unbegrudeingly but is it less acceptable to Jehovah if you experience an array of emotions before giving your 100% loyalty?  Are you any less a servant of Jehovah’s if you do not ever experience questions or must make yourself do the right thing? 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Leslie, your not the only one who has wondered about that. Isn't this what makes us free moral agents with the ability to think and reason and make choices and decisions. I would think it would be not normal to not go through the whole range of emotions given to us.  Some news is easy to take and may make us rejoice straight away while other news, takes us through the steps of confusion, shock, anger, sadness,  understanding and acceptance.

Jephthah's daughter certainly went through a range of emotions afterwards with friends (Judges 11:37) 37 She then said to her father: “Let this be done for me: Let me be alone for two months, and let me go away into the mountains, and let me weep over my virginity with my female companions.”

We all have different strengths and weakness which makes us have different  gifts we give to Jehovah.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Tuesday, January 2

You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome Jehovah gave.—Jas. 5:11.

If you are crushed by the discouraging words of a friend or family member, are plagued by a serious illness, or are grieved by the death of a loved one, you can find comfort in the example of Job. (Job 1:18, 19; 2:7, 9; 19:1-3) Although he was unaware of the source of his troubles, Job did not give up in despair. Why not? For one thing, “he feared God.” (Job 1:1) Job was determined to please Jehovah in favorable and unfavorable circumstances. With God’s help, Job reflected on the wondrous things Jehovah had already accomplished by means of His holy spirit. Job became even more confident that Jehovah would end his trials at the right time. (Job 42:1, 2) And that is precisely what happened. “Jehovah removed Job’s tribulation and restored his prosperity. Jehovah gave him double what he had before.” Job lived “a long and satisfying life.”—Job 42:10, 17. w16.04 2:11, 13

4 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Jephthah's daughter certainly went through a range of emotions afterwards with friends (Judges 11:37) 37 She then said to her father: “Let this be done for me: Let me be alone for two months, and let me go away into the mountains, and let me weep over my virginity with my female companions.”

We all have different strengths and weakness which makes us have different  gifts we give to Jehovah.

Thank you VinnIe!  I had completely forgotten about the scripture in Judges!  The father making the vow did not consult his daughter for her desires.  Much like when my husband would invite everyone, and I mean everyone, over for a dinner without asking me first.  forgetting to tell me that 40 people were coming by for supper but he forgot to mention it until just now.  I could have thrown a fit and cursed him (to tell the truth I did) but I want to remember it as if I were Jepethats daughter and loving supported his every decision !  But you realize what the important issues are and make the sacrifice.  At that time he had invited many snobbish LA/Beverly Hills realtors over since he did business with them and they were a good source of income for his business.  That must have been where the saying originated ‘the price of doing business’. 

LeslieDean

Wednesday, January 3

Prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves.—Matt. 10:16.

We show caution by recognizing dangers early, and we remain innocent by not letting them lead us into compromise. We must exercise caution when political issues are brought up. For example, when presenting the Kingdom message, avoid either praising or criticizing the policies of a political party or leader. Try to establish common ground with the householder by focusing on the underlying problem rather than on any proposed political solution. Then, show from the Bible how God’s government will solve the problem completely and permanently. If such volatile issues as same-sex marriage or abortion come up, defend God’s standards and explain how we follow these in our own lives. During the discussion, remain strictly neutral on the political aspects of these topics. We take no position regarding what laws should be enacted, repealed, or changed, and we do not pressure others to agree with our view. w16.04 4:8, 9

This is so hard,  I never voted or had a political interest what so ever prior to learning the truth.  And with the current president he just makes it so easy to want to point out his faults.  He gives the press and comedians so much material it is hard not to laugh and make fun of. I really need to pray about this, 

LeslieDean

This really is getting more difficult and I believe this is why the GB is giving us a heads up. As the world  gets more and more polarized. We have to constantly fight the current. Being opinionated creatures makes it more difficult. 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

13 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

This is so hard,  I never voted or had a political interest what so ever prior to learning the truth.  And with the current president he just makes it so easy to want to point out his faults.  He gives the press and comedians so much material it is hard not to laugh and make fun of. I really need to pray about this, 

A matter of prayer for me as well.

President Trump is a controversial figure and I’ve heard many of our brothers and sisters speak derogatory of him personally. 

Many are ignorant of most of the issues going on and are just jumping on the band wagon. 

Regardless of our personal feelings all governments are part of the wild beast and will cease to exist after Armageddon.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Thursday, January 4

Go, therefore, and make disciples.—Matt. 28:19.

We must make disciples, baptize them, and teach them, but what is the first thing we need to do? Jesus said: “Go”! With regard to this command, one Bible scholar commented: “To ‘go’ is the task of each believer, whether across the street or across the ocean.” (Matt. 10:7; Luke 10:3) Was Jesus referring only to the individual efforts of his followers, or was he alluding to an organized campaign to preach the good news? Since one individual would not be able to go to “all the nations,” this work would require the organized efforts of many. Jesus indicated as much when he invited his disciples to become “fishers of men.” (Matt. 4:18-22) The type of fishing he referred to here was not that of a lone fisherman using a line and a lure, sitting idly while waiting for the fish to bite. Rather, it involved the use of fishing nets—a labor-intensive activity that at times required the coordinated efforts of many.—Luke 5:1-11. w16.05 2:3, 4

Friday, January 5

Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight.—Prov. 3:5, 6.

To acquaint ourselves with Jehovah’s thinking, we need to make personal study a priority. When reading or studying God’s Word, we might ask ourselves, ‘What does this material reveal about Jehovah, his righteous ways, and his thinking?’ We need to have an attitude like that of the psalmist David, who sang: “Make me know your ways, O Jehovah; teach me your paths. Cause me to walk in your truth and teach me, for you are my God of salvation. In you I hope all day long.” (Ps. 25:4, 5) As you meditate on a Bible passage, you might consider questions like these: ‘How can I apply this information in my family? Where can I apply it? At home? At work? At school? In the ministry?’ Once we have determined where the material can be applied, it may become easier to perceive how we can put it to work. w16.05 3:9, 11

Saturday, January 6

The overseer should . . . be irreprehensible.—1 Tim. 3:2.

By giving a list of qualifications for overseers, Jehovah reveals that he has a high standard for those who serve in an appointed capacity. (1 Tim. 3:2-7) He expects them to set a good example, and he holds them accountable for the way they treat the congregation, “which he purchased with the blood of his own Son.” (Acts 20:28) Jehovah wants us to feel safe in the care of the appointed undershepherds. (Isa. 32:1, 2) From that standpoint, the Scriptural qualifications for Christian elders remind us of how much Jehovah truly cares for us. In fact, each Christian can learn from the qualifications listed in these verses, as most of them involve things that Jehovah asks of all Christians. For instance, all of us should be reasonable and sound in mind. (Phil. 4:5; 1 Pet. 4:7) As elders prove to be “examples to the flock,” we can learn from them and “imitate their faith.”—1 Pet. 5:3; Heb. 13:7. w16.05 5:8-10

Sunday, January 7

Above all the things that you guard, safeguard your heart.—Prov. 4:23.

Against what hardening traits must we be on guard? They include inordinate pride, the practice of sin, and a lack of faith. These could foster a disobedient, rebellious spirit. (Dan. 5:1,20; Heb. 3:13, 18, 19) King Uzziah of Judah certainly displayed pride. (2 Chron. 26:3-5, 16-21) At first, Uzziah did “what was right in Jehovah’s eyes,” and “he kept searching for God.” But “as soon as he was strong, his heart became haughty,” even though his strength was from God! He even attempted to burn incense at the temple—a privilege reserved for the Aaronic priests. Then, when the priests confronted him, proud Uzziah became enraged! The result? He had a humiliating “crash” at God’s hands and died a leper. (Prov. 16:18) If we failed to guard against pride, we too could begin “to think more of [ourselves] than it is necessary to think,” perhaps even to the point of resisting Scriptural counsel.—Rom. 12:3; Prov. 29:1. w16.06 2:3, 4

Monday, January 8

[Put] up with one another in love.—Eph. 4:2.

How do you feel about fellow Christians who are from cultures very different from your own? Their first language, style of clothing, manners, and food may not be what you are accustomed to. Do you tend to shy away from them and associate mainly with those who have a background similar to yours? Or what if those appointed as overseers in your congregation—or in your circuit or branch—are younger or are culturally or racially different from you? Do you allow such matters to undermine the unity and oneness of purpose that should exist among Jehovah’s people? What can help us to avoid such pitfalls? To the Christians in Ephesus, a prosperous and diversified city, Paul offered some practical counsel. (Eph. 4:1-3) Paul first mentioned such qualities as humility, mildness, patience, and love. These might be likened to the pillars of a house that keep it standing. w16.06 3:17, 18

Tuesday, January 9

Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed.—Luke 12:15.

Satan wants us to slave for Riches rather than for Jehovah. (Matt. 6:24) Those who spend most of their energy accumulating material things end up with a life that is, at best, shallow because it appeals to selfish gratification or that is, at worst, spiritually empty and full of grief and frustration. (1 Tim. 6:9, 10; Rev. 3:17) It is as Jesus described in his illustration of the sower. When the Kingdom message is “sown among the thorns . . . , the desires for everything else make inroads and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.” (Mark 4:14, 18, 19) As we near the end of this system of things, now is not the time to amass more and more material things for ourselves. We should not expect that any of our possessions, regardless of how treasured or valuable they may be, will survive with us through the great tribulation.—Prov. 11:4, ftn.; Matt. 24:21, 22. w16.07 1:5, 6

Wednesday, January 10

We all received . . . undeserved kindness upon undeserved kindness.—John 1:16.

A winegrower went to the marketplace early one morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. The men he found agreed to the wage he offered and went to work. The owner needed more workers, however, and returned to the marketplace throughout the day to hire more and more men, offering a fair wage even to those whom he hired at the end of the afternoon. When evening came, he gathered the workers together to give them their wages, and he gave the same amount to each of them, whether they had labored many hours or just one. When those first hired realized this, they complained. The winegrower replied: ‘Did you not agree to the wage I offered? Do I not have the right to give all my workers whatever I want? Are you envious because I am generous?’ (Matt. 20:1-15, ftn.) Jesus’ parable reminds us of one of Jehovah’s qualities that is often mentioned in the Bible—his “undeserved kindness.”—2 Cor. 6:1. w16.07 3:1, 2

Thursday, January 11

Look! I am making all things new. . . . Write, for these words are faithful and true.—Rev. 21:5.

More than ever, our mission as the end nears is to preach the good news of the Kingdom! (Mark 13:10) Undeniably, the good news highlights Jehovah’s undeserved kindness. We should keep this in mind when we share in our witnessing work. Our objective when we preach is to honor Jehovah. We can do this by showing people that all the promises of new world blessings are expressions of Jehovah’s wonderful kindness. As we witness to others, we can explain that under Christ’s Kingdom rule, mankind will benefit from the full application of the ransom sacrifice and will gradually be brought to perfection. The Bible says: “The creation itself will also be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God.” (Rom. 8:21) This will be possible only through Jehovah’s extraordinary kindness. w16.07 4:17-19

Friday, January 12

Let the husband give to his wife her due, and let the wife also do likewise to her husband.—1 Cor. 7:3.

Although the Bible does not provide specific rules about the kinds and limits of love play that might be associated with natural sexual intimacy, it mentions displays of affection. (Song of Sol. 1:2; 2:6) Christian marriage partners should treat each other with tenderness. Strong love for God and neighbor will not allow anyone or anything to interfere with the marriage bond. Some marriages have been strained or even ruined by a mate’s addiction to pornography. Any tendency toward being attracted to this or toward sexual interests of any sort outside marriage should be firmly resisted. Even giving the appearance of flirting with someone to whom one is not married is unloving and should be avoided. Remembering that God is aware of all our thoughts and actions will reinforce our desire to please him and to remain chaste.—Matt. 5:27, 28;Heb. 4:13. w16.08 2:7-9