JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friday, June 1 I will offer that one up as a burnt offering.​—Judg. 11:31.

Friday, June 1

I will offer that one up as a burnt offering.—Judg. 11:31.

Jephthah had no other child; his daughter was his only hope for a descendant, someone to carry on his name and his inheritance in Israel. (Judg. 11:34) Nevertheless, Judges 11:35 concludes with Jephthah saying: “I have opened my mouth to Jehovah, and I am unable to turn back.” His faithfulness even at great personal cost brought him God’s approval and blessing. Would you have made the same choice? When we dedicated our lives to Jehovah, we vowed that we would do his will unreservedly. We knew that living up to that promise would require self-sacrifice. However, our willingness is especially put to the test when we are asked to do things that are not initially to our liking. When we make such sacrifices and serve God in a way that takes us out of our comfort zone, we prove ourselves faithful. The resulting blessings are always far greater than any sacrifices we may make, painful as they may be.—Mal. 3:10. w16.04 1:11, 14, 15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Jephthah’s sacrifice, while not resulting in direct progeny, his story and that of his daughter has remained to this day and may forever more for the edification of all true Christians resulting in a Christian progeny for them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

When we make such sacrifices and serve God in a way that takes us out of our comfort zone, we prove ourselves faithful.

It's incredibly difficult to take ourselves out of our comfort zone, and Jehovah knows this.

That's why he values greatly such sacrifices.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

9 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

It's incredibly difficult to take ourselves out of our comfort zone, and Jehovah knows this.

That's why he values greatly such sacrifices.

Agreed - Matt 5:46-48

For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing?  47 And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?  48 You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

It is good to remember that Jehovah loves you very much. . . . and that He disciplines those He loves in order to bring them to perfection.