JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Friday, June 8 I have found David the son of Jesse a man agreeable to my heart.​—Acts 13:22.

Friday, June 8

I have found David the son of Jesse a man agreeable to my heart.—Acts 13:22.

David was loved by Jehovah, who found him to be a man “agreeable to his heart.” (1 Sam. 13:13, 14) But David later committed adultery with Bath-sheba, and she became pregnant. That occurred while her husband, Uriah, was away serving in the army. When he came home temporarily, David tried to get him to have sexual relations with Bath-sheba so that it might appear that Uriah was the child’s father. Uriah would not do what the king suggested, so David arranged to have him killed in battle. David paid dearly for his crime—calamities came upon him and his household. (2 Sam. 12:9-12) Yet, God showed mercy to this man who overall walked before Jehovah “with integrity of heart.” (1 Ki. 9:4) If you had lived among God’s people back then, how would you have reacted? Would David’s wrong conduct have stumbled you? w16.06 4:7

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

A man after mine own heart - This expression is found in at 1 Samuel 13:14 “But now your kingdom will not last. Jehovah will find a man agreeable to his heart, and Jehovah will commission him as a leader over his people, because you did not obey what Jehovah commanded you.

The connection shows that it means simply a man who would not be rebellious and disobedient as Saul was, but would do the will of God and keep his commandments. I think this refers to his public rather than to the private character of David; to his character as a king. It means that he would make the will of Jehovah the great rule and law of his reign, in contrast from Saul, who, as a king, had disobeyed Jehovah. At the same time it is true that the prevailing character of David, as a pious, humble, devoted man, was that he was a man after God's own heart, and was beloved by him as a holy man. He had faults; he committed sin; but who is free from it? He was guilty of great offences; but he also displayed equally, repentance. You can see this at Psalm 51.

Very poignant question in concluding comments. Shows Jehovah's view vs ours. How easily we could've looked and thought 'look what he's got away with, what's Jehovah doing about it'. Shows the danger of being judgemental, holding a grudge, or not respecting those Jehovah chooses to use to take the lead.