JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Discussion Forum
Thesauron

So You’ve Decided to Invite...

A long time ago my family was invited to friends for supper. They served a turkey roast with walnut stuffing. My wife is anaphylactic ,  plus with some 20 food allergies. The host said , well then just don't eat the stuffing.  Many people just don't understand  the danger of cross contamination and allergies. It's all deadly to some people and should be taken very seriously. Education is a key factor.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Thesauron said:

There is nothing inherently bad about eating dog meat. From an environmental point of view, it’s better than cow. The big problem is that some dogs that are raised for food aren’t raised under good circumstances. I wouldn’t buy such meat myself. Now, I have been offered, and I’ve tasted. I can’t say I liked it much, but it might have been the way it was cooked.

Guinea pig, considered a pet here but not in the Peruvian cuisine, was actually great bbq meat.

I thought it was notable a couple of Broadcasts ago, the scene was in Peru and when they mentioned "livestock", they showed guinea pigs! :D

I have another one of my get- togethers coming up. I reserve my community room and cover a basic menu. It includes food that I, myself, don't/ can't eat: several kinds of pizza generally including gluten free; coffee, tea,soda, other beverages like bottled water; dessert, snack - salad, baked macaroni and several other sides . Invitations include the option of bringing anything one would like, including Cds, Cd&gs, or nothing. My casual approach has always worked well. Will try to get a pic up.  

2 hours ago, Hope said:

I thought it was notable a couple of Broadcasts ago, the scene was in Peru and when they mentioned "livestock", they showed guinea pigs! :D

Well, yes, oddly enough, guinea pigs are either a staple or a delicacy in  Ecuador, South America. Mind you, they also still have cannibals in that part of the world.....:scared:

17 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Well, yes, oddly enough, guinea pigs are either a staple or a delicacy in  Ecuador, South America. Mind you, they also still have cannibals in that part of the world.....:scared:

Hmmm... I'm not sure it makes sense to conflate people who eat animals with cannibals...  They're not comparable in any way.

5 hours ago, Hope said:

image.png.68f34597d1420d69ef7da52bebc4d50c.pngI stayed in an airbnb property in Melbourne and the hosts had a lovely pet which they oddly called a rat. He was a free range guinea pig. He would be sleeping in his cage most of the time but could move around during the day when the couple was out working. Wished I could have one like that but was adverse to picking up the dropping. Didn't see any on the floor or was he house broken. I wished he had a mate. That would liven things up a bit. The owners gave him a bath one evening and he burrowed himself in the blanket. His name was Ratatouille.

5 hours ago, shali said:

If you have pets, it would also be good to let the people you invite know about it.  Seems like a lot of people are allergic to pets, but if fore warned, they can take some Benadyrl or something beforehand.

I agree. We always do.