JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I Didn’t Know, Now I Know That...

I love to learn new things. It keeps me alert and makes life more fun. What have you learned recently that you didn’t know before? Share with us! From trivial to deep things. Share a source too, if possible. I’ll start...

... Ancient Egyptians used to sever body parts of their statues to destroy their powers.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/39842-why-do-so-many-egyptian-statues-have-broken-noses/

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I heard on NPR that scientists have reasoned that the universe smells like raspberries (for those of you who used to wonder what the Universe smelled like - now you know!) They have a hypothesis for coming up with this but it's way above my pay grade to explain it! Haha!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I heard on NPR that scientists have reasoned that the universe smells like raspberries (for those of you who used to wonder what the Universe smelled like - now you know!) They have a hypothesis for coming up with this but it's way above my pay grade to explain it! Haha!

Nice one!

Three years ago, astronomers reported that Sagittarius B2, a dust cloud at the center of the Milky Way, includes the molecule ethyl formate, which is one of the compounds behind the flavor of raspberries and the scent of rum.

The Smells of Space: Burned Steak, Gunpowder, Raspberries (Discovery Magazine)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Thesauron said:

Nice one!

Three years ago, astronomers reported that Sagittarius B2, a dust cloud at the center of the Milky Way, includes the molecule ethyl formate, which is one of the compounds behind the flavor of raspberries and the scent of rum.

The Smells of Space: Burned Steak, Gunpowder, Raspberries (Discovery Magazine)

Could there be any better combination than raspberries and rum!  That proves to me that Jehovah truly loves us! (LOL) 

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Recently I read an article about space, about a pulsar PSR J0002 being ejected pretty quickly after a super nova...

Now I'm wondering if angels play football/soccer with these  

And here is the photo evidence from New Scientist...

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2197328-stunning-picture-shows-dead-star-racing-away-from-a-massive-explosion/
Could there be any better combination than raspberries and rum!  That proves to me that Jehovah truly loves us! (LOL) 

He knew it before we ever did...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, shali said:

Which astronaut volunteered to take off his space helmet and take a whiff ? :lol1:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

I wouldn't say it was something I learned recently - but, it was interesting when I learned that sharks have to remain swimming (in motion - should be forward) all the time to keep from drowning.

Seems other fish can be still and it does not cause them harm but a shark must be in motion constantly.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I wouldn't say it was something I learned recently - but, it was interesting when I learned that sharks have to remain swimming (in motion - should be forward) all the time to keep from drowning.

Seems other fish can be still and it does not cause them harm but a shark must be in motion constantly.

Which begs the question “why”? American Museum of Natural History answers:

“Some sharks must swim constantly in order to keep oxygen-rich water flowing over their gills, but others are able to pass water through their respiratory system by a pumping motion of their pharynx. This allows them to rest on the sea floor and still breathe. However, sharks do have to swim to avoid sinking to the bottom of the water column. The ability to move up and down freely in the water column is, in fact, one of the extraordinary adaptations of sharks.”

Sharks and Rays: Myth and Reality

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

...Apple has announced Apple TV+, a streaming service that will be available in over 100 countries this fall. Apple is one of the richest companies in the world.

Here’s something Tim Cook, CEO, doesn’t know: Our God Jehovah provides us with a free streaming service in over 280 languages with high quality programming and very little economic backing. It not only entertains us. It also gives us life.

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/

https://tv.jw.org

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 months later...

... the history of orange cheddar goes back to a 17th century fraud.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/11/07/243733126/how-17th-century-fraud-gave-rise-to-bright-orange-cheese (National Public Radio; NPR)

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Recently I learned about intestinal bacteria and how they can affect our mood.

With bad intestinal bacteria you can get depression.

I have also learned that there has never been a true communistic country.

All the communism countries got stuck in the dictatorship of the proletariat state. (As far as I understand.. this might be corrected) 

I thought the spinal cord went through the middle of the round bone, which doesn't make sense if I had really thought about it. So I found out it goes through the area where all the bony parts stick out, they form the spinal canal. It's amazing how they're shaped to protect it, and allow for nerves to extend out into the body.

Edited by boodles