JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Another One of Jehovah’s Witnesses Convicted in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1842 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On April 1, 2019, the same Russian court that sentenced Brother Dennis Christensen to six years in prison convicted 56-year-old Sergey Skrynnikov for practicing his faith as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The court imposed a large fine of $5,348.00 (RUB 350,000; EUR 4,758.95). No prison time was ordered, although the prosecution was seeking three years of detention.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/russia/Another-One-of-Jehovahs-Witnesses-Convicted-in-Russiab5ee93cb8d5229d588f7c31d9f0d55a9.jpg

Just Older

His final statement to the court is very encouraging to read. If ever there was an modern day example of Mark 13:11. As Jesus said "Do not be anxious......."

image.png.5c6754d97064195ff67bee21a91d5878.png

" “Fighting Jehovah's Witnesses is like blowing a dandelion — the stronger the pressure on them, the farther and thicker their seeds fly.”

Truly inspiring! What a most humble brother with such a willing spirit!! Love Bro Sergey’s summation.

It sets this whole thing upside down and yes, we should not despair. He considers it a privilege to be sent to new territory. May our Father continue to bless him and his family. 

I love his statement. It is a slap in the face to all that they are trying to do. No matter what, they cannot stop Jehovah  or his people!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

If I am unjustly arrested,

if I receive an unfair trial,

if I am persecuted by the government,

will I be able to say what Brother Sergey Skrynnikov said in his concluding comments?

"I offer special thanks to the prosecutor, Madam Nadezhda Gennadiyevna Naumova, because no undue pressure was exerted on me and the questioning was conducted properly".

Will I be able to see any good in my enemies and even find a way to commend or thank them?

Yes! If like Brother Skrynnikov, I have been trying to imitate Jesus in a special way by cultivating a love that no one else on earth has but Jehovah's people, a love for our enemies!

(MT 5:44, 45)
“You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous.”

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I was very touched by Br. Sergey's final statement. You can tell from his words how spiritually strong he is. What I liked the most is that he used the opportunity to give a great witness with agape. 

Special thanks to my persecutors for helping me find a new territory in prison for preaching... wow! What an attitude!

Edited by Bek

20 hours ago, Bek said:

I was very touched by Br. Sergey's final statement. You can tell from his words how spiritually strong he is. What I liked the most is that he used the opportunity to give a great witness with agape. 

Special thanks to my persecutors for helping me find a new territory in prison for preaching... wow! What an attitude!

“We as Jehovah’s Witnesses could never have dreamed that this campaign would reach such magnitude. So now a new door has opened for the ministry in what are essentially new circumstances and new places. For Jehovah’s Witnesses to preach the good news in new places is truly a great honor. And it is the prosecutor’s office that is making this possible.”

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

So proud to be one of Jehovahs Witnesss as it puts me shoulder to shoulder with such fine men and women of faith...  I wonder what the Prosecutor made of him; she may have thought he'd lost his mind, that is unless she knows her history.  No idle "threat" this...

If for another ten years or so the government keeps putting Jehovah’s Witnesses in prisons and correctional colonies, there will be about 200 of them in each penal facility. Imagine four congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses in one prison! The prison administrators will be begging the Ministry of Justice to set Jehovah’s Witnesses free. What do you imagine the majority of Witnesses would pray for? “Lord, don’t soften the heart of the administrator; don’t let him set me free. I have so many Bible students and sincere people to talk to in here.”

seeds.png

Edited by sunshine

16 hours ago, sunshine said:

So proud to be one of Jehovahs Witnesss as it puts me shoulder to shoulder with such fine men and women of faith... 

Do you realise how much it really is € 5000? For a teacher in Russia?

Just asking....

"Absolute rubbish”

2 hours ago, campanula said:

Do you realise how much it really is € 5000? For a teacher in Russia?

Just asking....

I don't know earnings in Russia, in France 5000€ would be about  2 months wages for a teacher... I think about 4 months for someone on minimum wage... about five months if you are working part time and pioneering  ☺️ 

I should think earning power would be less in Russia but I really don't know

(wouldn't the brothers all help pay for the fine? )

Edited by sunshine

I think he will need about 2 years to pay the fine. According to Google, a school teacher in Russia gets on average about 400-450 dollars a month after tax. So if he did not eat anything, he would be able to pay the fine in 12 months. But as a Christian head of family, he will have to provide for his wife and kids. So the costs add up. 

It looks like that the Kremlin has decided to go by a different path this time. Why jail "extremists" when you can hit them hard in the pocket? Just imagine if JWs get fined whopping amounts of money every time they "violate" the extremism law, they will just go bankrupt after a few fines. 

If you consider how hard life currently is in Russia due to the economic downturn and Western sanctions, I feel sorry for our brothers and sisters there.

Incidentally, yesterday I read a report about growing poverty in Russia. It said that 80 per cent of Russians cannot always afford to buy essentials items and a third cannot afford to buy season appropriate shoes.