JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thursday, June 13 ~ It is good to sing praises to our God.​—Ps. 147:1.

Thursday, June 13

It is good to sing praises to our God.—Ps. 147:1.

Faithful worshippers of Jehovah have long used music as a way to praise Jehovah. It is noteworthy that when the ancient Israelites were faithfully serving Jehovah, singing was prominent in their worship. For example, in preparation for service at the temple, King David organized 4,000 Levites to provide music of praise. Among these, 288 were “trained in song to Jehovah, all experts.” (1 Chron. 23:5; 25:7) At the inauguration of the temple, music and singing played a prominent role. The account tells us: “At the moment when the trumpeters and the singers were praising and thanking Jehovah in unison, and as the sound ascended from the trumpets, the cymbals, and the other musical instruments as they were praising Jehovah, . . . the glory of Jehovah filled the house of the true God.” What a faith-strengthening occasion that must have been!—2 Chron. 5:13, 14; 7:6. w17.11 4 ¶4-5

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This is a hard one for me... Singing at the meetings.

I love and play music and I thank Jehovah that he made the seeming impossible, possible.. As someone said (Pete Waterman?) the pure variety of music from just 8 notes (12 in an octave, but still....)

But I don't like actually singing myself... I do it, out of pure respect for Jehovah, at the hall and struggle to enjoy it. My wife tells me I do not sing out of tune.. (and she WOULD tell me if it wasn't!)

What a paradox!

The situation does get me down a bit...

TORN!

9 hours ago, Alan said:

This is a hard one for me... Singing at the meetings.

I love and play music and I thank Jehovah that he made the seeming impossible, possible.. As someone said (Pete Waterman?) the pure variety of music from just 8 notes (12 in an octave, but still....)

But I don't like actually singing myself... I do it, out of pure respect for Jehovah, at the hall and struggle to enjoy it. My wife tells me I do not sing out of tune.. (and she WOULD tell me if it wasn't!)

What a paradox!

The situation does get me down a bit...

TORN!

Everyone has something that's particularly difficult in their service to Jehovah I'd imagine, eh?  Even though I'm a pioneer, field service is my most difficult - not difficult because I'm shy or don't like talking to stranger.  I just don't like it.  If we had an announcement we didn't have to go out anymore, I'd have  a party!  There's not one single thing about the ministry I would miss.

But singing -- that's the easiest thing in the world for me and NOTHING brings more joy to my life. I'm only sad that I can't do it like I'd like to.  If I could pioneer by singing, I'd be a special pioneer -- I could sing 150 hours a month easily!  :D  

1 hour ago, Hope said:

Everyone has something that's particularly difficult in their service to Jehovah I'd imagine, eh?  Even though I'm a pioneer, field service is my most difficult - not difficult because I'm shy or don't like talking to stranger.  I just don't like it.  If we had an announcement we didn't have to go out anymore, I'd have  a party!  There's not one single thing about the ministry I would miss.

But singing -- that's the easiest thing in the world for me and NOTHING brings more joy to my life. I'm only sad that I can't do it like I'd like to.  If I could pioneer by singing, I'd be a special pioneer -- I could sing 150 hours a month easily!  :D 

Grumpy couldn't agree more!

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.