JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

“Merry Christmas “

Not that I visit many stores these days, or meet anyone at all, really. But a simple ‘thank you’ and a ‘have a nice day’ seems to do the trick.

A Christmas carol came on the radio today, with the lyrics, “man will live forevermore because of Christmas Day.” And I thought, first, no, man will not live forevermore because of that day. Man will clearly live forevermore because of what happened during Nisan 14th. Or, more appropriately, because of what happened when Jesus, some time later, entered in before Jehovah’s presence to present the value of his life. THAT is why man can have the hope of living forevermore. Poor people in such darkness and missing out on something so beautiful.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

6 hours ago, Fmkehoe said:

You’re leaving the store and the clerk says merry Christmas, how do you respond?

You say this again, I and I am not coming back to this store again ... (my finger pointing decisively around his nose) LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, carlos said:

"Holidays" is British for "vacation". "Enjoy your vacation!" Most people have some vacation this time of year, at least on December 25 and January 1.

Yeah that's right most people have at least some holidays (vacation) over the Xmas period

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

9 hours ago, Julie said:

Yeah that's right most people have at least some holidays (vacation) over the Xmas period

Easy for an Americans to misunderstand !  In Britain when one says holiday it only means vacation.  In the colonies saying "enjoy the holiday" is the same as saying "enjoy Christmas."  At the same time we in the colonies may refer to "Christmas Bonuses", "Christmas vacation" as only meaning things that happen at Christmas Time or Christmas/Winter School Break.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

16 hours ago, Fmkehoe said:

You’re leaving the store and the clerk says merry Christmas, how do you respond?

Sometimes I ask if they have the day off and that leads to a friendly conversation.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...

I usually just say "thank you". Sometimes I might say, "I hope you have a good week" or whatever, because I find that's vague enough to not  be a holiday greeting, and positive enough that no one is offended. When I worked in retail, I'd say something to that effect, because customers could easily get really offended if you don't wish them a happy holiday, so I'd just say something like "I hope you enjoy your week" or whatever specific thing they've mentioned that they plan on doing like a family gathering or whatever. I think it made it easier that at my last job, I worked with another Witness, so I'd hear the things she'd say as well, and I think she'd say something similar.
Being just a customer or acquaintance, it's easy to get away with simply saying "thank you" though, or ask their plans and maybe comment on that; also asking their plans often leads to their asking your plans which can also open an opportunity to Witness.

Edited by Katty