JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jehovah’s Witnesses File Copyright Lawsuit in Response to Blundering Christmas Album

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1205 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A Christmas album? :lol: Now that’s irony for ya.

I’m surprised they weren’t offended by the word “obey” in the title. :lol:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

This is the consequence of this story: https://jwtalk.net/topic/46977-aled-jones-listen-obey-and-be-blessed-merged/

BMG used a copyrighted song after being denied a license to use it. It seems quite straightforward.

I was thinking that this part could get complicated. It's "he said, she said" 

"In a response from BMG UK, the company said that it had been given permission to use it by German rights society GEMA, another entity known for its own copyright infringement lawsuits.

Despite the claims from both music outfits, Watch Tower insists it never approved licenses"

1 hour ago, Maria Keerie said:

Imagine our lovely song played in a Cathedral.

And priest saying ...for more fine spiritual material please visit jw.org where this songs comes from ....what are you waiting for... get out from here and Jehovah will take you in LOL 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

18 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I’m surprised they weren’t offended by the word “obey” in the title. 

Yeah, I’m surprised, if they were going to rip off a song, that they would choose that one.

Listen, obey, and be Blessed” as a interdenominational song? Obey what? Obey the religious call to give the election to Trump? Obey the religious call to promote choice?  Obey the religious call to defy authorities and pack out your church, Covid notwithstanding? Obey the religious call to protest the police? And suggest that you will be “blessed” regardless of who, how, what you obey? No way. Make a buck on our song? For Christmas? No.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

18 hours ago, Musky said:

I was thinking that this part could get complicated. It's "he said, she said" 

"In a response from BMG UK, the company said that it had been given permission to use it by German rights society GEMA, another entity known for its own copyright infringement lawsuits.

Despite the claims from both music outfits, Watch Tower insists it never approved licenses"

They will need to show something in writing. Verbal consent won't hold up in court, as far as I know.

I find it amazing that despite prior notice from the organization that the song wouldn't be allowed to be used the management company still chose to go ahead, ignoring the warning.

I wonder how much Jones himself knew of the situation. It's hard to think that he wouldn't have been told of the notification from the organization, but I suppose that's all for the lawyers to sort out.

At least it should help any Witnesses who might have possibly been stumbled by this album to understand more clearly what's gone on. And for those in the world who accused us of being hypocritical, engaging in interfaith etc, some will be put straight, others will believe what they want anyway.

Bottom line, leave it to Jehovah's organization to resolve matters, and exercise patience.

On 12/29/2020 at 6:24 AM, friendlyone said:

At least it should help any Witnesses who might have possibly been stumbled by this album to understand more clearly what's gone on. And for those in the world who accused us of being hypocritical, engaging in interfaith etc, some will be put straight, others will believe what they want anyway.

I was surprised how in-depth the article on Torrentfreak was. The article mentioned how this issue had been discussed on various JW forums, and I was like "There's hardly any real forums for people who actually are Witnesses" :shutup: Few people today know, or sadly even care, enough so as to be informed that we refuse to engage in anything with connections to interfaith. So I do think that any stirring of the pot would mostly be in the interests of former Witnesses who really have nothing better to do with their lives.

I  wonder how many "real" Witnesses even knew about the whole debacle. I for one would never have heard about this "freak incident" if it wasn't for JWTalk, but then again I am not particularly extroverted either. I think very few people who aren't influenced by the bitter hate of disfellowshipped/disassociated ones would lose their sleep over how the Organization was going to solve the matter. We all know to trust the Slave. But then again Br. Morris in a recent Broadcasting did talk to parents who were aghast because of the "violence" featured in our productions, so I guess there are Karens/Kevins among our brothers and sisters, too  :shrugs:

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29