JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Theocratic Crossword App

JW Crossword is a new app with theocratic crosswords. If you like crosswords you may want to check it out. It has full newspaper-type crosswords or smaller study guide crosswords for our meetings. It is available for iOS or Android.

Full disclosure - I am the creator of the app. If you are interested in crossword puzzles, I would very much appreciate any feedback. And this is a new app, so if you happen to run into any bugs, please email me. I did not feel comfortable having worldly ads, so I do have an optional subscription to help cover development costs. But there are plenty of crosswords to do without the subscription. Hope you enjoy it!

Screenshot_2021-04-21-08-43-39.png

Screenshot_2021-04-21-08-45-07.png

Thanks for the info. I have been using Eclipse Crossword ( Free) to make Bible Crosswords and have been sharing them among the congregation members during the last few months. They really seem to like the challenge. I try to make easy to difficult ones so all can enjoy from children to adults. It's helpful to increase my Bible Knowledge too! I am sure your app will be popular.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:35 AM, CrosswordGuy said:

JW Crossword

I tried it on my android device and I couldn't get it to work. Everytime I tried to enter a letter it would go back to a help page. It was very annoying and I uninstalled it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 4/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, CrosswordGuy said:

Full disclosure - I am the creator of the app. If you are interested in crossword puzzles, I would very much appreciate any feedback. 

Sweet! Based on your account name, I assume you're already aware; but the organization used to add crosswords to magazines. They made plenty of them; maybe you could draw some inspiration for more crosswords from there.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200271474?q=crossword&p=par

18 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I tried it on my android device and I couldn't get it to work. Everytime I tried to enter a letter it would go back to a help page. It was very annoying and I uninstalled it.

I had the same problem, the app starts off stuck on the help page.

So all you do is press the x at the top and the game starts.

Works very well. Thank you.

5 hours ago, michelle said:

I had the same problem, the app starts off stuck on the help page.

So all you do is press the x at the top and the game starts.

Thanks, that was the problem. The X is at the very top of my device with the notification bar information and I didn't see it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 4/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, Tortuga said:

Thanks, that was the problem. The X is at the very top of my device with the notification bar information and I didn't see it.

Tortuga - yes the guide page shows up the first time a user tries a crossword. But thank you for letting me know the issue - we will try to make the 'X' a bit more obvious in future updates.

To everyone else, thank you so much for your feedback and interest!

1 hour ago, CrosswordGuy said:

Tortuga - yes the guide page shows up the first time a user tries a crossword. But thank you for letting me know the issue - we will try to make the 'X' a bit more obvious in future updates.

To everyone else, thank you so much for your feedback and interest!

Here is how it originally showed up on my device.

Screenshot_20210428-105917.thumb.jpg.54bea95dbd962bd37892100a38b27f5e.jpg

On 4/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, Mzbarb said:

I downloaded the app, enjoying it so far. I do wish I do wish I could start where I left off instead of starting over. I did subscribe.

Thank you so much for subscribing! The app should save progress. Make sure when you exit a crossword you do so with the 'X' in the corner or the back button. Currently just closing the app may cause you to lose progress. That is a known issue we should have fixed hopefully in the next few weeks.

Hope you enjoy the meeting crosswords, updated weekly!

On 5/4/2021 at 5:03 PM, N1ckman21 said:

I haven't been able to use the app, my app gets stuck forever loading on the sign-in page. I'm using Android (Oneplus).

Jaciel, thank you for letting me know this! Can you give me your particular Oneplus model (Oneplus 6T, Oneplus N10, etc)? Also if you look in your phone's settings, what version of Android are you running (I believe the latest is Android 10)?

• 9 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, CrosswordGuy said:

JW Crossword is a new app with theocratic crosswords. If you like crosswords you may want to check it out. It has full newspaper-type crosswords or smaller study guide crosswords for our meetings. It is available for iOS or Android.

Full disclosure - I am the creator of the app. If you are interested in crossword puzzles, I would very much appreciate any feedback. And this is a new app, so if you happen to run into any bugs, please email me. I did not feel comfortable having worldly ads, so I do have an optional subscription to help cover development costs. But there are plenty of crosswords to do without the subscription. Hope you enjoy it!

Screenshot_2021-04-21-08-43-39.png

Screenshot_2021-04-21-08-45-07.png

I would like the app

7 hours ago, sis little said:

I would like the app

Search 'JW Crossword' on the app store and enjoy! 😀

2 hours ago, Mykyl said:

Went to try this app. Installed it. First thing it asked for was for me to sign in using my Apple ID. Sorry. Not a chance. Lol. 
Uninstalled. 

Understandable. We decided to use Apple ID (or Google account for Android) because that way the registration is handled by them - we don't see or store any private information. We use the sign in to recognize our subscribers who have access to the full app. But thank you Mykyl for at least checking our app out. 🙂

54 minutes ago, CrosswordGuy said:

Search 'JW Crossword' on the app store and enjoy! 😀

Understandable. We decided to use Apple ID (or Google account for Android) because that way the registration is handled by them - we don't see or store any private information. We use the sign in to recognize our subscribers who have access to the full app. But thank you Mykyl for at least checking our app out. 🙂

I like to try things but don’t like to have to sign into anything to check an app out first of all. Sorry. 
With any app that immediately asks for me to create an account or sign into something I just delete it immediately so it’s not just your app.
If the app allows me to check something out before signing up I have no issue with that. 

Thank you anyway. I used to make games and utilities for iOS about 10 years ago. 👍

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this app! I'm grateful for a crossword that does not have God dishonoring names and practices!

I would ask that the "squares" be a bit bigger though, I tend to fat finger when I'm trying to choose a square. Also, if the clue is abbreviated or more than one word, could you include that in the description?

Like others here, I was uncomfortable signing in, but so far, so good. 

Thank you again for your efforts and I look forward to improvements in the future.