JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

France ordered to pay millions for illegal taxation of Jehovah’s Witnesses - JW-Media.org

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4302 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

France ordered to pay millions for illegal taxation of Jehovah's Witnesses

STRASBOURG, France—The European Court of Human Rights ruled today that the government of France must pay over 4.5 million euros ($5,600,000 US approx.) for full restitution to Jehovah’s Witnesses for violating their religious freedom through illegal taxation.

Last year, on June 30, 2011, the European Court ruled that the government of France violated the rights of Jehovah’s Witnesses when it attempted to impose a retroactive 60 percent tax on all religious donations made by Jehovah’s Witnesses in France between 1993 and 1996. The Court invited the parties to resolve the matter amicably, but because the government maintained that the excessive taxation was not illegal, a friendly settlement was impossible.

In today’s decision, the government was ordered to remove “all consequences” of the tax. In addition to returning the 4,590,295 euros ($5,749,439.50 US approx.) that were confiscated at the time that the taxation was imposed, plus interest, the government is to pay the Witnesses 55,000 euros ($68,888.64 US approx.) for legal costs and expenses. It is expected that full restitution will also include removing all liens or mortgages from the facilities owned and used by the Witnesses in Louviers.

Well, Revelation said that during this time, the stable governmental systems will provide a measure of assistance for his people from Satan's onslaughts. This is confirmation that Jehovah is watching out for us. What wonderful news!!

It is all nice to see, now they need to get the money from French authorities . (which is another story)

European Court deals with international things and I wonder if it has the 'teeth' to exact a Tax reversal and if France will juat blow this judgement off.

I hope the money is forthcoming soon.

Our God is Mighty... during this case the brothers from the France branch would often ask the brothers to pray about this matter, specifically writing to the congregations, explaining developments and asking us "Please pray about this!" it was clear they often came to points in the case when prayer was the only way to move things forward. I prayed and prayed because that is all I could do. So many years and hundereds of hours and all the French brothers and sisters praying and this is the outcome. As my brother said, the enemies are raging because they thought we were dead and buried when this all started but like I said... our God is Mighty!

* I wouldn't hold my breath actually waiting for the cheque to be sent, but it represents a veritable victory, we are very happy here in France!*