JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What’s in your bacon? Ractopamine, that’s what. Banned in 160 countries except the U.S.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3921 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Since deciding to go vegan, we started to learn about the horrific process by which animals are raised and killed for human consumption. If you are a new vegan or vegetarian and have not really dissected industrial meat production or factory farming, go have a look here. But be warned, it’s disturbing and frankly, completely indefensible.

Ever hear of poop foam explosions on hog “farms?” How about zilpaterol or ractopamine?

Zilpaterol is given to beef cattle to make them gain muscle weight (it’s a steroid), but when fed to horses, there were adverse effects. So, apparently not okay for horses, but a-okay for  cows since they’re headed for slaughter—and then consumed by humans?

One study found a variety of issues with the reproductive health of both male and female rats exposed to these endocrine disrupting chemicals.

Ractopamine is another drug given to pigs, cattle and turkeys, and more disturbingly it is fed to them right before slaughter so that the drug remains in the animals’ systems at death, and then consumed by humans. It was first tested for asthma in humans but failed, and it is now sold under a variety of brand names for animal use, including Paylean and Topmax.

The link below takes you to an article from Nutrition Facts dot org, we urge you to read the entire article:

Studies over the last decade have shown that pigs on ractopamine may have chronically elevated heart rates, increased stress reactions, and difficulty walking. In fact the warning label reads: ‘‘Caution: Pigs fed PAYLEAN are at an increased risk for exhibiting the downer pig syndrome,” a condition in which pigs are too sick, injured, or exhausted to stand and may be dragged to slaughter.

It’s not just bacon you are eating, or turkey or beef anymore. It’s all the drugs, chemicals and antibiotics pumped into those miserable animals during the short course of their lives that wind up not only in your body, but in the water supply, air, earth  and possibly passed onto your children while in utero.

Banned in many other countries but not the United States

China is the largest consumer of pork products in the world with an ever-growing appetite for more. The thing is, China is very protectionist when it comes to importing foreign goods and with the potential buyout of Smithfield by a company with Chinese ties, for the sole purpose of importing U.S. pork into China, Smithfield has begun eliminating the use of ractopamine in some of its livestock.

Why?

Because China has banned ractopamine for safety reasons, along with 159 other countries including Russia, the European Union, Malaysia and Taiwan.

But why would Smithfield still use it here in the United States but stop its use for Chinese exports? All we can say is follow the money trail or the lobbying trail, which are really one and the same.

You are what you eat.

http://www.vegtosterone.com/2013/06/25/whats-in-your-bacon-ractopamine-thats-what-banned-in-160-countries-except-the-u-s/

That's disturbing. I have to say I no longer by my fresh products like vegies or the meats. From Coles, Woolworths or Aldi"S

Havent done so for years. 1 because it didnt last and smelt awful. 2 more expensive.

I go to an awesome Italian Market. I know its fresh. Straight from the Farmers and no additives or hormones etc included in the price.

The meat is sold fresh daily. It looks bad then dont buy it.
the only time I had a bad experience was when I bought a twin pack of whole chickens, 1 was good. the other still had its inards and the rest of not meant to bes and it was horrid slimly so they both went in the bin.

thanks for the info Jordan.  Scarey.  No offense here now friends I havent bought prepacked foods etc From China etc. Because I heard and researched how they use human waste to grow their crops. Nice. Not.

Isaiah 65. we will all have fresh foods. Grow our own.  :ecstatic:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Hey Jordan...Have you ever tried Raw Bacon.  An exquisite raw vegan delicacy. If you have a chance google the recipe. Consisting of liquid smoke, maple syrup, Tamari marinated egg plant, sliced thin and dried to perfection in a dehydrator.  This is what you serve to the scepticts... Convinces them everytime   (tu)

Hey Jordan...Have you ever tried Raw Bacon.  An exquisite raw vegan delicacy. If you have a chance google the recipe. Consisting of liquid smoke, maple syrup, Tamari marinated egg plant, sliced thin and dried to perfection in a dehydrator.  This is what you serve to the scepticts... Convinces them everytime   (tu)

I have to say that sounds really good though I've never tried it... as a child my mother used to buy Canadian canned bacon - it was the best ever - I love bacon. I have used a dehydrator on other meats...

When I was young we didn't have much money so my mother would sometimes bake spam covered in brown sugar and pineapple - yeah Ghetto steak - But I liked it.

I love it.  I like spam, spam, spam, eggs, spam and spam!  Unfortunately I am not allowed to eat it anymore.

My mum used to fry spam slices and I'd have sandwiches of spam fritter with lots of brown sauce. Mmmmmm.  

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Python+spam&docid=4670992723149525&mid=E632BD51E69FFC8AF3B9E632BD51E69FFC8AF3B9&view=detail

Since deciding to go vegan, we started to learn ...

I hear this from many who decide not to eat meat. However, did you also do the same research and learning about the vegetables and fruit you are eating?

Vegetables Big Culprit in Food Illness - Wall Street Journal "Lettuce and other leafy vegetables are healthy for you, but they are also the largest source of food-borne contamination in the U.S., according to a new government report."

Pesticides and Produce - "US FDA maintains that consuming pesticides in low amounts is harmless, but some studies show an association between pesticides and health problems such as cancer"

What is "organic produce"?

Organic produce is grown without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation.

Before a product can be labeled "organic," a government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer meets the U.S. Department of Agriculture's organic standards. (standards that were lobbied for and carefully worded to allow what they wanted them to allow) Companies that handle or process organic food before it reaches the supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.

What is ethylene gas - and how does it affect produce?

Some fruits and vegetables - like bananas - naturally produce ethylene gas when they ripen. Oftentimes, such fruits and vegetables are harvested in the unripened state to preserve firmness and for long shelf life; they are later exposed to ethylene gas to induce ripening.

Genetically engineered plants are generated in a laboratory by altering their genetic makeup and are tested in the laboratory for desired qualities. This is usually done by adding one or more genes to a plant's genome using genetic engineering techniques. Most genetically modified plants are generated by the biolistic method (particle gun) or by Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated transformation.

Once satisfactory plants are produced, sufficient seeds are gathered, and the companies producing the seed need to apply for regulatory approval to field-test the seeds. If these field tests are successful, the company must seek regulatory approval for the crop to be marketed (see Regulation of the release of genetic modified organisms). Once that approval is obtained, the seeds are mass-produced, and sold to farmers. The farmers produce genetically modified crops, which also contain the inserted gene and its protein product. The farmers then sell their crops as commodities into the food supply market, in countries where such sales are permitted.

Top Ten Genetically Modified foods:

1. Salmon
  2. Animal Feed
  3. Oils
  4. Soybeans
  5. Golden Rice
  6. Squash
  7. Tomatoes
  8. Corn
  9. Potatoes
  10. Sugar Beets

Just some food for thought :)

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

O

I hear this from many who decide not to eat meat. However, did you also do the same research and learning about the vegetables and fruit you are eating?

Vegetables Big Culprit in Food Illness - Wall Street Journal "Lettuce and other leafy vegetables are healthy for you, but they are also the largest source of food-borne contamination in the U.S., according to a new government report."

Pesticides and Produce - "US FDA maintains that consuming pesticides in low amounts is harmless, but some studies show an association between pesticides and health problems such as cancer"

Top Ten Genetically Modified foods:

1. Salmon
  2. Animal Feed
  3. Oils
  4. Soybeans
  5. Golden Rice
  6. Squash
  7. Tomatoes
  8. Corn
  9. Potatoes
  10. Sugar Beets

Just some food for thought :)

Absolutely, fortunately there are quite a few local farmers here in my area and one ... good ANTI GMO store in town, that being Earthfare. I'm very careful about what I eat and if you only knew how dull my diet is you would cry with me ...

Here's a Jordan fact for you - most of what I eat comes from blended organic foods. Yes, I put them in a vitamix and add some water and drink most of my foods. I do get protein from other non meat sources , beans, Chlorella, and as I've admitted ---- < insert trumpet sounds here> I DO take a day or two break from my diet to eat as I please, usually ends up being BBQ Chicken Pizza... yes that's one of the few things I love that doesn't get me sick after being on a non chemical diet for 2 months.

Most of the pesticides here are made from naturals, such as chrysanthemum, paprika and cinnamon. I'm sure there is no way to be 100% clean in this system thats for sure but we can eat less of the well know bad things and it helps, several of the brothers here have beaten their diabetes down and no longer have to take drugs as long as they are on a raw veggie diet.

Personally I had a thyroid condition and Vandy wanted to cut me open but I found out how to get the right thing in my body (Iodine) and they no longer needed (magically) to remove my thyroid nor do I have to take any pills.

So we can still work with what we are given but to be sure our foods and water is toxic and we can not entirely escape it, were being poisoned by Satan's world in so many ways .. it's depressing ... I've lost so many good friends and my wife to him.. and the thing is Satan isn't worth one human soul , not one. He deserves what he gets... and I feel no remorse for him in anyway...

I love it.  I like spam, spam, spam, eggs, spam and spam!  Unfortunately I am not allowed to eat it anymore.

My mum used to fry spam slices and I'd have sandwiches of spam fritter with lots of brown sauce. Mmmmmm.  

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Python+spam&docid=4670992723149525&mid=E632BD51E69FFC8AF3B9E632BD51E69FFC8AF3B9&view=detail

Oh, no....A fellow Monty Python fan.<G>

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

If I were living alone, I would be a vegetarian, but my Mom is old school (meat, potatoes, etc.).  Plus, I have to try and keep her on as much of a gluten-free diet as possible, and if I cut out meat, she would get even thinner than she is now.  :(

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I know what is in my bacon - EVERYTHING that makes everything else taste better!!!

In fact, did you know there is a TV show called - "The United States of Bacon"  :omg:

http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/12/06/united-states-of-bacon-tv-show-because-this-is-america/

post-272-0-27999700-1372885950.jpg

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Caution to all my Vegan brothers and sisters - DO NOT click this link!! You will never go back to just veggies!!!

http://www.baconcoma.com/category/bacon-food-ideas/

It is called Bacon Coma - for a REASON!!!  :lol1:

EDIT> Favorite saying "Bacon is the duct tape of food "

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Rub It in Macgyerry...LOLs

One time I bought the not so Bacon. Its the vegetarian style Bacon made from beans etc. It was ok.

Yes You can still by Spam. While we were on the RD we bought some cans of it. I like to cook it like bacon add some bake beans.

Taste OK.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

@Jordan a brother in my cong he is 80yrs he has had a few C scares. But went on this mega healthy diet has got rid of it. He is in to the naturals. 

On another thought. Daniels Diet? As my Family call it. you know when they were challenged before the King.

Wonder what Daniel would say if he were round today? With all these different processed foods?

I know what is in my bacon - EVERYTHING that makes everything else taste better!!!

In fact, did you know there is a TV show called - "The United States of Bacon"  :omg:

http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/12/06/united-states-of-bacon-tv-show-because-this-is-america/

attachicon.gifbacon!.jpg

seriously I could eat bacon wrapped ice cream.. or chocolate dipped bacon - tell me what it doesn't go on? In fact what can't be improved by adding bacon or chocolate?

I hereby suggest we use this handy bacon chart to decide when to eat bacon:

PJmbR.jpg

All in favor say aye?

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)