-
Posts
5,372 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
32
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Downloads
Events
Gallery
JWTalk Insider
Blogs
Everything posted by LeslieDean
-
You are my kind of gal!
-
Have you ever looked at a site called Chair-ish? Unique pieces of high end furniture that is in California. The other site is First Dibs. Still too expensive for me but love to dream.
-
The one i am giving away or the one I fell in love with? The blue sofa is a tweed dark blue and grey performance fabric. It is less than a year delivered on Nov 25 last year. But the other , oh my , I know it's more of a conversation piece and believe me if I could have bought it I would have . Just can't see spending that much even if I had it. Its a over size round chair with the half moon ottoman that slides up against it. The table drops down and slides back out of way. There is a young sister who was married recently that is eager to give the kids a new home. She just needs to wait till I get something I kind delivered.
-
I wanted to give my sectional sofa to someone who needed some furniture because my apartment is so small it feels like my living room is all sofa. So I have a love hate with recliners. Enjoy the comfort but they are such an eye sore. I have a picture window that I thought about putting two nice chairs on either side of my copper tub bar and making a conversation area. When I entertain I can reserve the club room that van hold about 60 comfortably and has a full kitchen with a large screen tv and game console. So anyone that visits me would be limited comfortably to 6. Tight quarters. So I thought I would splurge a little and go find two chairs that are pretty and functional. Boy did I find them. Not in regular big chain stores like Basset, Mathis Brothers or Ashley's but a high end Lewis Alan Design Gallery. Gallery should have been my clue. I walked in and there was the chair of my dreams calling 'Leslie, look over here. Come sit and feel the comfort that can be yours. Feel the long Australian sheep fur and the sleek wood table that swings to the side. Notice the wood barrell back and trade mark design of its exclusive designer. Come. Sit. Dream.' I honestly tried to walk away but my neck was was on swivel and I simply had to circle back. I could see it in front of the window and feel the way it could swivel to face the fireplace without having to get out of the chair and move it. I saw myself sitting back in silk pajamas sippu v my RED wine not a worry about spilling it on the 6 inch long plush fur. So soft it felt like air. I told myself be practical. Think how my Poppy and Maggie would want to get up and snuggle on its fur. What if they thought it was an animal and peed on it? But I still could not walk away. I casually walked closer and turned the information tag over. WHAT?!?!? I STOPPED breathing. The sales man said such a work if art. And with 25% off it's a steal. I gasped is that the price or the model number? No Madame he said that is the same price with a courteous discount. It was 16477.00 after 25% off. I knew I could not afford that. It felt sinful to even think about spending that much. But I sure did want it. I looked carefully at it from all angles knowing that in paradise I will grown my own tree and learn carpentry skills and sewing skills and learn how to shave lambs and treat the wool and leather. Dye the leather and wool. I will have one in every color and make one for any friend who wants one. I have never had a piece of furniture speak to me but this one certainly did. In fact it's still talking but I am covering my ears. I did find a camel leather with tall wooded legs and tufted wing back design which was drool worthy. But alas no can do that one either. 9k for each is still too much. Think of what that could mean in contributions for our friends. When did I get so reasonable? I'm limiting myself to 3k for two chairs but I may have to concede to an ugly design that actually looks like a recliner. But if you want a chair like this sign my waiting list now. I figure a 100 years to grow the trees and cut the wood, then there is all the other steps involved. But it will be worth it.
-
I do have a smart tv. Phillips Roku TV 65 inch under 1;year old. Just can't figure it out. So much I can't figure out. Its embarrassing. Now I have 7 remotes in my living room and can never find the right one. FP remote, picture frame remote for Kincaid portrait, DVD , a remote for a faux tree, the music remote and the tv, Roku, and Xiaomi! I'm to the point I need to attach them with a string to each device!
-
I have always thought this. Unfortunately I live in a very small seniors unit--total 550 sq ft with my two small companions. I have started prepping on a small scale but I have NO room to store. I go between buying some things I think will be necessary in order to share with friends. Then I think as I step over and move things around why am I doing this? Don't I believe Jehovah will provide for his people and recall the manna miraculously provided. Then I think well, we have been cautioned to have a few things ready because wouldn't we be short sighted not too? You can see this weighs terribly on my mind. I have no water saved. I live in a senior complex of 80 individual units and there are 9 of us that are witnesses. All the rest of witnesses here are in my neighboring shared hall. I think this will be my basement buddy scenerio. I have all ready shared special meals with them and am disappointed because no one has ever come by to see me. But I will be ready to share. I bought a sterno stove and 12 cans of sterno that will last 6 hrs each. I have life water straws and a hand crank radio, a solar phone and iPad charger . A back pack full of whatever came in it. I don't want to open it because I fear I won't get everything back inside. I am thinking about buying a bed tent. Google them. I lived in an RV which was very nice-FP, dishwasher , washer)dryer, etc for two years after Rick died. There was a whole winter I wish I knew about a bed tent. Propane does not last long, then everything would freeze. My hair on top of my head froze to the wall one night. Decided that would be the last winter I would stay in an RV. Not to mention living in tornado alley. I figure if I have no electric due to any number of possible reasons the tent on my comfy bed would hopefully allow my two furries and I an enclosed small shelter out of the weather and maybe we could possibly provide enough body heat to stay warm. Poppy is only three pounds so it is unlikely he will be much help but GOSH IS HE ADORABLE! MAGGIE MAE my 10 pound Boston Terrier well it just goes without saying. She is a snugglers delight . There are so many old hippies here I guess I could always open windows and breathe in the weed fortified air if I get to down and depressed. It's really eye opening to see three old codgers sitting around in camp chairs passing a joint around, they are honestly 12 feet from my kitchen window. I never imagined a senior complex looking like this! I have never smoked dope (except for two occasions when I was in my 30s) but I might be forced into changing that. If you ever want to check on me and I'm talking out if my mind just blame it on my neighbors.
-
What is your first "where were you when"?
LeslieDean replied to Shawnster's topic in General Discussion & Everyday Chit Chat
MTV...my mom waiting for the premier of Dallas then the cliff hanger for Who shot JR. It was a whole summer of listening to people give their guess on who it might be. Then the commercials were on A LOT. The concluding episode of MASH was anticipated too. -
What is your first "where were you when"?
LeslieDean replied to Shawnster's topic in General Discussion & Everyday Chit Chat
Kennedy assassination. Age 7 Sick home from school and mom had fixed a pallet on the sofa for me to watch TV while she did ironing. I don't remember the TV as much as I remember her being in shock and crying. Moon landing My dad called me to the TV where we watched and he told me to remember this moment as history was being made. NASA SPACE CHALLENGER blew apart shortly after launch and 7 astronauts were lost. Then OKC bombing just dropped kids off at school. Then 9/11 tragedy. 3 births I remember but not as clearly as the 9/11 event. I suspect my next one will be GT realization possibly Armageddeon. -
Yes. Two months ago. First one ever from a neighboring hall.
-
I am on a fixed income from SS benefits. We will get a small increase and the last 3 years since I started it only covers the increase of part B so I don't look for it to be different this year. May I ask how you are coping with the increase in fuel since most need it for work and service? It's mostly retired pioneers out in our hall during the week because the others are working and have families. I'm curious as to how fuel increase will effect our ministry? I always contribute to the gas fund because some are not able. We had an announcement a month ago re contributions being a little shy , you could tell it was an uncomfortable part the elder had to address.
-
Diesel is 6.00 gal here and has been a week or two. I think we are in a state where it is on the low end. I can't imagine how the others are making ends meet. Preppers are sending me emails and texts and I don't know how they are linking me to that. My apartment is only 550 sq feet and I am crowded now.
-
Oklahoman here. Was living in California at the time. A study was still years ahead of my time. But oddly I felt 'extra grief', felt like I could identify more closely for some reason. Years later, having been baptized now 5 years I felt extremely close to the situation. I could recognize it was because of the world HQ being there and all our spiritual family. Now, wherever a disaster strikes that is the first feeling, how are the friends? I immediately pray for them. This closeness I fell now is due to Jehovah alone broadening my empathy for the brotherhood mostly then mankind in general.
-
Landlord follow-up — a written record matters a lot here. If you have not already, ask for a written response to conversation, not just a verbal answer, in case you need it later. Documentation of the abuse — if there's any history (police reports, a past protective order, anything), now's the time to gather it. If there's no protective order and the fear is well-founded, this might be worth looking into, especially since he'll be a regular presence in the building. Elders/congregation support — since she's a sister, this could be something she'd want to loop in an elder on, both for practical support and for spiritual encouragement through it. Sounds like you might already be one of the people she's leaning on. The pregnancy angle — worth remembering this is also just a lot for her emotionally: an estranged daughter, a strained relationship (being called "Lori" instead of "Mom" says a lot), and now proximity to an abusive ex all landing at once. She may need as much emotional support as practical help right now. Does the building have any policies in effect that may help you re first established residency and ones seeking accomodations if a history of problems exist? I asked chatgpt to see what guidelines it may have and above is what it spit out
-
This was along the lines I was thinking. Plus while half the world is sleeping the other half is awake. I always am fascinated by an old trailer for the original Andy Griffin show. Andy is encouraging Opie about importance of history class at school He said 'Dont you want to hear about the shot heard around the world?' not until 30 years later while I was studying with JWs did I learn the meaning of that!
-
Pomegranite Lacquered Pot Roast . From my Secret Pantry Section. Pomegranate-Lacquered-Pot-Roast.docx
-
Aunt Lavina's Take on Tacos A Midnight Road Trip and a Crowded Kitchen I was a little girl when my parents decided to take a spur of the moment vacation to Redding, California, and down to LA. My dad was a brick mason, and when one job finished he would look for the next one to start. He was well known at his trade and always in demand, and he eventually became the union president and business agent for the city of Tulsa. Before taking on his next big job, he decided he would go home, wake Mom up, and tell her to pack because we were going to California. I remember his booming voice when he came home shortly before midnight, telling Mom to get up and pack because we were leaving now. My dad always made spontaneous decisions without a second thought to my mother's opinion. So, ever the dutiful wife, she packed our bags and made a pallet for me in the back seat, where the window meets the dash. You have to remember that was the ‘fun’ place for kids to ride back then — that way they could see the car that was about to rear-end you and hurl them into the air. No seat belts, no safety laws. But a blanket and a pillow and a bed with a view was the coveted place to ride. My dad always drove straight through except for a nap at the roadside rest stops. I even remember him picking up several hitchhikers along the way, much to my mother's dissatisfaction. But we all lived. My Aunt Lavina was married to a Mexican man, and he taught her the way around a Mexican kitchen. I'm so glad he did. She made tacos the night we arrived, and the kitchen was filled with wonderful aromas and the sound of laughter as the adults gathered around the table and played cards. That was the first time I ever remember eating a taco, but I knew it would not be the last. I know this recipe will not sit well as an authentic dish, but it is one I feel you should at least try. My mom and dad took this version home, and this is how they forever made it. Tacos and Mexican restaurants were rare in the 1960s in Oklahoma. I thought this was the best thing I had ever imagined. Then in the ’70s a few fast food chains and restaurants sprang up, but none was ever as good — until we moved to LA and began eating at all the mom and pop restaurants. That is where my love for Mexican dishes was truly cemented. But my start was in my Aunt Lavina's crowded kitchen, after a spontaneous road trip initiated by a father in the middle of the night. Aunt Lavina's Tacos Serves a crowd — plan for one taco per plate; they're enormous. For the Filling 2 lb ground beef, browned with minced onion and your own taco seasoning blend (Aunt Lavina used her own; use yours) 3 (15 oz) cans pinto beans with jalapeño, simmered until thick Once both are cooked, combine and pulse briefly in a blender until just blended — not smooth, just unified For the Shells 12-inch flour tortillas Lard, for shallow frying For the Assembly Line Sharp cheddar, grated Lettuce, shredded Tomato, chopped Onion, diced Sour cream Homemade salsa Avocado slices, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime Method Heat lard in a shallow pan and fry each flour tortilla just a few seconds per side — only until it bubbles up and forms nice brown bubbles. Stack the fried tortillas on a platter. Form an assembly line. The first person spreads a generous portion of the meat and bean filling inside each shell. The next person adds a generous handful of grated sharp cheddar over the warm filling. The next adds shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and diced onion. The last in line places the crowning touch: a dollop of sour cream and homemade salsa, two slices of avocado, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lime. Serve immediately — one taco covers the entire plate. Leslie's Note: This is not an authentic taco by any stretch, and Aunt Lavina would have been the first to tell you so with a laugh. But it is the taco that taught me what a kitchen full of people who love each other sounds like — cards shuffling, laughter rising over the stove, and a platter passed hand to hand until something humble became a feast.
About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.