JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

16 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I do have the option to make the Monthly view the default for everyone instead of the Overview page

I might make the monthly view the default then for everyone. Going to the Events page make one think they are at qapla.com :D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

12 hours ago, Br. Ice said:

I noticed that topics that are a year old are now open for comments. Even topics that are more than 10 years old.

Is that part of the update?

That was another add-on that probably stopped working with the update. There are a lot of add-ons that improve aspects of the site, but they often create issues when there is an update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coming tonight...

JWTalk 22.12.4

• Fixed issue where users could receive notifications for content that had been hidden.
  • Added support for TikTok, Twitch, Vimeo and SpotMe online events in the Calendar. (see above).
  • Fixed an issue where a future published topic has a different start date than the first post date.
  • Improved image loading speed in albums or categories with a large amount of images
  • Facebook Promotional Tools removed (Facebook no longer allows API posting to groups and pages) - No action required
  • Added Twitch & Discord to list of theme Social Profiles.
  • Fixed an issue where Guests could access the Activity Streams when guest access was disabled.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 6 months later...

JWTalk 23.6.24 

• Upgraded server to MySQL 8 to be compatible with future upgrades.

Upcoming changes include a significant upgrade, and then moving JWTalk Community to a new server.

15 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I'm sure doing these upgrades can be a real pain-in-the-foot

He was kicking around the idea of rebooting anyway...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

With his leg injury, let's hope he doesn't kick too many things around and I'm not sure he is up to booting up that foot just yet ... unless it is an orthopedic boot.

Since Bob's needs to keep the weight off that leg and should keep it raised when possible, sitting in from of the computer, doing all the updates must be quite a task.

Thanks, Bob, for what you are doing, just don't push things!

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

I'm sure doing these upgrades can be a real pain-in-the-foot

Sometimes. I've crashed the site a few times doing so, and the  next one is fairly big because we're a couple versions behind. Then IPS 5.0 is in the works which will be a major overhaul. Anytime the first digit changes it usually means they are rewriting the code from the ground up. 

After things are up to date and functional, I need to move the community off my personal server. The site has outgrown my machine.

JWTalk 23.6.25

This is not a complete list of the changes. These are just the ones that may have affected you in the past and has been addressed. 

Special new features from the developer…

Core

• Added support for Emoji 14.
  • Improved performance in some situations when posting content.
  • Updated CKEditor to 4.20.1.
  • Re-enabled Grammarly in CKEditor.
  • Added pagination to the Edit History screen.
  • Show "Success" message above the form after a user changes their password.
  • Items in the "Our Picks" widget carousel no longer have a cropped border.
  • Upgraded Google Fonts API to v2 with improved performance using font-display:swap;
  • Imported font-weight:500 for Google fonts resulting in improved font rendering.
  • Redesigned the share/promote buttons so they sit on a single line on mobiles.
  • Updated the background-color of some social icons to match their actual brand color.
  • Sticky announcements will now always stick to the top of the window, instead of only being sticky within the header element.
  • Widgets have received a IU polish, with a few alignment bugs solved.
  • The alignment of topic prefix icons (pinned, featured, etc) has been improved.
  • Breadcrumbs no longer truncate long titles. They will now wrap to a new line if necessary.
  • Added a minimum of one day end date to Alerts.
  • Fixed an issue where older iOS devices (<13.4) had images and other elements that would not load.
  • Fixed an issue where older browsers and iOS versions may not display editor/images.
  • Fixed an issue where deleting a post from a hidden topic could remove the topic from the activity streams.
  • Fixed an issue where users could edit comments that were hidden by a moderator.
  • Allow users to reply to alerts even if they have messenger restrictions that would prevent them from doing so.
  • Allow iOS/Safari notifications from Safari 16.4 onwards.
  • Added password resets to administrator logs.
  • Added email icons for Twitch and Discord.
  • Fixed an issue where moderators were not sent email notification of new reports.
  • Fixed an issue where Twitter Emoji no longer loads (The CDN providing the images shut down).
  • Fixed an issue where auto-saved editor contents would not clear when the editor was on a tab.
  • Fixed an issue where Administrators with permissions to view moderator statistics got a no-permission error.
  • Fixed an issue where mentions did not use the color specified in the theme settings.
  • Fixed an issue where share links were using http protocol instead of https.
  • Relocated the forum title in the forum grid UI for forums, resulting in better contrast.
  • Simplified the UI of the expanded view while viewing a topic list.
  • Post controls (Edit, Quote, etc.) are now always vertically aligned to the bottom of posts.
  • Added Support for Cookie Consent.
  • Added support for forcing tags to be listed alphabetically.
  • Members can no longer react to content if they have unacknowledged warnings.
  • Fixed an issue where viewing the members content on his profile may show an error while viewing some reviews.
  • Added og:image tags for first 4 image attachments.
  • The topic summary was removed for future topics.
  • Fixed an issue where publishing a scheduled topic did not properly update the last post information on the forums.

Files Library

• Added status badges (pinned, hidden, etc) to the grid view.
  • Padding has been added to grid cells while viewing files in profiles.

·       Fixed an issue where deleting previous versions generated a template error.

·       Added a new category grid view.

Gallery

• Added some customization options to the Overview page.
  • Now, when searching for images via the "Insert other attachment" editor option, searching by album name returns images from that album.
  • Removed profile tab image view preferences for guests to make it consistent with other areas where preferences can't be saved.
  • Gallery got a Visual refresh.
  • Added gallery overview page to better highlight Gallery activity.
  • Added support for prefetching next and previous images.
  • Added a member profile extension for Gallery images.
  • Set default album sort to match the default sort on a category.
  • Improved performance of image view when categories/albums are ordered by recently updated.
  • Fixed an issue where hidden images may appear in profiles.
  • Fixed an issue where it was possible in some circumstances for a private album title to show in Activity Stream.
  • Fixed an issue where gallery videos could not be inserted as existing attachments in the editor.

Events

• Added links to subscribe to and download iCal events on the overview page.
  • Fixed an issue where the "All Calendars" dropdown link would load the overview page instead of monthly view.
  • Fixed an issue with links to calendars when the default view was not set to overview.
  • Fixed an issue where events may show on the wrong time.

Yeah! Its back!

That was the longest 18 hours, 42 minutes and 32 seconds of my life! :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Yeah! Its back!

That was the longest 18 hours, 42 minutes and 32 seconds of my life! :lol1:

No kidding. That stunk.

I started at 9:30pm, watched it crash, and tried trouble shooting until 3am and then had to get some sleep. I got up at 6:30am and went right back to it.

Invision Tech Support opened at 9am. They said it was on my end. Yay 🙄

It was. But I couldn't make the needed change in phpMyAdmin because it kept throwing the same error message that the upgrader was showing. I got some help to save the database offline, make the change, and then reimport it, which worked.

And you know what the issue was?

A particular EMOJI in the title of a post!

35 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I hope it was a happy emoji 😊

It was actually a sad face with a tear drop, lol. How fitting.

19 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You deleted that EMOJI - right?!?!

No, it still exists. But those 2 database table has been changed to InnoDB and accepts utf8mb4 now.

The error message when I tried to change the engine to INNODB myself were as follows...

ALTER TABLE `ipb_core_message_topics` ENGINE = INNODB;

MySQL said: 

#1366 - Incorrect string value: '\xED\xA0\xBD\xED\xB8\xB4' for column 'mt_title' at row 2678

and

ALTER TABLE `ipb_tapatalk_push_data` ENGINE = INNODB;

MySQL said: 

#1366 - Incorrect string value: '\xED\xA0\xBD\xED\xB1\x8B...' for column 'title' at row 4284

That string value translates to the tear drop emoji. Since it was in both "message topics" and "tapatalk" titles it was clearly used in a subject line. For whatever reason it was accepted when posted, but made MySQL angry last night. But I did just upgrade to a new version of MySQL so maybe that is why. The new version probably has tighter security.

Since many text strings for emoji's are punctuation marks combined - I can see how one could have worked before and not now - since punctuation marks are also used in programing

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Yikes!  Thanks for your hard work.  Those database anomalies are frustrating.  Especially when it's all vague about what's causing it.  In my job, Sybase Anywhere did something similar a few years back.  An upgrade caused it to no longer read a : as a string, but started reading it as a function, causing anything with Ste:  or Unit: in the address to come back with an invalid token value.  Guess who got blamed for that little fiasco.  Not Sybase!  We ended up having to update everything to Ste:: or Unit:: for it to work.  You guys have some real skillz.  I don't know if I would have figured that one out.